General Altimax RT43 T-rated

I have the RT43s 215/55-16 on my Saab and they are excellent tires. I have a set of RT43s in 205/55-16 on my old Volvo. Tire rack has the newer General RT45 H or T rated in that size for $123.

Do you like these tires? I have Altimax RT43 on my car and I can't stand them. No traction in any condition LOL.
I have experience with them on two cars.

I think the rain traction is solid. After a couple of years of runtime, they do skid in the wet when taking off from a stop if I'm overzealous with the gas but no hydroplaning or skidding at speed. Performance in light snow / slush is adequate as well. They aren't snow tires but do fine for people like me that wait until the roads have been plowed. They also hold air really well. I barely have to adjust the pressures when the seasons change. General must use a good compound because I haven't noticed increased noise or a rougher ride as the tires age.

Only con is their propensity to tramline on grooved roads. Seems to be a common complaint with these.

Last edited:
I have 2 sets of the RT43s, summer tires on the xB & Corolla in my sig-they’ve both been solid, and I’m going to leave them on the Corolla for winter, at least initially, to see how they do in sow/ice conditions. If we ever get any…

You missed the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales :sneaky:

Better off getting the all-weather 365AW

Walmart has the all-weather 365AW for $127. Installation is $18, so $145. A set of four would be $580 installed.

There is a Milestar all-weather for $81

The RT45 prices:
T-rated for $107
H-rated for $103 (actually cheaper than the T)
V-rated for $124

For something cheaper, Douglas is only $68 and quite good for the price, too.

The absolute cheapest tire Walmart has in that size is the Arroyo Grand Sport for only $48

Is that good or bad?
It's bad.

205/55-16 isn't an expensive size, and the RT43 has been replaced by the RT45.

Been using the RT43 since introduced . Use H rated because of stiffer sidewall for handling . Do well for all year round . Replace them at 4/32s' thanks to winter weather . Tread depth starts a 10/32s' . They've had very little impact on gas mileage . Wish they didn't replace them w/ the 45s' . :(

Been using the RT43 since introduced . Use H rated because of stiffer sidewall for handling . Do well for all year round . Replace them at 4/32s' thanks to winter weather . Tread depth starts a 10/32s' . They've had very little impact on gas mileage . Wish they didn't replace them w/ the 45s' . :(

What's wrong with the RT45 that it's worse than the RT43? :unsure:

For year-round winter weather, consider the 365AW.

Back