Purolator Classic p14610 NEW - Ripped opened

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TriboGeek
All well and good. My main point is that proper pleating, which pretty much every other decent manufacturer achieves, would pretty much eliminate all risk of tearing (in normal usage) almost regardless of media strength.

Completely agree 100% ... see my post just above.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
That's pretty hard to do when there are large tears in the media.

In my opinion the tears in the media illustrated so far are minor, very minor.

I seriously doubt that more oil flowed through them then would normally flow through the fairly frequent occurrence of an imperfectly molded bypass seal.

My main point is that proper pleating, which pretty much every other decent manufacturer achieves, would pretty much eliminate all risk of tearing (in normal usage) almost regardless of media strength.

I am unaware of any test data or research that would support that hypothesis.

An evenly pleated filter media made of toilet paper will tear, and an unevenly pleated filter made made of woven fiberglass won't tear.

There are too many factors that are unknown to support your hypothesis. For all you know these "tears", which look more like cuts, were the result of something done during manufacture.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
That's pretty hard to do when there are large tears in the media.

In my opinion the tears in the media illustrated so far are minor, very minor.

I seriously doubt that more oil flowed through them then would normally flow through the fairly frequent occurrence of an imperfectly molded bypass seal.

That's all fine and dandy, you think that and everyone else will think what they think. You should know by now you can't change anybodies mind on what they see and what they do or don't like about big holes in an oil filter's media.

Not talking about toilet paper or fiberglass, but typical cellulose formulations.

With proper pleating, a small cut at the fold vertex wouldn't even lead to a tear. Yes, I actually know this. I also know that the exact locations of the observed failures are completely consistent with unmitigated bending and shear load, placed on the media by the improper pleating.

Last edited:
My main point is that proper pleating, which pretty much every other decent manufacturer achieves, would pretty much eliminate all risk of tearing (in normal usage) almost regardless of media strength.

I am unaware of any test data or research that would support that hypothesis.

An evenly pleated filter media made of toilet paper will tear, and an unevenly pleated filter made made of woven fiberglass won't tear.

There are too many factors that are unknown to support your hypothesis. For all you know these "tears", which look more like cuts, were the result of something done during manufacture.

I totally agree that the wide pleat spacing, along with a large V-spread at the base of the pleat, in conjunction with the easily torn media is the formula that adds up to these media tears. It's not something that happens during manufacturing because Purolator says they don't know what the cause is. If it was a manufacturing process issue, Purolator would have found that very easily by cutting open hundreds of brand new filters off the production line.

I'll bet 3 months from now if you buy a new Purolator that was susceptible to tearing (like the L14459) you will see a noticeable difference in the pleat spacing and V-spread at the base of the pleats next to the seam. Purolator knows the problem, they just aren't giving us the details. The pleat configuration fix is the "undisclosed improvements" they talked about in their recent letter, that's my opinion - take it or leave it, I don't really care. Time will tell.

Originally Posted By: tightwad
I recently opened up a Mann clone of the classic L14610. It was on my niece's Infiniti for exactly 5,000 miles. Sorry, no pics, but the pleat next to the seam that was the wider gap of the two was torn on both ends. No harsh treatment. Oil was Mobil Super 5w-30.

Hummm ... a new twist to the media tearing plot.

Well, not really...I probably shouldn't have said "clone". It's a Mann ML1008, identical to the Classic, made in N.C. If I had pictures, they would have looked just all the others that have been posted...

I totally agree that the wide pleat spacing, along with a large V-spread at the base of the pleat, in conjunction with the easily torn media is the formula that adds up to these media tears.

Of course you do.

I totally agree that the wide pleat spacing, along with a large V-spread at the base of the pleat, in conjunction with the easily torn media is the formula that adds up to these media tears.

Of course you do.

What's your theory besides big holes in media is perfectly normal. I you can even come up with one, I think we would all like to hear it.

In reality, all you do is around here is try to disagree with everyone in hopes that you can get into some kind of argument with them. I really think you are more of a troller and trouble maker than a true contributor on this chat board. I'm sure others here would agree.

In reality, all you do is around here is try to disagree with everyone in hopes that you can get into some kind of argument with them.

Thank you for your personal assessment.

Given the large chip on your shoulder, and apparent complete lack of any actual expertise in oil filters, I suppose getting into arguments is something with which you are intimately familiar. That and issuing threats.

In reality, all you do is around here is try to disagree with everyone in hopes that you can get into some kind of argument with them.

Thank you for your personal assessment.

Given the large chip on your shoulder, and apparent complete lack of any actual expertise in oil filters, I suppose getting into arguments is something with which you are intimately familiar. That and issuing threats.

Well, thanks back to you for your inaccurate assessment once again.
grin.gif

Actually, it's quite obvious that you are seen as the guy around here who is constantly disagreeing with everyone in hopes to get some kind of argumentative debate started - sense you get some kind of enjoyment out of it. You also throw out comments to me an many other members here that I would categorize as personal attacks, and have an over-all disrespectful attitude if somebody disagrees with you. And it's not just in the Tearolator discussion threads, but many of the threads you post on throughout the board.

The "chip on your shoulder" is way bigger than anyone's here. You tout that you know so much about oil filters and engineering, but it's obvious there are large holes in much of your logic. That's an accurate perception by many here, and it's easily seen in their responses to your postings. Sorry, but you are again in the 6 sigma minority. This is the perception you've created for yourself ... nobody to blame but you.

I could really care less what your "theories" are WD. I'll and everyone else will stick with theirs ... you stick with yours. All is good ... all hold hands now and let's chant some Kumbayah together.
happy2.gif

You have a real time ticker tape on all units sold over the last month? It might take some time for the sales figures for April to hit metrics graph.

BITOG has rather become the go to place for lubrication related advice. We can rest assured knowing new customers will not be choosing Purolator, if the interwebs have any say. But seriously, I don't care anymore. I'm all for seeing an American company succeed. I'm also all for not supporting [censored] companies in the face of reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back