Best Synthetc ATF for 94 Honda Civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I am wondering what everyone's opinion is on the "best" synthetic ATF to use for my 1994 Honda Civic a/t. When I first bought the car I fell for the "only use genuine Honda atfz1" b/s, but hated it because it seemed "too thin" and "slippery", which made the trans shift soft, and smooth and slip (which would be great for an older person, or girl, but not for me). So, I started using Mobil 1 synthetic atf (it used to say it worked in Honda/Acura transmission where atfz1 is required) and preferred the way the transmission acted so much more than Honda aftz1 (trans didnt slip as much, shifts felt firmer and more positive). Now, the Mobil 1 syn atf no longer says anything about being suitable in Honda a/t's where atfz1 is used, so I am kind of weary on using it now. So, which synthetic atf would you guys suggest?

I want good, quality, synthetic ATF that is "suitable" for use in Honda/Acura transmission where atfz1 is "required".
I do not want to use genine Honda atf. Or any non synthetic.
I want something that wont "slip" as much as Honda atf.
I want something that will cause the transmission to shift harder/firmer and more positive than Honda atf.

What do you guys suggest?
Amsoil? Which one exactly?
Redline? Which one?
Royal Purple?
Continue using Mobil 1 (even though they took "suitable for use in Honda/atfz1" off the bottle?
Some other good, quality, synthetic atf that will work good?

I would only use DW-1, it is synthetic. If you really are against Honda ATF, Valvoline import multi vehicle full synthetic.

Unless they changed the Mobil 1 formulation, stick it with since you liked it. I'm just not sure you're going to be able to find that out and I would imagine they dropped the "suitable for Z1" spec off their label and PDS for a reason.

Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC has the proverbial "thumbs-up" from many Honda owners. I'm using it in our Saturn's 5-speed Honda AT and prefer the crisp shifts over the buttery-smooth but sloppy shifts Z1 produced.

You do NOT need Z1 in your 94 Civic. Honda specified Dexron II back then. (Z1 didn't come out until 2000. Older automatics used Dexron--it even says Dexron on your dipstick!)

That said, I like Mag 1 Synthetic ATF. The regular synthetic ATF meets Dexron and Z1 standards, and there is also a low-viscosity version that is good for Z1 as well as Honda's newer DW1 spec (DW1 is backwards-compatible to all Honda automatics). Amazon has it at a good price, and even Pep Boys sells it at a fair price.

Maxlife is also a good choice.

Of course, nothing is wrong with the M1 ATF you're already using, especially since you seem to be happy with it. And like I mentioned earlier, dropping the Z1 from the bottle is a moot point anyway since a) you don't need Z1, and b) M1 has been working fine for you for awhile now.

How long have you been using M1 (in miles)? What interval do you change the ATF? Do you drain and fill only once every time, or do you do the 3x drain and fill "flush"?

ATF-Z1 is no longer made, it was replaced by DW-1.

I always use Honda Genuine however I hear people say they get great results with MaxLife and MaxLife is a FULL SYN

However my car has 178000 miles on orginal tranny and I always have used Honda Genuine.

BUT, I have heard some great stuff about REDLINE!

REDLINE ATF4

The most versatile ATF, use where Dexron III®, Dexron II®, Mercon® and Mercon V® fluids are recommended, provides a GL-4 level of gear protection
Popular applications: Toyota Type T-III and T-IV, Honda ATF Z1, NissanMatic D, J & K, Diamond SP-II, SP-III, Mazda ATF M-V, most BMW, Audi, VW automatic transmissions
Also used with manual transmissions and transaxles like T-5, T-45, T-56 and late-model BMW
Excellent cold weather operation

Also CASTROL TRANSMAX IMPORT MULTI-VEHICLE AUTOMATIC Transmission Fluid.
I hear some people that say this stuff works awesome.
IMAG0509.jpg

However if your Trans has High Mileage and say it leaks you might want to look into

Transmax High Mileage

CASTROL TRANSMAX HIGH MILEAGE IS FOR USE IN MOST TRANSMISSIONS WITH OVER 75,000 MILES.

