SM/SN RC/EC question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys so I been browsing the API site and this is not clear to me..

Why is SN now resource conserving rather than energy conserving?
I know that SN supposed to closely match GL-5 in cleaning and compatibility but GL-5 is also more energy efficient...

So does this mean that SN is automatically energy efficient so the only option is resource conserving? So no longer an SN can be rated energy conserving because it is presumed?

What exactly is resource conserving? I though it was compatibility but I could be wrong.

Explains please, thanks!

I understand it to be resource conserving by being energy conserving. Less energy required to move your engine's internals = improved fuel/resource efficiency.

So resource conserving on the back end (use) rather than the front end (production).

As for the reason for the change?energy conserving meant only that the oil could help save gas rc means way more.thats why they renamed it to avoid confusion

It's just a re-naming of the same oil category. Apparently because they thought Resource Conserving was less confusing than Energy Conserving. There's a slight difference in the fuel economy qualification test such that SN oils will retain their FE performance longer, but there's not much real technological difference, just vocabulary.

API SN + RC = ILSAC GF-5.

Next time check with Mom before you post on BITOG. All your basic questions will be answered.

API MOM guide (no old wives' tale) PDF link

Excerpt: "API SN with Resource Conserving matches ILSAC GF-5 by combining API SN performance with improved fuel economy, turbocharger protection, emission control system compatibility, and protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85."

MOM_cover.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back