w126 1988 300sel Transmission Fluid Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to replace the transmission fluid on my 1988 w126 300sel. The transmission does have a short engaging delay when switching from (R)Reverse to (D)Drive. I'm wondering if the change in fluid will correct or at least make the engaging a bit quicker.

My buddy used a RED LINE fluid for his honda civic tranny that was slipping all over the place and believe it or not, the Redline tranny fluid made the slipping go away.

My transmission shifting on the road is excellent and like I mentioned before, there is only a delay in the tranny engaging from Reverse to Drive. Car has 74k documented miles and it seems too early to have ANY issues other than suspension rubber parts. Please advise on which type of tranny fluid is best to use on my car.

For your buddy was it just new ATF or Redline ATF that helped?

No ATF will fix something broken. But changing the ATF is always a good idea if it has over 30K miles on it. Redline is certainly an excellent ATF as is Amsoil. Many others are also good and cost less.

I am willing to pay the extra for Amsoil.

My buddy replaced the transmission fluid with Redline. Someone on this forum recommended on first replacing the fluid before replacing the automatic transmission. One of the fluids that was recommended was Redline.

+1 on pics. I'd personally put maxlife in there. Works great in my 82 w123 with 74k.

Going with Redline D4 and will report back after a tranny filter change and fluid change

Anyone know how many ATF quarts are needed to fill the tranny?

Originally Posted By: Gito
https://elcarro.shutterfly.com/pictures

Nice looking car! I love these cars. I really believe these generation Mercedes are some of the best cars ever made. Whats up with the other cars in those photos you posted? Are they yours as well?

Yes,my cars.

The yellow Mbenz is my 1979 300sd (w116)
The silver Mbenz is my 1970 280sel (w108)

Non Mbenz,
Honda Civic 91 Si, 478k original miles, original owner, same engine
Chevy Silverado 2002( the red truck that shows up next to my w126) 230k miles

nice! I had an 83 240D....my dad had an 82 300D.....my mom had an 80 300SD ....loved those cars....hated the vacuum system but great cars!

Originally Posted By: mcrn
nice! I had an 83 240D....my dad had an 82 300D.....my mom had an 80 300SD ....loved those cars....hated the vacuum system but great cars!

Thanks, I will take any of the above cars anytime. Wonderful diesel engines. People don't realize that these old classics are 30 plus years and seem to outlast other non Mbenz cars.

I'm actually looking for a really nice 300td wagon to replace my 1979 300sd and my 91 Honda Civic. You can't beat finding a turbo diesel wagon with a rear facing bench that can seat up to 7.

I would love to have a wagon. I am just worried about the rear suspension.....I think they were hydraulic and if not maintained properly can be costly and most I had came across when I was looking were not maintained.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Originally Posted By: Gito
https://elcarro.shutterfly.com/pictures

Nice looking car! I love these cars. I really believe these generation Mercedes are some of the best cars ever made. Whats up with the other cars in those photos you posted? Are they yours as well?

Indeed the W126 is a classic, or if not officially, it's a classic-in-the-making. I miss my 420SEL and would love to find a good condition 300SEL like yours.

The W108 chassis is a grand car too, as is the W116. I've never driven either, but would love to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back