Tires at Walmart - a rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's almost gotten to the point where it's easier if you just take the tires/wheels off the vehicle yourself and carry them into the tire place....that way you don't have to deal with all this liability garbage...they don't need to know what vehicle they're going on...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john_pifer

I got them back though. When it was almost to the 3-yr free replacement, I went back and had them swap it for a new one.

No wonder the price of batteries is so high at WalMart now. Abuse of their warranty program, just like this. WalMart used to be a good place to get an affordable battery, not anymore.

It is unbelievable as to how far some people will go to "get even", when they think that they've been wronged.

Next time, just take your business somewhere else, and don't do your part to run up the prices for everyone else.

Then I had to haul the battery all the way to the front of the store (past all the People of Walmart) to get it swapped out.

Must have been a traumatic experience to have mingled with the plebeians.

What you experienced is SOP for many tire retailers. You're not the first person who has experienced this and vented their frustrations on the internet and you won't be the last.

It is best to call ahead to verify that your size is in stock, especially for a low volume 14 inch size. Also, if you want a non-standard size installed, it is best to ask if they will do it BEFORE before making the trip to the retailer.

When buying snows for my Dakota (215/75R15), I DID call...and despite assurances they had them in stock, not one but TWO places did not! One tried to sell me the wrong size (225/75R15), the other just sort of mumbled "we can get them Monday".

I went to Town Fair Tire...they beat the prices (with better tires!), they had them in stock, and they did it that day. Mental note: next time, just hit Town Fair.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

I got them back though. When it was almost to the 3-yr free replacement, I went back and had them swap it for a new one.

No wonder the price of batteries is so high at WalMart now. Abuse of their warranty program, just like this. WalMart used to be a good place to get an affordable battery, not anymore.

I'm confident WM tested it with their fancy tester and it failed. They aren't in the business of giving stuff away for nothing.

It is unbelievable as to how far some people will go to "get even", when they think that they've been wronged.

Next time, just take your business somewhere else, and don't do your part to run up the prices for everyone else.

Actually I didn't give the full story here - the batt was almost to the end of the 3-yr free replacement, so, while I was at an auto parts store, I had them load test it. It failed. BTW, most batt. retailers have cut back on the prorated warranties - the pro-rata warranty used to be several years from most retailers. Now it's like 2. I used to work for Autozone, and the rumor in the industry is that most will go away from a prorated warranty altogether, and instead offer a straight 1, 2 or 3-year free replacement.

Originally Posted By: Nayov

Then I had to haul the battery all the way to the front of the store (past all the People of Walmart) to get it swapped out.

Must have been a traumatic experience to have mingled with the plebeians.

It always is
smile.gif

Sheesh, some humorless folks around here. Anybody ever heard of a joke?

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I'm confident WM tested it with their fancy tester and it failed. They aren't in the business of giving stuff away for nothing.

Actually, the particular Wal-Mart I went to does not have an automotive center, and I went in fairly late at night anyway. Took the battery to customer service, told the girl it was bad, and she said i could go get my new battery. No test, no hassle, no questions asked.

Purchased tires and installed at Sam's Club w/ a Wal Mart next door. The WM let a mechanical "buggie getter" get away. It flipped over the curb and hit on TOP of the driver's front fender - beat it all to pieces. It was dark when I picked up the truck and was lucky to see the damage. Neither Sam's or WM mentioned the damage probably hoping that I wouldn't notice.

WM did pay for the damage after I made a stink. Douglasville, Georgia in 2012 if anyone is interested. This was after Sam's mounted the wrong tires and I drove home before noticing the difference. Act of Congress to get that worked out.

Never again would I buy tires from either place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back