VW G13 - the best coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for the best coolant for my car - 2003 Fiat Punto, 1.2 60 hp FIRE engine with aluminum cylinder head and cast iron block. Now (since 2003) I use Petronas Paraflu UP OAT coolant - http://www.pli-petronas.eu/products_list.aspx?brand=PARAFLU&idLingua=2 . I'm going to flush the cooling system, do something to stop a minor leak (what do you think about Prestone Flush and Prestone Sealer?) and then refill the system with VW group G13 coolant (TL 774J). Is G13 better than G12++? Is there anything better on the market (European market, here Mercedes or BMW OEM coolants are widely available)?

I'm here to find a better solution than "what manual says" and to find the answer for two questions: "Is there anything better on the market than G13 coolant?" and "Is it a good idea to use G13 coolant in the engine with block made of cast iron and aluminum cylinder head?" "Use what your manual says" is definitely not the answer that I expected.
BTW manual says "Petronas Paraflu UP"

G13 is the G12's replacement. You can still buy G12++ as far as I know from aftermarket vendors, but the last time I checked the local dealer parts counter only had G13. I've found it's cheaper to buy at the dealer. Not sure as being the "best" coolant, but I know VW's can be finicky about it. It's been used in vehicles with aluminum heads for years...

EWPE, your Fiat uses a factory coolant that would be the equal of Volkswagen's old G-11, BMW's blue coolant, Pentosin's Pentofrost NF, and Glysantin's G-48 coolant.This type of coolant uses a sacrificial corrosion inhibitor that makes coolant replacement mandatory in the 3-4 year time frame.

An upgrade to VW's G-13 (TL-774J) would be a wonderful upgrade and it is perfectly compatible with the coolant that you presently have in your system. This is convenient because it is nearly impossible to get a complete system flush when doing a coolant change.

My recommendation would be to source Glysantin GG40 if you can find it at an auto store. If not available then VW/Audi will be your source for the G-13. Always use distilled water since most water in Europe has heavy mineral deposits which cause contamination even with high quality coolants.

The current Fiat coolant is a perfectly acceptable fluid also. BMW has remained with this coolant for ages.

You're lucky to have access to Glysantin products freely. I'd look for:
GG40 (current VW G-13)
G40 (former VW G-12++ and still available)
G30 (former VW G-12)
or your current fill of G-48 (VW TL-774-C, BMW N600 69.0). The G48 requires replacement on 3-4 year basis while the other products are listed at lifetime which means 5 year/160,000km basis.

I would say that the formulations are very similar. They both meet the VW specification so they couldn't differ too greatly.

Hepu is another German brand and is quite common. If that is the most readily available for you then that is what I'd use. I have put HEPU G-13 in several Volkswagen cars because that is what the parts supplier included in their timing belt kits.

In Europe (Germany specifically) the OEM coolants are BASF Glysantin. In other parts of the world the coolants are made under license from BASF by other companies. The manufacturer is really not important as long as the product is made to the specification. Ashland/Valvoline makes the BMW (G-11) and VW/Audi coolants (G-13) in the United States.

I like the G-13 so well that I have it in my Nissan, BMW, Volkswagen, and even my John Deere lawn mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back