are small trucks gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
or that I should buy a Panther for a cheap long distance commuter

Come to think of it, that's a pretty ironic example. If size/cost are everything, the vast majority of cars on the road should be Crown Vics. Why would anyone put up with anything smaller?
wink.gif

It is, isn't it?

I bought a small station wagon when I was expecting family, and I think it worked well; but it irked me to no end when I would use it on the weekends to move stuff. Always too small. But during the week it was just fine. Great size. For a commuter. Still like the size for a commuter. As I think about its replacement it too will be a compact. If it's just me and up to two kids, why do I need more? A Vic is going to be more of a nuisance in those cases.

Because at the point you're considering scrapping your VW, a Vic is ready for another 150,000 miles!

If there was a market, there'd be sales.

There is a whole lot more to it than that. Namely profit margins, CAFE, and safety equipment. Still, even with barriers to entry in a segment, ignoring it is shortsighted. Toyota is hanging on to this segment and GM is getting back into it for a reason.

Quote:

Compact trucks got sales because they were cheap to buy.

Not necessarily. My parents bought a small truck specifically because they prefer driving smaller vehicles, and because full size trucks barely fit in their garage. Cost was way down on the priorities list.

I bought a small truck because the size was just right for me.

Quote:

Need a full frame with towing or heavy weight? Well, if it's a working truck... why not a real truck? Instead of paying nearly the same cost as a full sized, just buy a full sized in the first place.

Oh please...this again. Is your VW not a real car? It's small, so it can't be real. You need a Crown Vic or Sedan DeVille if you want a real car. Why didn't you buy one of those instead?

My "fake truck" has done more "real truck" stuff than the vast majority of "real trucks." Tens of thousands of miles of towing, and over 1K lbs. in the bed more times than I can remember. One time when it was covered in dust and mud, I took a load of scrap metal to the recycler...when they were weighing it, they put it down as a "brown F-150" on the scale slip...the truck is a black Ranger. No, I have never hauled a 4x8 sheet of plywood in it, because I have never needed to (according to many 1/2 ton "real truck" owners, trucks are for hauling a 4x8 sheet of plywood, and in the off chance they ever do that, they need a crew cab Long Horn Texas Edition).

My truck has also spent most of its life in urban areas. There have been MANY times I was very happy to have a small truck that could fit in tight parallel spots, alleys, etc. My truck has been parked and driven through many spots a full size simply will not fit.

And beyond the parking advantages, smaller vehicles just drive nice.

No other vehicle I'm aware of does all of those things as well. With a car, I'd sacrifice payload and towing ability, not to mention durability. With a full size, I'd sacrifice maneuverability and space efficiency.

Quote:

When I was shopping I couldn't justify paying nearly the same price for a Tacoma as for a Tundra, not when the Tundra would "do it better" at a slight mpg penalty (which I didn't care about as it was a low mile/year vehicle). If a Taco had been half priced I would have bought differently.

When I was shopping, I couldn't justify the inconvenience of carrying around extra space all the time.

Why would you expect the Tacoma to be half priced from the Tundra? It isn't half of a Tundra. It's more than 3/4ths of a Tundra, so I would expect it to be more than 3/4ths the price of one.

Originally Posted By: KzMitch
I think there's a market for them. But much of it has to do with profit. There's a lot more "meat on the bone" with a $35,000 sale than a $14,500 sale.

Exactly. It's not that the market isn't there, it's that there are a number of outside variables working against small trucks. Larger trucks are easier to profit on.

Unfortunately, our gov't has mandated small trucks out of profitability. The CAFE regs and mandated complexity of vehicles is just making it too difficult to build and sell good small trucks in the US. Most of the world has them, and buys them in huge numbers, but they aren't saddled with all the regulations we are.

The new Colorado is a good shot, and I have high hopes for it. The problem is though, the outside is almost the size of a Silverado, and the inside is about the size of my Ranger's interior.

My lowly unibody Jeep Cherokee has done more real work than a lot of the brodozers around. I know a few people who always brag about how awesome it is to have a "big truck" (4 door truck with micro 5' bed) ... yet they are renting trucks because they don't want to get theirs scratched or whatever they are trying to haul won't fit in the bed.

I've towed, I've hauled and I off road with my Cherokee. When I get a house, no doubt I will be moving building supplies around. The biggest I expect to go, if I get a truck, is a Ranger. And even with that, I'll probably just stick to using the Cherokee with a trailer.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Because at the point you're considering scrapping your VW, a Vic is ready for another 150,000 miles!

