Painfully slow computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

I never have Malwarebytes running all the time. I only use it for updates and scans.

Same here
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The remaining single biggest CPU users are Norton 360 of up to 15% and Malwarebytes up to 12%.

one thing you havent posted caterham which is vital to helping you is the amount of (Memory)RAM in your computer

Its been a long time since I used xp but its should be accessable from right clicking on computer hit properties and on the general tab it should list memory (IIRC)

also I'd consider a new computer before putting a penny in this one. XP has basically no support going forward and huge security holes.

might try running Linux mint on it as you could do away with the antivirus.

Last edited:
My TOSHIBA laptop has a 32- Bit CPU with 1013 MB RAM.

I've deleted the Malwarebytes.

The Norton 360 I bought expires in April. I won't renew but will try something else at that time. I understand Microsoft XP support ends in April as well so a decision will have to be made whether to change OS at that time?

I have used Chrome in the past but had a problem with it.
I've downloaded Mozilla Firefox 26.0 and am using it.
I haven't removed Explorer 8 yet. Is it necessary if I'm not using it? Just wondering.

Thanks all for the help and elementary computer education.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Is Internet Explorer still hogging massive amounts of processor time?

Isn't that IE's standard operating procedure?
wink.gif

With respect to registry cleaners, the only time I've ever used them is if there has still been some phantom reference to no longer used file types, or back in the days of .dll "heck."

CATERHAM, I'd go Linux if I were you, but I'm biased. If you want to see how well it works, use a live CD and try it out, while monitoring oil pressure and oil temperature gauges to see if you maintain the minimum pressure spec. Oh, wait, that's another topic.

The Norton 360 I bought expires in April. I won't renew but will try something else at that time. I understand Microsoft XP support ends in April as well so a decision will have to be made whether to change OS at that time?

I haven't removed Explorer 8 yet. Is it necessary if I'm not using it? Just wondering.

No, please leave IE 8 intact and just use Firefox.

Did you add the adblock plus extension to it?

Just go into Explorer and disable many of the applications there. Do not uninstall Explorer or delete the Applications inside Explorer.

In your Tools toolbar , click on Add-ons. Then click on Get Add-ons. Inside there is Adblock Plus. You may have to type it in the search box for easier access to downloading it.

I agree with the posters suggesting Linux OS's. If you decide to squeeze the last remaining bits of life from your OLD laptops/pcs, this is the way to go.
My circa 2001 pentium 4 512mb laptop has regained some of its pep when I replaced XP with Wary Puppy (Puppy Linux-based). Great again for web-surfing, not so much for you-tubing, because of the old hardware. A circa 2005 desktop, I replaced XP with Linux Mint XFCE....great as well, default browser in Firefox, does well with regular surfing and video-watching.

I was given an older computer to fool around with. It was running Win Vista and was painfully slow. I spoke with a good friend about Linux and decided to take the plunge. A faster better working computer would be an understatement, this thing rocks! I'm totally impressed! I will swing my XP machine over to Linux before MSFT stops supporting XP.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Make sure and add the easy privacy and malware domains lists to adblock so you'll get tracking and malware protection.

https://adblockplus.org/en/subscriptions

Just don't go nuts with lists. There are a lot of extra lists for things like malware, privacy, web annoyances, etc. More lists = slower browsing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back