Auto dimming rear view mirror upgrade?

On the Kia it seems that this automatic dimming rear view mirror🪞 does not dim for blue LED lights of todays newer vehicles. It does work well for traditional lights, and even HIDs.

Are newer automatic dimming mirrors able to dim for blue LED headlights, and if so would it be possible to just swap out the factory auto dimming mirror with a newer one?.... Plug and play? Compass 🧭 would be pretty cool also.
Thanks! 🙂

IMG_3394.jpeg

Don't know about the Hyundai/Kia ones, but the ones in my newer VWs (2020, 2017) work just fine and dim with ANY type of light. Might try a newer mirror to see, or even a generic/knockoff one.

Is there a retrofit kit I can buy that is recommended? My car never had the dimming option.

Before you go change the mirror, I would try those dimming films. I do not have experience with them yet, but thats what I am going to try first on my new Camry.

What do you mean "blue"? In my experience the good LEDs are still very much on the white spectrum...the blue ones are the idiots that put cheap LED bulbs in their reflector housings. LEDs are brighter for sure, which means any mirror won't dim them as much as it can halogen.

well, I was going to order a Subaru outback with the red led compass display, but a used one is around $40 more than I’m willing to spend to replace a perfectly fine functioning mirror….

So I researched how to “upgrade“ or how to make auto dimming mirrors more sensitive….
I was ready to rip out the soldering gun thinking I would have to mod something on the motherboard, but the actual reality is as simple as placing a piece of tape over the front facing sensor, not covering it 100%, but enough to have the auto dimming function be more sensitive. Results:

Normal function (no light on rear facing sensor - Sensor that points back behind you)
IMG_3828.jpeg

But even turning on the interior dome LEDs result in this:
and its same concept. Once the rear racking sensor senses light behind you it won’t dim instantly or to full tint and the dimming function is still progressive but it’s much quicker to react

IMG_3830.jpeg

All by doing this:

IMG_3829.jpeg

AFAIK, the wiring is the tricky part. I was hoping somebody would make USB-powered, but I could not find any.

If you already have power going to the mirror for something else, like mine does for lights, I would think that would be easy enough to reuse for an autodimming mirror or a mirror with a built in dashcam.

Most auto dimming mirrors are made by two companies, Gentex and Donnelly. Yours looks like a Gentex.

Since you already have the wiring for it, you can get a generic auto dimming mirror and wire that up :unsure:

Is there a retrofit kit I can buy that is recommended? My car never had the dimming option.

Often, there is. What kind of car do you have? Search for that car + auto dimming mirror, and some options should appear. Even if not, you can get a generic auto dim mirror and wire that up. There are probably instructions somewhere on Youtube or a forum for your car.

Back