Restore Engine additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning lovers of oil and all things greasy.
Heading to Advanced Auto today to pick up a couple cans of "Restore" to add to my oil addicted Case tractor. After reading several sites, I've discovered the "miracle additive" in Restore is copper, silver and lead. I'm wondering, before I add this "ring job in a can," should I remove the oil filter? The filter on this old Case D lives in it's own little can and while I've never done it, I'm pretty sure I can run the motor without it.

I also read on several sites of individuals removing the spark plugs from the motor and putting few oz in the cylinders and letting it sit for anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Has anyone heard of this before or even done it themselves?

Looking for opinions, advice and guidance. Thanks.

The few beaters I added it to over the years I did it with a filter. We did however use a less expensive and less efficient filter. The product worked as advertised, however it must be used at every oil change, and was used only in what I considered terminal cases.

The removing spark plugs and adding it to the cylinder trick is news to me. I'd be interested in those results if you do it.

Quote:
The removing spark plugs and adding it to the cylinder trick is news to me.

Anything metallic in the cylinder or oil will burn to an ash deposit on the valves and spark plugs but probably won't matter much for a set of worn rings.

I tried this in my lawn mower and I did not feel any difference. May be it became even worse, because later I changed the oil and did NOT add it back.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
The removing spark plugs and adding it to the cylinder trick is news to me.

Anything metallic in the cylinder or oil will burn to an ash deposit on the valves and spark plugs but probably won't matter much for a set of worn rings.

That's what I thought. I used the stuff as directed, and it did slow oil burning and smoking in an old tired engine. That's about all its good for, and depending on how bad the engine is or if rings are broken it might not work at all. OTOH if the cylinders are slightly scored it can fill the imperfections and help.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Restore is copper, silver and lead. I'm wondering, before I add this "ring job in a can," should I remove the oil filter?

No need to. The size of the metallic (CSL) particals in Restore are designed small enough to pass through filter media, but are the correct size to lodge in cylinder wall abraisions. Its an effective, albeit temporary product.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Restore is copper, silver and lead. I'm wondering, before I add this "ring job in a can," should I remove the oil filter?

No need to. The size of the metallic (CSL) particals in Restore are designed small enough to pass through filter media, but are the correct size to lodge in cylinder wall abraisions. Its an effective, albeit temporary product.

I take it you didn't see the filter posted the other day that was completely clogged and gummed up using restore. I suggest a look.
It seems the company has it figured out. They clog the filter so it goes into bypass then no problems with the stuff getting to where it needs to be.

I'd try mos2 first to see if it can help. Lubro-moly makes an additive called cera-tec. It lays a layer of ceramic down,and works great.
I'd go ceratec first,then mos2,then that restore garbage if it still needs something.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I take it you didn't see the filter posted the other day that was completely clogged and gummed up using restore. I suggest a look.
It seems the company has it figured out. They clog the filter so it goes into bypass then no problems with the stuff getting to where it needs to be.

No I did not. However, do you really think the filter you speak of was 100% full of just Restore??? Filters can clog up, and the vast majority of those that do clog have not used Restore at all.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Yes I tried the stuff more than 20 years ago in an old car and it did improve compression but also clogged the oil filter.
The thing is the improved compression doesn't last for more than a few thousand miles.

I had a friend who tried it on an Old Crown Vic... told me great stories...

Next time he changed the oil I gave him 10w-30 instead of 5w-30... he thought that actually worked Better than the additive.

It's all subjective.

Maybe ye-olde tractor should just get some heavier oil instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back