Best Oil for my Jaguar XJS straight 6 in Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Amsoil 0W-30 would be good and if you like Red Line, their 0W-30 would be the best choice and definitely not their obsolete 10W-30 oil.

Been re-reading the posts here

Caterham, what about REDLINE 5w30? is that also obsolete?

Its down to Mobil 1 HM 5w30 or Redline 5w30 year round. Not brave enough for the 0w just yet.

Remember my location..also I understand that when using Redline its important to warm up the car..true?

Thanks for all the answers

I Texas the 10W-30 is fine, in the southern states it's still probably the most popular oil... 0W-30 when cold is still 15-20x thicker than when hot, as often said there no such thing as too thin of oil when cold...

If it is often run hard to redline, I'd use the M1 0W-40...

Wow! So many other fellow Jag lovers here! My first car was a 90 XJ6 and just sold my 2001 XJR
frown.gif
It's ok, my next car will be the new XJ if things go according to plan, love the new design.

I too am concerned if that engine is advanced enough to run a synthetic 5W-30. From my past experiences and familiarity with the old 6's, a xW-40 is your best bet year round. Mobil 1 0W-40 is a hard one to beat in this situation. Superior cold start capabilities, readily available and arguably the best 40W oil on the market.

Originally Posted By: spikepaga
Amsoil 0W-30 would be good and if you like Red Line, their 0W-30 would be the best choice and definitely not their obsolete 10W-30 oil.

Been re-reading the posts here

Caterham, what about REDLINE 5w30? is that also obsolete?

Its down to Mobil 1 HM 5w30 or Redline 5w30 year round. Not brave enough for the 0w just yet.
Remember my location..also I understand that when using Redline its important to warm up the car..true?
Thanks for all the answers

Regarding RL, their 5W-30 is what renders their 10W-30 obsolete.
I don't want to get too technical but neither contain any VIIs but have the same HTHSVs of 3.8cP and their 5W-30 has a much higher 162 VI. Because of it's high 3.8cP HTHSV it is really a 40wt oil. Keep in mind that RL often suggests dropping an oil grade when switching to their motor oils and that's why I recommended RL 0W-30 for your Jag.

I do not recommend the use of M1 5W-30 unless you actually need it's seal swell properties.

I can see you still haven't absorbed the fact that 0W oils have nothing to do with an oil's hot operating viscosity. Porsche for example spec's M1 0W-40 for all their cars including back to models made in the early 80's and my '86 928.

I can see you still haven't absorbed the fact that 0W oils have nothing to do with an oil's hot operating viscosity

Caterham, thanks for all the information. We are so lucky nowadays to have access to so much information our fathers and grandfathers did not have when working on their cars.

You are right. I have not totally psychologically absorbed the fact that a 0w will be good on the 95 straight 6. The 5W makes me "feel" better...but I am trying to get there.

Let me ask you one more thing here...say I start the vehicle in question on any given day where the temperature ranges from 30f to 102f, with the RL 0w30 on the engine, and I proceed to drive it normally right after start up...is that engine still as protected as it was with the 5w30 or 10w30?

Thanks so much Caterham and all who reply.

To you're engine, even 102F is a "cold" start.
Your engine will be better "protected" because while the 0W-30 is still way thicker than optimum, at least it's closer to that optimum viscosity than M1 HM 5W-30 and RL 5W-30 will be.

RL 0W-30 has a 183 viscosity index, higher than any 5W-30 oil on the market. Compared to what you're running now you should notice an improvement in engine responsiveness when cold on start-up and during the warming up period due to the significant reduction oil drag while sacrificing zero high temperature protection.
Trust me, once you try it you'll never go back to a low VI oil again.

Caterham, thanks again. I have been speaking to some guys who run the RL 0w30 on the Jaguars with the same engine as mine, with great results. I even called Redline and they said that although they recommend a 10w30 for my car, 0w30 would have no adverse effect in my climate. The guy there did recommend 5w30 as a "compromise" between the two, but I think I am ready to change over to 0w30 next oil change due at the end of this month.

The only concern I had was that moving away from what I thought was a "seal friendly" Mobil 1 HM...I have been doing a lot more research on these forums archives and elsewhere and it is my understanding that a synthetic with a higher ester formula like Redline will be even kinder on the seals than the PAO Mobil 1 HM...it is my understanding that MObil 1 has more ester to help with seal shrinkage and that Redline or Motul has PAO to counteract it.

My conclusion is that the Redline should be as kind, if not kinder to the seals in my engine than Mobil 1 HM.

Is this accurate?

I have an XJR6 with the supercharged AJ16S engine. I run 5W-40 and 0W-40 oils in it since:
a) Jaguar excluded xW-30 oils from the AJ16S engine, but allowed them for the normally aspirated AJ16 engine
b) I prefer an HTHS >3.5 on highly loaded (high torque and thus bearing load) engines

I think a decent xW-30 oil should work, but if it were my XJS with an AJ16 engine, I would go with the xW-40 oils.
Christian

Last edited:
What I am stil trying to find out is what happens when a leak free car running on Mobil 1 goes over to Redline...I do know from the archives that some people have experienced leaks when going from a thick "dino" to Redline, but I have been running Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30 for about two years..

I know no one can predict the future, but how likely is it that a car running on M1 10w10HM will leak with Redline 0w30.

Am i correct in thinking the ester Redline oil will help with leaks.

Thanks, sorry for so many questions

Originally Posted By: Christian_89LSC_96XJR
I have an XJR6 with the supercharged AJ16S engine. I run 5W-40 and 0W-40 oils in it since:
a) Jaguar excluded xW-30 oils from the AJ16S engine, but allowed them for the normally aspirated AJ16 engine
b) I prefer an HTHS >3.5 on highly loaded (high torque and thus bearing load) engines

I think a decent xW-30 oil should work, but if it were my XJS with an AJ16 engine, I would go with the xW-40 oils.
Christian

Hello Christian!
Thanks for the reply
For the Supercharged engine it is true that a xw40 is prefered and xw30 excluded, but I have a normally aspirated engine , and according to Jaguar xw30 is fine .

spikepaga, considering your XJS doesn't leak I really think your over thinking your concern with engine seals because it's simply not an issue.

If you don't mind the higher cost of RL's 0W-30 go for it and enjoy; it's a great lube.

Thanks Caterham!!,

I absolutely do not mind the higher cost of RL.. at all.

Just want to make sure this decision I am making to go over to RL 0W30 is well informed and not something I will regret later if things that are expensive to fix start to drip, that is why I am being so precise in trying to find out the effects of the possible effects of the RL0W30 on my engine that has been running M1 HM 10W30.

I am thinking about buying a 1990 Jaguar XJS with a V12(30K miles) and was curious what oil would be good to use.

Was thinking about using Mobil 1 HM 10W40 or the 10W30HM version. Always was worried about Jag oil leaks. LOL...

spikegaga,

Trust Caterham's insistence that a zee dub is ok. While neither are a Jag, I have run GC In a twin turbo Audi A6 and a 3.5 Infiniti at over 100 degrees ambient for hours at highway speeds and in the mountains...no problem in either. I have come to totally trust the zee dubs and what they do for your engine at startup. Please remember the 0W is not of consequence at operating temps. If an oil is a 0W-30 or 40 it is solidly a 30 or 40 wt at operating temps. Forget the 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back