When is a car considered "old" or to have "high...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering what other's opinions were on when a car is considered "old", and when a car is considered to have "high mileage". I have a 2006 Accord that is in good shape, and I enjoy driving it. Im hoping it will remain in good shape as long as I have it. It has 118,100+ miles on it now, hoping it will last me 200,000+ miles if necessary.

This is she...

CAM00162_zpsa9b1da5a.jpg

CAM00163_zpsc3b48e45.jpg

CAM00164_zps0a29d0c2.jpg

Last edited:
That's very subjective. To me, 10 years or 200K miles would be considered old, but there is old and then there is old. Sometimes you'll come across a car that's old, but is in better shape than many of the newer cars out there, so who cares.

If it's running and you enjoy driving it, that's all that matters.

My 530i is now 12 years old...

DSC_0900.jpg

"old" as in too old to be a middle class person's main ride? (Car about 10 yrs old or 150K miles) or,

"old" as in I can't find parts half the time,(AMC Eagle, Mitsubishi Starion) or

"old" as in anachronistic? (I'd say this would be, say, any car without seat belts. a 2 cycle Saab, an MGTD).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
That's very subjective. To me, 10 years or 200K miles would be considered old, but there is old and then there is old. Sometimes you'll come across a car that's old, but is in better shape than many of the newer cars out there, so who cares.

DSC_0900.jpg

Nice looking ride, yeah thats how I feel. I would feel better if I owned it free and clear though! =P

If it starts up and can successfully (and safely) transport you to your destination, then it is not too old.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
If there has been a significant change to the bodystyle, it's old.

So if you buy a brand new car, and the very next year a new body style comes out, your car is suddenly old?
confused.gif

DSC_0900.jpg

Is that the original paint job? It looks good.

IMO so many ways to answer this: for me, a car is "old" when the upkeep becomes too much of a burden or outweighs the value of the vehicle. Personally, I love the idea of a well running, clean car that is more than 10 years old. Maybe it's a pride thing... No, it's definitely a pride thing .

On the other hand, I know people who feel a car is old when, as stated by the previous poster, the model changes.

Mileage is a different animal... I'm in the market for car now and am looking at mileage with a completely different perspective as the car is for my son. In this regard, anything over 60k is not going to be considered.

My '05 Accord, however, has about 161k and I have every reason to believe I'll reach 250k+ ... I would not consider this Accord to be HM

[censored], Greg.... That's a tough question to answer

My 95 BMW 525i is old. it has 233,000 miles. Even so I will do the repairs/maintainance to keep it running.
smile.gif

Last edited:
The average age of the American car is 11 or 12 years. but as far as "old" goes, who cares? We typically buy a new truck for towing every few years, but even then I'm thinking of going older next time.

My wife's Maxx has 120K, has a bunch of new stuff and is in great shape. We're going to keep on drivin' her. Plus, we park anywhere we want instead of east bumble and have no problem "pahking" in the garage when we go to Boston.

Your Accord looks to be in awesome shape. I wouldn't even worry about it.

DSC_0900.jpg

I agree that old and high mileage can be interpreted in different ways and are relative.
For instance in the 60's 100000 miles was pretty much the end of the road and the engine was ready for rebuild,if they made it that far.
In the 80s 200000 miles was considered high mileage and the high tension rings will have widened the bore enough that oil was being burned via the rings.
The 90s brought up low tension piston rings. Common sense tells me that these lower tension rings should cause oil burning quicker however that hasn't been the case in practice.
Now that the rings aren't eating away at the bores compression is maintained for much longer so if a car is still running well an owner will usually spend some money on it as far as suspension and so on rather than just junk the car when a big bill is coming.
I'm my mind anything older than the 90s is old,and 200k miles is high miles depending on model year.
Now I'm not saying that today's engines are worn out at 200k miles,in fact I'd even go as far as to say a properly maintained modern engine is only halfway through its usable,reliable lifespan at that mileage.

So old and high miles are relative to the vehicle being referred to,in my mind anyway

Plus I know the OP does 3k oil changes on full synthetic so I'm sure it's in good shape. Color makes it seem a few yrs older than it really is.

This question is like asking oneself how old they feel. In eyes of many my 06 Mazda 3 and 03 Focus are beaters, but I certainly don't care as they have plenty of life left and are reliable and as cheap to run as cars can get.
People can enjoy their new, flashy rides while I laugh all the way to the bank.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
10 years, 150K miles.

i would say thats about right. Generally speaking.

At that point some parts begin to be more difficult to get and upkeep gets to be more of an issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back