IMG_20120515_114133.jpg

Specially formulated for maximum transmission life in high mileage vehicles
Additional seal conditioners help stop leaks
Extra cleaning agents reduce varnish and deposit formation
Protects against clutch wear and restores smooth shifting
Newer cars will also benefit from Castrol Transmax High Mileage
Can be used in many vehicles including those that require:

Ford MERCON® V (and prior)
Chrysler ATF+3® (and prior)
GM 2005 models and prior (not for use where DEXRON®-VI is required)
Honda - ATF-Z1
Hyundai
Nissan - Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K
Toyota - Type T, T-III, T-IV

If you are against getting Honda Genuine I would get the REDLINE.... If you cant get that or its to much $ I think any of the others would be fine.

If you have a leak you might want to look into the castold or the MAXLIFE...

However I think any of them would be fine...

but I would get the DW-1 If I were you.

Why do you NOT want to get Honda DW1 ???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
I would only use DW-1, it is synthetic. If you really are against Honda ATF, Valvoline import multi vehicle full synthetic.

No Honda D1-1 made in the USA is no synthetic,

not even a syn blend.

Only way you get it to be a synthetic is if you get it from Canada....

I cant figure it out.. Perhaps they want better flow in that Bitter cold weather.

Its still a debate, however I called Honda myself.

They tech and sales agent told me if it was indeed a synthetic and being that synthetics are so popular then they would indeed put it on the bottle.

Think about it.

Last edited:
Mobil1
Valvoline Maxlife
Valvoline Multi Import Synthetic
Mag1
Amsoil
Redline D4

All of the above are synthetic and should be fine in your application (Castrol is not synthetic, but is a very good conventional ATF). I use Maxlife in mine because of price, availability, and a general distrust of Honda-branded fluids after previous AT failures.

If you like the M1 and want something "even better," I'd recommend stepping up in price to the Amsoil or Redline. Both are excellent fluids.

I suspect Mobil removed the "suitable for Z-1" tag from the label in order to avoid liability for certain fragile AT units from Honda/Acura in the late 90s and early 00s.

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
Mobil1
Valvoline Maxlife
Valvoline Multi Import Synthetic
Mag1
Amsoil
Redline D4

All of the above are synthetic and should be fine in your application (Castrol is not synthetic, but is a very good conventional ATF). I use Maxlife in mine because of price, availability, and a general distrust of Honda-branded fluids after previous AT failures.

If you like the M1 and want something "even better," I'd recommend stepping up in price to the Amsoil or Redline. Both are excellent fluids.

I suspect Mobil removed the "suitable for Z-1" tag from the label in order to avoid liability for certain fragile AT units from Honda/Acura in the late 90s and early 00s.

Yea I was wondering why Mobil 1 did that, b/c I used to remember it saying HONDA / ACURA AT-Z1 on the bottle.

See here is from a online place that sells Mobil 1 ATF read the specs

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is formulated for use in most North American, European and Asian vehicles.

Approved for Allison C-4 applications

Exceeds JASO 1-A performance standard

Also suitable for use in vehicles that specify the following fluid requirements: o Audi G 052 025-A2, G 052 162-A1
o BMW LA2634
o Esso LT 71141
o ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B, N402
o Ford* MERCON*, MERCON V, MERCON LV
o All 2005 and earlier GM vehicles**
o Honda ATF-Z1*
o Hyundai SP-II, SP-III
o Idemitsu K17
o JWS 3309
o Kia SP-II, SP-III
o MAN 339F, V1, V2, Z1, Z2, Z3
o Mazda ATF-III, ATF-MV
o Mercedes-Benz 236.1, 236.2, 236.5, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9
o Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II, SP-III
o Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K
o Subaru ATF
o Toyota T-III, T-IV
o Voith 55.6335.XX (G607, G1363)
o Volvo 97340
o ZF TE-ML 03D, 04D, 09, 14A, 14B, 16L, 17C

But on there website they have removed that and more... Read the specs from the Mobil site now.