I bet getting that extra 150k out of both vehicles will be similar in costs and effort. Getting almost any vehicle to go another 150k is a test of the owner's willingness to shoulder the cost and effort--any vehicle can have parts thrown at. Engine and transmission swap? Sure, why not? Got rust issues? That's what welders are for.

Some vehicles are cheaper to do repairs on. A Vic may well be that (almost certainly compared to a VW). But neither will go the distance without significant repairs. Clutches, automatic transmissions, injectors, O2 sensors...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
If there was a market, there'd be sales.

There is a whole lot more to it than that. Namely profit margins, CAFE, and safety equipment. Still, even with barriers to entry in a segment, ignoring it is shortsighted. Toyota is hanging on to this segment and GM is getting back into it for a reason.

Quote:

Compact trucks got sales because they were cheap to buy.

Not necessarily. My parents bought a small truck specifically because they prefer driving smaller vehicles, and because full size trucks barely fit in their garage. Cost was way down on the priorities list.

I bought a small truck because the size was just right for me.

Quote:

Need a full frame with towing or heavy weight? Well, if it's a working truck... why not a real truck? Instead of paying nearly the same cost as a full sized, just buy a full sized in the first place.

Oh please...this again. Is your VW not a real car? It's small, so it can't be real. You need a Crown Vic or Sedan DeVille if you want a real car. Why didn't you buy one of those instead?

My "fake truck" has done more "real truck" stuff than the vast majority of "real trucks." Tens of thousands of miles of towing, and over 1K lbs. in the bed more times than I can remember. One time when it was covered in dust and mud, I took a load of scrap metal to the recycler...when they were weighing it, they put it down as a "brown F-150" on the scale slip...the truck is a black Ranger. No, I have never hauled a 4x8 sheet of plywood in it, because I have never needed to (according to many 1/2 ton "real truck" owners, trucks are for hauling a 4x8 sheet of plywood, and in the off chance they ever do that, they need a crew cab Long Horn Texas Edition).

My truck has also spent most of its life in urban areas. There have been MANY times I was very happy to have a small truck that could fit in tight parallel spots, alleys, etc. My truck has been parked and driven through many spots a full size simply will not fit.

And beyond the parking advantages, smaller vehicles just drive nice.

No other vehicle I'm aware of does all of those things as well. With a car, I'd sacrifice payload and towing ability, not to mention durability. With a full size, I'd sacrifice maneuverability and space efficiency.

Quote:

When I was shopping I couldn't justify paying nearly the same price for a Tacoma as for a Tundra, not when the Tundra would "do it better" at a slight mpg penalty (which I didn't care about as it was a low mile/year vehicle). If a Taco had been half priced I would have bought differently.

When I was shopping, I couldn't justify the inconvenience of carrying around extra space all the time.

Why would you expect the Tacoma to be half priced from the Tundra? It isn't half of a Tundra. It's more than 3/4ths of a Tundra, so I would expect it to be more than 3/4ths the price of one.

I think there's a market for them. But much of it has to do with profit. There's a lot more "meat on the bone" with a $35,000 sale than a $14,500 sale.

Exactly. It's not that the market isn't there, it's that there are a number of outside variables working against small trucks. Larger trucks are easier to profit on.

Unfortunately, our gov't has mandated small trucks out of profitability. The CAFE regs and mandated complexity of vehicles is just making it too difficult to build and sell good small trucks in the US. Most of the world has them, and buys them in huge numbers, but they aren't saddled with all the regulations we are.

The new Colorado is a good shot, and I have high hopes for it. The problem is though, the outside is almost the size of a Silverado, and the inside is about the size of my Ranger's interior.

My lowly unibody Jeep Cherokee has done more real work than a lot of the brodozers around. I know a few people who always brag about how awesome it is to have a "big truck" (4 door truck with micro 5' bed) ... yet they are renting trucks because they don't want to get theirs scratched or whatever they are trying to haul won't fit in the bed.

I've towed, I've hauled and I off road with my Cherokee. When I get a house, no doubt I will be moving building supplies around. The biggest I expect to go, if I get a truck, is a Ranger. And even with that, I'll probably just stick to using the Cherokee with a trailer.
Yup I'd much rather tow with the Cherokee than a Ranger. It's also got a real engine too
whistle.gif

sob8mg.jpg

And as Supton said, that ranger is begging for a leaf spring to snap. It's probably lifted with several more leafs in them and is likely the only reason the rear bumper isn't sitting on the ground.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Yup I'd much rather tow with the Cherokee than a Ranger. It's also got a real engine too
whistle.gif

My uncle's 4.0 Jeep threw a rod and punched a hole through the block at 169k miles. And he drives like a grandma and maintains it well. Yeah, that's a very impressive "real" engine.
smirk.gif
My mom's Explorer (which has the same 4.0 V6 used in Rangers) has 195k on it and is still running strong, AND it's had a much harder life, especially with me behind the wheel for a few years after I first got my license. What makes a Ranger engine not a "real" engine?

