Magnefine P/S or ATF filter at Napa

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently went to napa to buy a filter for a my power steering and it took the dumb arse behind the counter a 1/2 hr to find the right part #. I gave him a wix number and a old Big A number but he couldn't cross either of them. The filter he came up with was a magnefine which I didn't expect, but is genuine. Says magnefine right on it. Its just reboxed for napa.

The PN is 18514 for the 3/8ths size inlet/outlet. About $25 before my discount.
Here is the web site for those who haven't heard of Magnefine Its a must have for P/S IMO. I'm going to run a tp bypass on my trans because it has more material holding capacity.

I didn't see where the filter would be on the power steering on my vehicles. Is it just a tiny screen inside the hose end? If so, should be closer to a few bucks.

Oh yeah. Good thing I don't work at NAPA.
grin.gif

Paul, it looks like a inline fuel filter and it has a magnet in it to. They are very sturdy but $25 is pretty steep IMO. I think they have the corner on the market. I put the filter in the return line on the P/S. Just cut and hose clamp it in. You can buy extra rubber return line if you need it.

Ok. Thanks. Somehow I thought they came from the factory that way. Easy enough to install.

Wonder if the lower price inline fuel filters would work (drives away with confidence as line backs up, pops off, and car goes into skid on ps fluid slick
grin.gif
).

Or we could do the BITOG member overkill and install an oil bypass filtration setup for the power steering, with dual spin on filters, which also would triple the ps fluid capacity for better cooling.
grin.gif

quote:

Or we could do the BITOG member overkill and install an oil bypass filtration setup for the power steering, with dual spin on filters, which also would triple the ps fluid capacity for better cooling.
grin.gif

Don't think it hasn't crossed a few members minds. This obsession can easily get out of hand.
smile.gif

I had one on my tranny and just put one on my PS.

They are just a magnet and not really a filter.

[ December 18, 2004, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

The Magnafine has a filter element, a magnet and a bypass feature should it get clogged. Its not just a "fuel filter". Its also required on a lot of OEM reman trannys installed at the dealerships. I have one on every trans in each of my vehicles.

They have a magnet, internal filter and 30,000 mile life and a bypass feature. They have been tested and approved by Ford and Toyota and are sold thru dealer parts departments for much more money. I read somewhere that Ford dealers have been advised to install them on all replacement automatic transmissions. The Magnefine site (and they sell directly for more money) is www.emergingent.com I have them on all 3 cars transmission lines and the power steering of one so far. Magnefine states that for the power steering use it should last the life of the car.

Emerging Enterprises is a Site Sponsor. Please support them. Thanks

[ December 18, 2004, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

I went to NAPA to see if they could get a Magnefine filter, and they gave me a different part number from the one at the start of this thread. I didn't have a part number at the time, but had them look for an inline magnetic trans filter to fit a '95 Ford Taurus.

The parts guy eventually found the part in a book. I briefly saw the photo--it looked like a Magnefine, but the label seemed to include the word "technologies." The part number he gave for the 3/8" size was ATP 1-8087. The price is $20.59, but they didn't have any in stock.

I found a thread on another site (dieselplace.com maybe) that said ATP 1-8087 is a Filtran or SPX filter, while the original poster of this thread said NAPA 18514 is labeled Magnefine. (I haven't gone back yet with that specific part number.) I'd like to get an actual Magnefine. Can anyone verify whether Magnefine supplies all these filters, and that ATP, Filtran, etc. just apply their own labels?

Thanks

The price does seem stiff, but the product appears substantial and well-made. I have one on the ATF and on the PSF of the wife's '01 XJ Cherokee L6-242, and will be ordering more for the DODGE Ram I recently acquired.

I installed the ones on the JEEP in late '03 after an ARX flush of both systems; also added auxiliary coolers to both systems taking the time to painstakingly assemble hose assemblies that would allow easy access. This year (at about 30k on the filters) will drop lines for draining, replace filters, and again fill both systems with SCHAEFFERS 204-Supreme.

Doubt I'll replace the PSF unit again (60k or more if I do), just replace fluid annually.

The ATF is scheduled for a UOA on this AW-4 unit when the service is done in another month or so.

The filters seem a cheap enough way to assure long-term health, are easily acquired mail-order, and were easy to fit. I quickly received filters from EMERIGENT each time I ordered.

Bulkpart.com has a better price if you order enough to cover the shipping cost.

I've seen the Magnefine filter in an ATP box.

I use them on both transmissions and power steering. I've opened two and they've both had some steel powder on the magnet and non-magnetic particles on the pleated filter.

Ken

I bought a ATP JX-150 inline filter for my 5/16" tranny lines......Is a Magnefine filter.
I also bought a A1 Cardone Premium inline filter for my 3/8" power steering lines, Is also a Magnefine filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back