Stash of Purolator, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wing0
What's the appropriate tool to use to cut these filters?

husqvarna-chainsaw-450-hero-lg.jpg

Originally Posted By: David1
They are real purolators... just sell them on ebay.
smile.gif

Or use them for a short OCI......

like 2000 miles with Supertech Oil.

Or 7k miles with SuperTech like I do....
tired.gif

I have an ecore on my side mount 2.2 now. It's already outlasted the classic before it. The ADBV failed and I had start up noise after 2 mos. The ecore has 5 mos. and still ok. Puros don't work for me, especially after the last P1 on my 5.3 had a torn pleat.

Originally Posted By: TriboGeek
First, there is a good chance you can visually ID the suspected problem on the new unused filters. I just did so myself this weekend with the 14459. Peering into the center tube gives a good chance of spotting the excessive pleat spacing (voids), through the perforations.

Second, I'd strongly recommend replacing the current 14459 immediately, with a Fram or whatever you like. Open it up and please report back. I'd wager, if the pleat configuration is of the suspected type, it will have already torn. If all your filters were bought at the same time, there is a chance your currently-installed unit may be OK, if the unused filter passes inspection.

I'll take a look at the new 14459 and see how uniform the pleats are.

As for the one that's already installed. I'll have to wait till the appointment to swap snowtires off before I can get that filter off.

What's the appropriate tool to use to cut these filters?
I don't want to make a huge mess in doing so, as somebody might get mad at me
whistle.gif

I didn't have a filter cutter. I started with a hacksaw but it was a pain in the NECK! I grabbed my 4 1/2 inch grinder with a cutting wheel and a face shield of course.

Put the filter in my vice and then got it open in less than 20 seconds just cutting underneath the baseplate. If you don't have a grinder then you can get something else like a hacksaw to go at it.

Regards, JC.

Use them.
Even if you get one with torn media, it's not a catastrophic problem like when the media goes through the engine on an E-Core failure. Heck, many Volkswagons ran for hundreds of thousands of miles on their engines and all they had for an oil filter was a screen.
There are too many people yelling that the sky is falling on this site.

Do a quick UOA on one of the cars.

It will come back fine with no elevated metals, wear, etc.

Then you can use the rest of your filter stash without concern.

Or you could just skip the UOA and not worry.

You could trade them all for Wix filters but they might become the next "terrible" filter on this forum.

Just for fun(well not really).
I took a video of the new L14459 that I have and inspected all the pleats through the center hole.

To my eyes, the only part that has more spacing is right under the 2nd "M" stamping. Around the 20 sec mark.

Is that consider excessive?

^^^ I don't think that's a sure way to get a feel for the pleat spacing, and certainly not the V-spread on the pleats near the seam.

Its not a sure way, but it can work. I had a 4/5 success rate this weekend myself. it only takes one pleat to have a void behind it, to cause trouble, near the seam or not. It can be surprisingly obvious.

I'll view this video shortly. My phone won't play it.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

What's the criterion? That would determine "excessive".

For starters, at least as big as the numerous failure examples we have to reference.

For starters, at least as big as the numerous failure examples we have to reference.

Defects. Failures involve a complete inability to perform the design function. These filters appear to still filter.

They fail to perform as advertised, the minute they tear. Gimme a break dude. Its hard to keep up on my cell phone.

Failure: omission of occurrence or performance; specifically: a failing to perform a duty or expected action.

Failing to filter at the advertised efficiency is a failure to perform.

A media failure that causes a defect, which causes a lack in performance. Whatever you want to call it, it's not something anyone wants to happen. It's really not hard to understand people do not want to use oil filters with big holes in the media.

Let's please stop feeding the troll.

They fail to perform as advertised, the minute they tear.

That's called a defect.

Failure means they don't work at all.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
They fail to perform as advertised, the minute they tear.

That's called a defect.

Failure means they don't work at all.

lol, ok

Just for fun(well not really).
I took a video of the new L14459 that I have and inspected all the pleats through the center hole.

To my eyes, the only part that has more spacing is right under the 2nd "M" stamping. Around the 20 sec mark.

Pretty good video. Yep, I think you see it, right around 20-25 seconds. Note, it is only in one portion of the filter, and nowhere else. That is likely the seam area. Of course, it is hard to see even in person, and harder to see in the video, but it does appear to have improper voiding. You can clearly see all the other pleats, tightly packed against each other - often 2 folds shown in a single perforation hole. That is basically what the media should ideally be like all the way to the seam. It will be up to you to estimate how deviated yours is. A small deviation may be fine, no way I can say where the exact limit is, except that the examples of failure we've seen are clearly a reasonable limit.

I guess your used filters are gone now... otherwise youd probably be inspecting them.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ I don't think that's a sure way to get a feel for the pleat spacing, and certainly not the V-spread on the pleats near the seam.

+1000 On this point I completely agree. There's no way using a down the center tube view to 'definitively' ascertain any pleat spacing flaw that may or may not be present, and that includes this yt. As the seam pleat can't be verifiably identified by this method, it is of insignificant value.

To say otherwise as in this thread is the difference between trolling with an agenda and having a rational thought regarding ascertaining any real flaw(s). Easy to identify which is which in reading this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back