rear view mirror adhesive: JB Weld?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never tired jb weld, i have used the autostore mirror kits. They work well as long as the glass is clean. This time of year, i think i would let the glass warm in the sun first if possible.

Last edited:
You can try the adhesive kits they sell at auto parts stores, but your best bet is to just take it to a glass shop and let them glue it on. It seems the adhesive they use works a lot better than the store DIY kits.

I wouldn't try JB Weld.

Come to think of it, your arm is going to get very tired holding that mirror in place waiting for JB Weld to set !! Buy the right stuff or like dishdude suggested, a windshield shop.

Permatex makes the adhesive for the OEs. We have got the Ford stuff in with a Ford sticked on a Permatex package in the past. If done right it works like a champ assuming the puck thing on the windscreen isn't done for.

I did it with JB weld, after getting tired of Permatex mirror adhesive failures. I scotchbrited the glass and the mirror mount to give the epoxy a rough surface to grip. I then used a big gob of JB Weld epoxy. Squeezing out around each side. I taped it into place, using my finger to carefully mush the epoxy back on to the mirror mount.

After it cured, I had to dremel away the epoxy to get the mirror to slide back on.

I may have let it cure for a week or so, before putting the mirror back on.

No failures after that. But, I did have a bit larger glue surface area to work with, due to the way I applied the epoxy.

General Electric 100% silicone rubber (clear). It bonds metal to glass extremely well.

Clean all surfaces with lacquer thinner first.

108605_K_L.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back