And as Supton said, that ranger is begging for a leaf spring to snap. It's probably lifted with several more leafs in them and is likely the only reason the rear bumper isn't sitting on the ground.

I highly doubt it has extra leafs. From what I can see, the axle is hitting the bumpstops and it can't sag any lower. That's why the bumper isn't dragging on the ground.

I can totally relate to the fullsize trucks being too big for your average parking lot at the grocery store, etc. I take the car unless I really need the truck. It's just so much easier. IMO the best way to configure a truck if using as a daily driver is reg cab, short bed, small V-6 like the Ram that gets 25 mpg. That would suit most p/u buyers out there.

whistle.gif

sob8mg.jpg

That Cherokee looks like it is towing air?

What's a real engine? And I think I recall a thread where that Jeep needed internal engine work despite having very low miles? My fake engine has never been opened up, and probably has exponentially more towing miles under its belt than that Cherokee.

Quote:

If that truck was lifted with "several more leafs [sic]," it would be sitting a lot higher than that. It looks bone stock. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

But do tell us more stories about the time you used granny's car to go get a bag of mulch at Home Depot. I always love input in truck threads from people who don't own one and whose experience amounts to borrowing SUVs from family members.

Something like this would be perfect for me, put in a VVT 170-180hp 2.5 4-cyl and a manual trans for high 20's hwy mpg . Spec with 1500lb payload and 4-5k towing and its all I'd need. Pickup a round bale or load of wood on the way home from work, life would be fine!
1280px-Ford_Courier_%28Southeast_Asian%2C_first_generation%29_%28front%29%2C_Serdang.jpg

Lol everybody is all butt hurt. Apparently you missed the winky face at the end of the "real engine" comment and you can't pick up sarcasm.

It was bought from an auction where the state of Arizona owned it for 100k miles and 11 years. It's probably idled as much as a police car. And since when is a timing chain internal engine work? It was a cheap and easy job. That being the only repair other than a $100 radiator that took an hour to replace doesn't sound too bad to me.

That would be nice, save for the fancy tubing. Rear axle looks to be in the wrong place though, slid kinda forward.

We need VW to bring back the Rabbit Pickup! And somebody do an El-Camino again please. Now that all pickups (even the new Colorado) are bloated, its high time.

Black20Caddy.jpg

And I owned an 86' Ranger. Was the biggest turd ever and didnt have much of rear suspension in it.

Lol everybody is all butt hurt. Apparently you missed the winky face at the end of the "real engine" comment and you can't pick up sarcasm.

If I go onto a diesel forum I'll get mocked for own a gasser. I come on here and I'll be mocked for owning a diesel. FWD vs RWD vs AWD, sedan vs hatch, automatic vs manual, nothing is good enough for everyone.

Timing chain is kinda internal though. Timing belt supposedly is designed to be replaced, making it a maintaince item, despite however involved it is; a chain though is supposed to be lifetime. Easy but it counts as repair IMO.

This is a winky face:
wink.gif

This is an I'm trolling face:
whistle.gif

Quote:

It was bought from an auction where the state of Arizona owned it for 100k miles and 11 years. It's probably idled as much as a police car. And since when is a timing chain internal engine work? It was a cheap and easy job. That being the only repair other than a $100 radiator that took an hour to replace doesn't sound too bad to me.

Timing chain at not much past 100K mi = POS
wink.gif
whistle.gif

My fake engine hasn't had the valve covers or timing cover removed, ever.

And I owned an 86' Ranger. Was the biggest turd ever and didnt have much of rear suspension in it.

You should have checked to see where the rear suspension went then. There should have been a leaf pack on each side with 3-4 leaves per pack.

My parents had an '86 Ranger...biggest repair in the life of that truck...one ignition switch.

I've vacationed a few times in Mexico and many of the locals drove a smaller "El Camino" type vehicle. Some were made by VW, and others were Chevrolet (although the emblems said "Chevy"). Remember the Dodge/Plymouth Rampages? Kinda like that.

I think a vehicle like that would sell here. I'd think the 20-something market would be all over it.

(butt-hurt free post)

That being said, it is unfortunate the Subaru Baja didn't catch on here.

+1

Those small trucks that everyone loves in the 80's and 90's and the Ford Ranger up until 2012 'era' is done. The International market for a long time have large "small" pickups like the Hilux and Ford Ranger. The new US Chevy Colorado has what the Philippines had for several years. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford were to introduce the US Ranger to look like this:

drGGudy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back