gear oil for my 1950 ford car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to use some 140w gear oil, (due to leakage, and only summer use) but certainly do not want GL5. I believe it originally called for GL1, but I don't know where to find that locally. I did find that both Chevron (RPM) and Smittys (SuperS) offer it according to their websites, but where do you buy it. I did e-mail them both to see if they can give me any info, so we will see if they get back to me
But then, maybe GL4 (not Gl4/5) is ok ?? I can find that locally at Oreily's for a reasonable price or at TSC in 80/90 w

Last edited:
Is the application rear differential, or manual transmission?

If its rear diff, then I don't think using GL-4 or GL-5 should be a problem. GL-5 is a problem with copper-containing manual trans synchros. GL-4 should certainly be OK for rear gears.

OOps, I did forget to mention that I need it for the transmission. 3speed,no overdrive. I have GL4/5 for the differential.

probably better off using motor oil, convert the motor oil "weight" to gear oil "weight"

SAE 90 GL1 oil is available at most NAPA stores. If it isn't in stock, they can order it for you. You could also use an SAE 40 engine oil or a good GL4 oil. I've used all of those oils in old Studebaker transmissions which are close relatives to your Ford with good results.

Use a GL4. 75w90 GL4 is available from Ford, Amsoil, Redline, and you can also find GL4 in 80w90 and 85w90. Napa usually has GL4.

For the leak, add a couple ounces of Lucas Stopleak or Stabilizer, or equivalent motor honey goop.

I wanted to try 140 due to some leakage, but can only find it in GL4. (Not 4/5.) But read somewhere that although it has considerable less of the ingredient that is bad for the yellow metals it still is not the best. Super S has it (GL1 140w) but don't know where to get it.

Actually, I think I have been over thinking it. I can easily get either 90 or 140 in a straight GL4, so I think I will pick one and use it, as most everybody says that GL4 is ok for yellow metals anyway.

Here's a chart, but you're right: 140 is above a motor oil viscosity.

viscosity_table_2.jpg

Originally Posted By: old1
Super S has it (GL1 140w) but don't know where to get it.

Oriely's has 140w GL4

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back