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF meets or exceeds the requirements of:

JASO 1-A
Ford MERCON® V

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is of the following quality level:

Allison C4
GM DEXRON® IIIH
GM DEXRON® IIIG
GM DEXRON® IIE
GM DEXRON® IID
GM DEXRON® II
GM DEXRON®
Ford MERCON®
Voith H55.6335.3X
MAN 339 V1
Volvo 97340
Volvo 97341

Looks like the list got much smaller * SHRUGS *

I didnt feel like multi quoting all the posts, so Ill just try to answer some of the questions asked.

I dont want Honda z1 or dw1 because it made the trans slip, and shift really smooth/soft. I prefer less slip and harder/firmer shifts.

I have always read/heard that every Honda was "supposed" to run z1, not any dex/merc etc. I guess I will dig deeper in to this.

Wow, David. That's a huge cut in compatibility. A formulation change, perhaps?

Royal Purple is another synthetic that indicates compatibility with Z-1, but I haven't heard or read much about its use in Honda transmissions.

Originally Posted By: 94exa2
I didnt feel like multi quoting all the posts, so Ill just try to answer some of the questions asked.

I dont want Honda z1 or dw1 because it made the trans slip, and shift really smooth/soft. I prefer less slip and harder/firmer shifts.

I have always read/heard that every Honda was "supposed" to run z1, not any dex/merc etc. I guess I will dig deeper in to this.

I've been running Amsoil SS multi-vehicle ATF for about 30,000 miles now on my Accord. Shifts are firm but not harsh.

Just remember that what you prefer could POSSIBLY shorten the lifetime of the transmission or other related components. Most folks forget this aspect when choosing an aftermarket fluid.

If you insist on going aftermarket the best fit is the
Castrol TRANSMAX Import Multi Vehicle ATF which is specifically formulated with Honda in mind. Says it right on the bottle. Approved for Z1 and DW1.

Castrol TRANSMAX Import Multivehicle ATF

Castrol makes very high quality transmission fluids and is an OE supplier for major manufacturers.

That being said, OE Honda DW-1 is a very high quality fluid that was specifically designed with Honda specific design in mind, remember that Honda automatic units are unique compared to other automatics, with a design more like a manual trans.

Interestingly a Caltex pds on Dexron VI indicates that it is compatible with Honda Z-1 and DW-1.

Here is the the pds
Caltex Synthetic Dexron VI ATF

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
You do NOT need Z1 in your 94 Civic. Honda specified Dexron II back then. (Z1 didn't come out until 2000. Older automatics used Dexron--it even says Dexron on your dipstick!)

That said, I like Mag 1 Synthetic ATF. The regular synthetic ATF meets Dexron and Z1 standards, and there is also a low-viscosity version that is good for Z1 as well as Honda's newer DW1 spec (DW1 is backwards-compatible to all Honda automatics). Amazon has it at a good price, and even Pep Boys sells it at a fair price.

Of course, nothing is wrong with the M1 ATF you're already using, especially since you seem to be happy with it. And like I mentioned earlier, dropping the Z1 from the bottle is a moot point anyway since a) you don't need Z1, and b) M1 has been working fine for you for awhile now.

How long have you been using M1 (in miles)? What interval do you change the ATF? Do you drain and fill only once every time, or do you do the 3x drain and fill "flush"?

Wow, thank you man! I have always heard and read that all Honda automatics "need" genuine honda atfz1, and I fell for it. But, I cleaned off my dipstick and you are right! It says "Honda - ATF - Dexron". No wonder I hated the way my trans felt with z1, its the wrong fluid, and wayyy to thin causing shifts that are too soft, and caused slipping. I ended up using 2 bottles of Mobil 1 synthetic atf, and 1 bottle of Castrol Transmax high mileage (2.9 quarts for drain and fill - 3 d&f's should replace 90% of atf). Next atf change I will do the same (2 Mobil 1 syn, and 1 Castrol transmax high mileage), and the third and final drain and fill will use 3 Mobil 1 synthetic, and only Mobil 1 synthetic atf after that.

