Are italian exotics the right platform to demonstrate the superiority of thin oils?

It seems like a lot of the pro thin oil data and arguments comes from Italian exotics. At first I was thinking wow if it works in a x Ferrari, 0W20 must be really good, and appropriate for my econobox.

Then I started thinking more about it and think I might need thicker oil. A Ferrari likely has a 7 to 10 liter oil capacity, an oil cooler, and a short stroke motor. If the owner is just doing coffee runs, the engine oil may not even heat up to full temp and a fraction of the available power gets used.

Meanwhile a 2.5L 4 banger probably uses full horsepower to get up to highway speed. The long stroke also means the pistons speeds could be equally high if not higher.

Am I crazy or if 0W20 works so good in a Ferrari can it also work good in a Corolla?

it probably still can't. you get a high oil capacity even like the Honda Civic type r most people are going to drive them around on the streets or cruise the boulevards. the pasta rocket is hopefully going to spend most of its time on a course or a track where it's getting up to operating temperature. there are very few 0w20 I felt confident enough in to put in a Ferrari.

I'm seeing 5W-40 as a requirement in a majority of online sources for new Ferraris. Please share your source for the 0w-20 requirement, as I don't believe it's recommended.

You should read the musings of AEHaas.
Seems like he has, and that’s where some thoughts are coming from.

OP, I wouldn’t over think things and start comparing apples to oranges. I understand AE Haas has done some experimenting, much of which is quite interesting, but his parameters are his parameters.

Regarding the general theme of is 0w-20 good enough? Yes. Yes, it is.

I'm seeing 5W-40 as a requirement in a majority of online sources for new Ferraris. Please share your source for the 0w-20 requirement, as I don't believe it's recommended.
His source is AEHAAS

He has shown in his uoas that 20 grade is just fine in a supercar where you only ever use 2HP out of the 600 total horsepower to go get a Starbucks.

He will probably be along here shortly to recommend his 5 grade

Reactions: FCD
We can quantify this by engine load percentage during normal operation:

Guessing:
Corolla: 30% load in cruise, 50% load in city, 100% load to merge on highway
FXXK: 5% load in cruise, 10% load in city, and 30% load to merge on highway

Both weigh about the same, one has 132HP, the other 850HP.

Clearly, one is regularly producing more of it's rated power, the other is not. And despite the lead foot of exotic drivers, there "AIN'T" no way that 850HP engine spends more than a few seconds at high load on the street.

The benefits of thin for racers, is achieved by strict oil temp mgmt, keeping it cooler and more viscous.

Last edited:
Am I crazy or if 0W20 works so good in a Ferrari can it also work good in a Corolla?

My daughter has a 2010 Corolla, has over 300K miles on, using 20 grade oil. Still runs like a champ. Crazy right?

And I see what you did there you sly dog:
ThIcK vS tHin

And to answer your question in your title to your post- No

Last edited:
Italian exotics are the right platform to stare at. That's about it.

1687359754327.png

My daughter has a 2010 Corolla, has over 300K miles on, using 20 grade oil. Still runs like a champ. Crazy right?

And I see what you did there you sly dog:
ThIcK vS tHin

And to answer your question in your title to your post- No
Those are two very different cars my friend. I’m sure your daughter doesn’t take her Corolla to track nor does it push out north of 500 hp.

Those are two very different cars my friend. I’m sure your daughter doesn’t take her Corolla to track nor does it push out north of 500 hp.

I understand that. I was giving him an example of a 20 grade working “so good” in a Corolla like he asked.

Seeing as how the OP has been a member here for 9 years, I would think by now he would know that a 20 grade would be ok in a Corolla that has been specd a 20 grade for decades and numerous other manufacturers that have 20 grade as oe fill.

My personal opinion is it is a borderline thick/thin debate. We have a member here that has the funds to buy another Ferrari or Lamborghini if his little experiments don’t turn out so well. Most people, not all, that are on here aren’t the proud owners of Italian exotics. I highly doubt the op has or will be considering purchasing said Italian exotic so what’s the point? I don’t worry about what a Ferrari or Lamborghini uses for oil. Hmm, I wonder if I ever bought a Bugatti could I just use the 0w16 I run in my Prius in it as well and just have one grade on hand in my garage

"...demonstrate the superiority of thin oils"

Man, this topic (thin v thick) smells like an old, beer spilled on carpet from your local 1970s pub.

"...demonstrate the superiority of thin oils"

Man, this topic (thin v thick) smells like an old, beer spilled on carpet from your local 1970s pub.
Yep, two going today and one from yesterday that eventually got locked. It used to be new members (or at least supposedly new) that started them, now it’s people that have been around a while.

Italians love their pasta with just a thin amount of sauce.
My girlfriend is Italian, and most of the time they just use extra-virgin olive oil, parmesan and rosemary. Occasionally, she adds chopped up cherry tomatoes. She has 10 sisters so when I go there, I’m treated to a variety of different pasta dishes. 🍝

Back