5w 30 vs 5w 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a firm believer in Shell Rotella oils. That being said my wife's Turbo requires full synthetic 5w 40. The recommended oil in mine is 5w 30 (2015 Genesis V8 5.0) however I do have a good stock of the 5w 40 full syn. I see no problem using this in my ride however I ask the question to the experts out there in case I am missing something.

Use it...nothing will explode
smile.gif

After seeing how high its Noack is, i am not all that impressed with rotella 5w40 anymore.

Also, Your Fiat calls for an oil spec which the rotella does not meet. Is this a concern for you being under warranty?

Main monetary concern would be warranty, unless things are different in Montreal.
My recommendation would be to buy and use the oil weight that each car is specced for.
One option could be to try a 0w30 like M1 Afe or a 10w30, you'd still be in grade at least.

Picking up on what Quattro Pete asked, does this car actually require a certain grade or does it have a specification instead?

Originally Posted By: _Hans_
I am a firm believer in Shell Rotella oils. That being said my wife's Turbo requires full synthetic 5w 40. The recommended oil in mine is 5w 30 (2015 Genesis V8 5.0) however I do have a good stock of the 5w 40 full syn. I see no problem using this in my ride however I ask the question to the experts out there in case I am missing something.

I wouldn't be using that oil in either car!

Unless your criteria for choosing a proper oil is "nothing will explode"

Use the recommended viscosity oil in your Genesis.

And I wouldn't use RT6 in your wife's turbocharged Fiat. M1 0w40 or PUE 5w40 would be more appropriate.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
I wouldn't be using that oil in either car!

Unless your criteria for choosing a proper oil is "nothing will explode"

LoL....what can go wrong at large displacment N/A engine.....no turbo....no compressor...low HP/per liter

Do u realy need to complicate that much? OK could be catalyst converter that request for som special low saps spec...but again we (well YOU) are in Murrica....no big concern about that t
opic either (in comparison to EU)

Sorry if I am anoying...but it is realy funny reading people wich are complicating about things that are really not relevant...

Same aplies to other SUBforums....firearms....gearbox oil...ordinary topics/debate etc etc etc...

From distance you realy look like nation of FEAR
smile.gif

AFAIK Hyundai requires 5w-20 or 5w-30 in their engines. I am certain Rotella T6 would work just fine but for warranty's sake I would run 5w-30.

Pick your favorite full synthetic flavor of 5w-30 and change at the factory OCI's

Well I guess the majority says I should stick with factory weights which is what I expected to hear.
smirk.gif
As for the 5L V8 it is rather sophisticated being direct injection and developing 420hp so not exactly a party pooper. Being in Canada I do mostly all my oil changes as the dealers here are nuts. They want $120 to change the oil in my Genesis and that is with 5w 30 dino oil. Up grade to synthetic and that would probably add another $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back