Thank you again!

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Just remember that what you prefer could POSSIBLY shorten the lifetime of the transmission or other related components. Most folks forget this aspect when choosing an aftermarket fluid.

If you insist on going aftermarket the best fit is the
Castrol TRANSMAX Import Multi Vehicle ATF which is specifically formulated with Honda in mind. Says it right on the bottle. Approved for Z1 and DW1.

Castrol TRANSMAX Import Multivehicle ATF

Castrol makes very high quality transmission fluids and is an OE supplier for major manufacturers.

That being said, OE Honda DW-1 is a very high quality fluid that was specifically designed with Honda specific design in mind, remember that Honda automatic units are unique compared to other automatics, with a design more like a manual trans.

Interestingly a Caltex pds on Dexron VI indicates that it is compatible with Honda Z-1 and DW-1.

Here is the the pds
Caltex Synthetic Dexron VI ATF

I have always read and heard that "soft", "smooth" and "slippery" shifts are bad for the transmission, since it is slipping, causing the clutch plates to wear faster and building up heat faster, though "better" for say an 80 year old woman and the a/t mounts. Where as "harder" or "firmer" shifts are better for the transmission since there is less slipping, less clutch pack wear and less heat, though not so "good" for a grandma, and not so good for the transmission mounts, it supposedly is better for the transmission itself and feels soooo much better for me compared to the [censored] soft slipping shift atfz1 gave me.

My car and a/t have over 300,000 miles (yes 300k. has new engine, but same old transmission) and feels 1000x better with synthetic dex than it did with genuine Honda atfz1. I always see most people say their honda auto [censored] out well before 200k miles using z1, and mine is still going past 300k (bought car with around 180k and have used NON honda z1 since then). So, in my opinion, synthetic dex feels much better than honda z1, and seems to make the a/t last longer, so, like I said before, screw honda atfz1, I will never use it again, and will use nothing but synthetic dex from now on.

Last edited:

Tell you what, since it has HIGH Miles, just get the VALVOLINE MUTTI VEHICLE ATF that says for HONDA / ACURE

Or get the VALVOLINE MAX LIFE ATF.

How does that suit you????

If you really want to feel that thing hit gears hard, then get the Wal-Mart SUPER TECH that shows for HONDA.... I have had people tell me they can feel it shift gears with super tech and some say that its less stress on the clutch plates....

I see your point.

DSC00088.jpg

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

Wow, thank you man! I have always heard and read that all Honda automatics "need" genuine honda atfz1, and I fell for it. But, I cleaned off my dipstick and you are right! It says "Honda - ATF - Dexron". No wonder I hated the way my trans felt with z1, its the wrong fluid, and wayyy to thin causing shifts that are too soft, and caused slipping. I ended up using 2 bottles of Mobil 1 synthetic atf, and 1 bottle of Castrol Transmax high mileage (2.9 quarts for drain and fill - 3 d&f's should replace 90% of atf). Next atf change I will do the same (2 Mobil 1 syn, and 1 Castrol transmax high mileage), and the third and final drain and fill will use 3 Mobil 1 synthetic, and only Mobil 1 synthetic atf after that.

Thank you again!

If you think AT-Z1 is thin you should see ATF-DW1 , that stuff is thinner.

Looks like someone took ATF-Z1 and put paint thinner in it ,lol

Thin is in! But seriously I would only use Honda Z1 or DW1 in Hondas, after all, they have a unique design and Honda has formulated the ATF for there transmissions. Why would you want to use a "multi vehicle" atf when you could get the real deal? The only Honda approved ATF is Honda Genuine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back