Painfully slow computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spybot Search and Destroy.

Malwarebytes.

CCleaner.

All free, and all will remove the (likely) several hundred background programs running on your computer.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
It's a 2006 Toshiba Satellite A100 model running XP.

Very similar to my E1505 Dell from '06. With 2GB and a SSD (miniscule investment compared to what you've spent getting the OS re-installed for $90), that would be a great, fast machine for web browsing.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Spybot Search and Destroy.

Malwarebytes.

CCleaner.

All free, and all will remove the (likely) several hundred background programs running on your computer.

I believe I've run Spybot and Malwarebytes in the past but I'll run Spybot again and see if that improves things.

Look at the list of installed programs

Delete anything that says "toolbar"

Google Toolbar, MSN Toolbar, Yahoo Toolbar, etc.
These overlays are major CPU boat anchors...

how much ram does it have?

if it has the stock 512MB that could be the problem

also the laptop t2300 coreDUO (not core2duo) is very anemic

you could just go buy a newer laptop for
also you could try running linux mint on it.

My laptop has once again slowed to the point that even typing this is delayed.
At this point, happens every 6 to 9 months, I just take it to a local computer shop to be wiped clean and start over. Costs me about $90 bucks every time.

Is there another very simple option that a computer dunze like me can try to restore the speed of my laptop or do you all agree I should just take it in?

Thanks.

+1 run Ccleaner.

Check your startup (via Ccleaner) and uncheck software that is not needed in the start up menu. Remove Norton from your PC and get AVIRA free edition. Also download defraggler to defrag that hard drive. Remove any other junk software that you are not using.

Regards, JC.

Before doing anything (running any kind of program) I suggest using a program that will backup all of your important files etc. Too many times my lack of backing up my computer has been my only regret with certain programs. It will come in handy. Once that is done find out which programs you no longer use and remove them. (Only remove them if you know what they are). Seond you can run programs mentioned above, malwarebytes or multitude of others. Than you can run a defrag program..(in windows xp it has option to defrag). If running all those programs doesnt work, than id suggest re-installing the OS. (Back up all important comes in handy with this one). Its time consuming though so it depends how much your time is worth, thats why alot of people just pay someone to do it.

Start with Hitman Pro as suggested on the previous page.

It sounds like you have something going on with Internet Explorer, probably a rogue plug-in. I would suggest switching to Chrome and using the Adblock Plus extension.

Also, as somebody else said, go to Add/Remove programs and remove ANYTHING that says Toolbar in the name. Those things cause a myriad of problems.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Is there another very simple option that a computer dunze like me can try to restore the speed of my laptop or do you all agree I should just take it in?

Buy a mac.

My 6 year old MBP runs super fast and flawlessly, to do anything. The only place where I encounter delays is in loading VERY high resolution camera files (36MP) by the hundreds off a slow USB interface.

what's a virus?

Originally Posted By: dernp
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Buy a mac.

My 6 year old MBP runs super fast and flawlessly, to do anything. The only place where I encounter delays is in loading VERY high resolution camera files (36MP) by the hundreds off a slow USB interface.

what's a virus?

I can say the say thing here with Linux. Not only is the OS free (well, a donation is nice), but you're utilizing the same computer as well (saving $$$ if you don't need the power of a new CPU or GPU).

BWS1xaZ.png

Using IE is XP can be a major security hole. For that OS a browser like Chrome is much more secure.

Given that XP is being cut off from support & updates very soon, it would be wise to either get a new machine or install a new OS that will work on your hardware platform. Linux would be a good option if you don't want to buy a new machine. I really like Fedora, CentOS or OpenSUSE. The KDE user interface would be somewhat intuitive given your XP background.

Trust me, look for an overlay in Internet Explorer. (See previous post)

If you have 512 megs memory, look in the laptop back, and see how many slots are easy to get at. Replace with 2 gig chips, $26 is not going to break the bank....

Second slot may be a pain, buried under the keyboard, not worth taking laptop apart to get to...

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

I can say the say thing here with Linux. Not only is the OS free (well, a donation is nice), but you're utilizing the same computer as well (saving $$$ if you don't need the power of a new CPU or GPU).

Interesting, I hadn't heard of Elementary OS. Looks like a pretty nice offering. I'll need to download a copy for a live USB key. I've grown pretty dissatisfied with Ubuntu's more recent releases because the GUI is getting way too cluttered and lacks a cohesive feel.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Interesting, I hadn't heard of Elementary OS. Looks like a pretty nice offering. I'll need to download a copy for a live USB key. I've grown pretty dissatisfied with Ubuntu's more recent releases because the GUI is getting way too cluttered and lacks a cohesive feel.

Elementary, like a lot of Linux-based OS's, is Ubuntu with a different interface and some in-house utilities added onto it.

I have Ubuntu installed for about a dozen friends, family and neighbours as well as 4 systems here in my home and there are zero complaints. Ubuntu-based OS's like Mint and Elementary are terrific, too.

1 - Delete Cookies & Temp Internet files
2 - Remove any Tool Bar programs via Add/Remove in the Control Panel
3 - Run SpyBot S&D ( download if needed )
4 - Run TweakNow Registry Cleaner... ( download if needed )
  • clean your main drive ( C: most likely - don't do the OS partition )
  • defrag Registry
  • use Startup Manager and disable any programs not needed

5 - Run a virus scan of your hard drive
6 - Run Defragler disk defrag ( download if needed )

This is what I would do, in the order I would do it, and are the programs I use. This should make a difference. Also, stop paying someone $90 to reload the OS. Do it yourself. It isn't hard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
1 - Delete Cookies & Temp Internet files
2 - Remove any Tool Bar programs via Add/Remove in the Control Panel
3 - Run SpyBot S&D ( download if needed )
4 - Run TweakNow Registry Cleaner... ( download if needed )
  • clean your main drive ( C: most likely - don't do the OS partition )
  • defrag Registry
  • use Startup Manager and disable any programs not needed

5 - Run a virus scan of your hard drive
6 - Run Defragler disk defrag ( download if needed )

This is what I would do, in the order I would do it, and are the programs I use. This should make a difference. Also, stop paying someone $90 to reload the OS. Do it yourself. It isn't hard.

Registry cleaners have the potential to cause more harm than good. I don't advise anybody to "clean" their registry. It does nothing for the performance of the computer and could potentially extremely screw things up.

Gentlemen, I downloaded Malwarebytes last night and started a full scan and it is still running.
Don't know when it will be done.

Can you check something for me:

Right-click "My Computer" (assuming it is on your desktop) and go to Properties. Go to the hardware tab, then open Device Manager. From there, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, right-click Primary IDE Channel and go to Properties. Under the Advanced Settings tab, please let me know the following:

Device 0:
Transfer Mode
Current Transfer Mode

Device 1:
Transfer Mode
Current Transfer Mode

Please provide me with the same information for the Secondary IDE channel as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back