Donaldson filters efficiency for some common filters (per J1858)

dnewton3

Staff member
Look at the eff rating for some of these common filters:
(I searched the equivalent of FL1A, and FL400, and FL910; just put your known filter xref in the search box at the top)

P550008 ... 99% at 40um
P550400 ... 99% at 40um
P550335 ... 99% at 40um
all per SAE J1858

They may be made well, but honestly there are filters which do a much better job. Unless there's some offsetting positive reason to buy these, I don't think they'll be anything I try.

When I removed my 6.0L, gigantic, Donaldson (OEM) air filter, after 25k, it was dirty on the intake side & absolutely spotless on the output side. I tore some media off it to see how it ticked. The silicon levels on my UOA have been 7 with 5,335 miles & 5 with 6,776 Miles. I'm sure you're well aware of the gobs of air that gets filtered through a diesel truck. Perhaps there's a reason & the logical thought off the top of my head would be to prevent restriction while filtering down the lowest it can go safely for an extended period of time to limit OEM Maintenance schedule. This is just my experience with Donaldson Filters.

When I removed my 6.0L, gigantic, Donaldson (OEM) air filter, after 25k, it was dirty on the intake side & absolutely spotless on the output side. I tore some media off it to see how it ticked. The silicon levels on my UOA have been 7 with 5,335 miles & 5 with 6,776 Miles. I'm sure you're well aware of the gobs of air that gets filtered through a diesel truck. Perhaps there's a reason & the logical thought off the top of my head would be to prevent restriction while filtering down the lowest it can go safely for an extended period of time to limit OEM Maintenance schedule. This is just my experience with Donaldson Filters.
The Donaldson AIR filters are the most efficient in the business (the PowerCore stuff).

Donaldson makes different types of lube filters, their cellulose offerings aren't going to be much different from any of the other majors and their synthetic (Synteq) media is going to be similar in performance to the Fleetguard Stratapore stuff.

(I searched the equivalent of FL1A, and FL400, and FL910; just put your known filter xref in the search box at the top)

P550008 ... 99% at 40um
P550400 ... 99% at 40um
P550335 ... 99% at 40um
all per SAE J1858

They may be made well, but honestly there are filters which do a much better job. Unless there's some offsetting positive reason to buy these, I don't think they'll be anything I try.
For the FL1A you want to be looking at the synthetic upgrade, which is the P169071.

The other filters, they don't offer upgraded versions, so you aren't going to find anything fantastic there.

P550008 ... 99% at 40um
P550400 ... 99% at 40um
P550335 ... 99% at 40um
all per SAE J1858

I came to that conclusion a while back myself. Donaldson just doesn’t appear to offer their better or best medias on all filter sizes. It’s unclear why; but until they start, or I own a vehicle that can run their Blue/Synteq filters, I will skip Donaldson and stick to the brands who sell 99%(+)@20 micron filters. 👍🏻

The Donaldson AIR filters are the most efficient in the business (the PowerCore stuff).

Donaldson makes different types of lube filters, their cellulose offerings aren't going to be much different from any of the other majors and their synthetic (Synteq) media is going to be similar in performance to the Fleetguard Stratapore stuff.
Woopsy! 🙃 I saw Donaldson & assumed it was AIR filters. I need to remember they have oil filters too.

P550008 ... 99% at 40um
P550400 ... 99% at 40um
P550335 ... 99% at 40um
all per SAE J1858

I don’t think their bread and butter is for the passenger car sized filters, although they offer cross-references similar to say Fleetguard. They’re more geared towards industrial and heavy duty applications, moderately priced and well built. The few I’ve cut open from my John Deere and Ram 6.7L I was impressed with the quality even with the plain cellulose media. While I myself would like to see more synteq Blue 15 micron @ 98.7% applications I doubt the Return on Investment for them makes sense in the passenger car/LT truck market.

I've been changing all the filters and fluids on my motorhome. This is my first experience with diesel engines. For the Cummins 8.3 ISC, I found the best efficiency rating (99% @ 15 micron) in the Donaldson Blue DBL7300. It looks like there is quite a difference between the Blue filters and their regular line.

Back