Exmark with 19hp Kawasaki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, first post on the site, but have been leeching info from it for years. I have been on a tear rebuilding carburetors and getting all of the small engines running, and have a question about a mower. My mom has a Exmark Lazer Z HP with a 19hp Kawasaki FH601V engine, and it is due for it's yearly tuneup. My stepdad and brother used to just take it to the dealer, but my stepdad passed away and my brother has zero technical knowlege. I would prefer to start doing all of the maintenance myself, but am stuck on what to put in the mower.

Exmark has oil the dealer will sell me obviously, and Exmark recommends a straight 30 weight still. My short list so far is AMSOIL ASE, AMSOIL ACD, Motul 5100, or Rotella 10w30. Without getting into a match with all of the dealers that troll these forums, I would prefer not to use AMSOIL for my own reasons. I use Motul 800 2T in three weedeaters and our chainsaw, so staying in the Motul family would be nice if possible and the 5100 can handle a hot running air cooled v-twin in TN summers.

I did see this thread, ( http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=489121 ) but wonder what all has changed in seven years and if there is anything better now. The mower is around 12 years old or so, but only has 320 hours on it as of yesterday, so long oil change intervals aren't in the mix since it only gets 25-30 hours a year on it before we change the oil again. With the oil change I will be buying Napa Gold oil filters for it, and will also do a hydraulic fluid change with Exmark recommended filter and fluid. Thanks for any help you can give!

That's a fantastic mower. I'd use the Rotella. Kawasaki sells a 10w-30 for their small engines and it's similar to rotella.

Extend the life of your Kawasaki engine with specially-formulated, premium K-Tech engine oil, specifically designed for use in Kawasaki engines and ideal for all engines where API, CJ-4, SL and JASO MA oil is recommended. Tested and approved by Kawasaki engineering and refined in the U.S.A.

• Meets JASO MA

• API Service CJ-4 and SL

• Designed to keep today’s high-performance, low-emission
engines running clean and operating at peak efficiency

• Protects against excessive viscosity increase at high temperatures

• Manufactured with the latest additive technologies
to provide superior performance in both diesel and
gasoline engines

• Proven oil consumption control in heavy-duty service

• Excellent shear stability assures stay-in-grade performance

• 10W-30 synthetic blend oil provides ultimate performance and protection in both low and high temperature applications, including cold-weather startup

1 Quart Bottle SAE 10W-30 99969-6081

http://www.kawpowr.com/engines/accdetails.aspx?id=13

Last edited:
Welcome aboard AndyRG. I maintain an Exmark HP (23hp)at my workplace.

If you study lawnsite.com, you will find that the pro's use 30wt, 10w30, 5w40, and 15w40 with success. In my opinion, it kind of boils down to your bias and personal choice. I'm a by the book fella, so I sway towards Exmark/Kawasaki's recommendation of 30wt. first, 10w30 o.k. (but watch for consmption).

I prefer HDEO oils in these hard working machines. I used Rotella 30 wt. until they took off the gasoline certification (even though I was told it was still o.k. ....my quirkiness).

I'm trying Exmark's 30/10w30 oil for the second season (similar to ASE). I have a UOA here (I thought it sheared a bit with 70 hrs. on it).

Many here will say you could go 2 years with your low use or that you don't need synthetic. Others will laugh at specialty oils, but with a sump of about 2 quarts, who cares? (you're not breaking the bank).

Rotella T5 10w30 is a synthetic blend that should work well, but even regular Rotella would be good. Kohler oil is HDEO in 30wt. or 10w30.

Exmark also has their "own" hydraulic oil that they tout is better than the "now watered down" Mobil 1 15w50. Who knows, but they did increase the service interval with their oil (check their site).

Good luck. Sorry, but you will get as many recommendations as there are oil types. My only real one is to stay with HDEO types.

Thanks for the input guys! I browse lawnsite quite a bit, but have never registered. Personal preference I would like to stay in the 30/10w30 range, and our normal mowing weather is 60°-100° at most. Sticking with a HDEO is why I looked at the Rotella 10w30, and I will change the oil every season regardless of hours so a full synthetic really isn't needed. With that said, with these small sumps it really isn't a money decision either since even the best synthetics would only be about $20 per year.

I called the local Exmark dealer to ask if anything had changed in the last 10 years or so on the Mobil1 15w50 recommendation for the hydraulics, and he confirmed that they don't recommend it anymore due to Mobil having to change the formula so much for cars. I am a bit of a stickler (as most on here undoubtedly are) when it comes to lubricants, that's why I run Motul 800 in my $100 Troy-Bilt weedeeater.
smile.gif

Maybe I'm over-thinking things just a touch with my short OCI, but there's no reason this mower shouldn't last the rest of my life and I want to ensure that. I can find Rotella T 10w30, but for the life of me and all my Google-fu I can't find T5 in 10w30. They list it on their site, but nowhere can I find it for sale online. Any hints?

I put delo400 in my FX481V they recommend 10w40 over 80 degrees so I didn't think a 15w40 would make much difference. Doesn't get below 40 where I'm at and if it does I'm not mowing that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back