Nissan 3.5 VQ - oil to protect timing chain guides

Status
Not open for further replies.
What most people are saying is that the startup rattle will damage the plastic chain guides over time, and the chain can wear more and eventually might jump a tooth and screw up the timing.

It would be nice if manufacturers would build in some sort of maintenance port where you could open the port and have a window on the timing chain to check chain stretch.

I mean - I have a $5.00 tool to check chain stretch on my bicycles. When it gets to .75 over - replace chain. Simple. Which is about 2000 miles for me on my long distance bike usually.

It would be nice to be able to do that with my cars. I have some startup rattle on my Kia and I'm wondering if I should replace the guides, or replace the guides and chain, or just do nothing. The car is just about 100K.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
It would be nice if manufacturers would build in some sort of maintenance port where you could open the port and have a window on the timing chain to check chain stretch.

Mitsubishi has something like that on the 4B11T.

There is a sensor attached to the timing chain tensioner. As the chain and guides wear, the tensioner picks up the slack. A warning light goes on if the tensioner has gone out to far. Some call it "The orange triangle of death"

I'm not sure if other engines use this feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back