Motorcraft FL299 vs FL1A oil filter specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering using the Motorcraft FL299 (longer) oil filter on my 460 engine instead of the FL1A filter. Does anyone know what the specs of both of these filters are? I would like to make sure the longer FL299 filter specs are as good or better than the FL1A filter specs. I understand these FL299 filters are being installed on 460 engines on F700 trucks so it appears it should be good.

I contacted WIX regarding their FL299 equivalent WIX #51773. They indicated they were the same except the micron rating for their longer filter was 30 microns compared to their FL1A filter equivalent WIX #51515 which is 20 microns. Cannot find the Motorcraft filters' specs. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

Do you have any information whatsoever that would lead you to believe the capabilities of a FL-1A are insufficient for your application?

It's only natural to think bigger is better when it comes to oil filters, and you'll find many threads on here, and other forums, where people are trying to find an oversize option for their engine.

In reality though, it's rare that'll you ever get close to exceeding the capabilities of a OEM size model, notwithstanding special circumstances (cleaning heavy deposit accumulation, etc.).

The FL-1A is a good filter, most especially for the price.

Great, now we're going to have people wanting to put the FL299 on their Focus.
laugh.gif

It's an easy way to increase oil capacity, increase oil change interval, and lower average oil temps. I'm not worried about micron efficiency. Add a TP bypass filter if you want really filtration.

Might want to check with Luberfiner, Baldwin, Hastings, or Donaldson, ... to see if a synthetic media option is available.

Besides the 51773, you can cross reference 51459 also.

Doesn't Amsoil have an ea026 or eao26?

Thank You for the info. Although I am sure the FL1A filters are adequate, I was looking to see if there was an improvement in oil capacity and lower average oil temps as you mentioned simply by putting on a different filter. I will look into the #51459.

Considering Ford uses these filters on their F700 series 7.0 liter engines, it would appear the micron difference between the FL1A & FL299 is not significant enough?

I highly doubt a larger oil filter is going to lower the average oil temp in any perceivable (or even measurable) way. Painting the can flat black would probably have more effect, as it would then reject more heat by radiation heat transfer, depending on where it's located on the engine.

Where the the FL299 is rated at 32 microns, the FL1A is rated at 20 microns. The wording they use is "smallest particle filtered"

I would recommend the Fram Ultra XG8A to replace the FL1A, which will filter down to 5 microns.

If you are trying to get a better filter in the FL-1A size, Donaldson makes a SYNTEQ version of the FL-1A.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
If you are trying to get a better filter in the FL-1A size, Donaldson makes a SYNTEQ version of the FL-1A.

ooo SYNTEQ, like Qastrol oil!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

ooo SYNTEQ, like Qastrol oil!
crackmeup2.gif

I'm not finding that as funny as you obviously are
21.gif

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/000393.pdf

Originally Posted By: Donaldson
Synteq® Media

Donaldson Endurance® lube filters are made with high performance Synteq® media. The strictly controlled processing of Synteq® media results in fibers that have a controlled size and shape, and a significantly smaller fiber diameter. This controlled processing allows Donaldson Endurance® lube filters to deliver both higher dirt holding capacity at the same pressure differential and higher efficiency compared to conventional cellulose filters. Synteq media also has better durability with usage. Over the service life of a cellulose filter, hot oil will degrade the resins that bind the media. Our Synteq media technology uses a wire screen backing that is pleated with the media for superior
strength.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/070617.pdf
Quote:
At Donaldson, we have a variety of lube filter medias available to meet the most stringent of engine lube system design requirements. Donaldson engineers have a history of developing media technology that exceeds application cleanliness and service life expectations. In fact, Donaldson was the first company to introduce fully synthetic media to the engine lube market in the early 1980s. This media is now commonly adopted for extended life or enhanced engine protection needs. New lube media types are constantly under evaluation in our internal laboratories and in controlled field testing. If you have a specific application requirement, please contact Donaldson to see if there are additional media option to better suit your application.

Originally Posted By: Donaldson

Synteq™ Media (full synthetic media)

This engine lube filter media is constructed of layered, microfiberglass synthetic fibers and is trademarked Synteq™. It provides enhanced durability for extended drain intervals while maintaining or improving efficiency and capacity. Donaldson Synteq lube media also offers lower restriction. Low restriction allows better flow which ensures component protection over a larger range of engine conditions.

The table included in that last link is kind of neat, as some of the filters are insanely efficient (like 99% @ 5 microns).

Anyways, the relevant filter for the OP is the P169071, which is 99% @ 22 microns:

https://dynamic.donaldson.com/WebStore/search/item_detail.html?item=1425045

Comparable efficiency-wise to the FRAM Ultra. I bought a case of them a few years back, they are excellent filters and extremely well constructed.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
There was a thread with pictures of the donaldson filter before and after cut but looks like the photo bucket links are all broken.

DonaldsonP169071-01.jpg

That's one of them.

FL1A still the best bang for the buck if your car spec it. its big and cheap, im suprise ford still making this big size and not going shorter like they did on the FL820S

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back