PTFE oil additive for gokart engine

Hi all

Im looking to add PTFE or a super slicker additive into a 5hp LO206 4 stroke engine. We change the oil after about 12 laps of racing. I am looking for somethng to add some HP. Is PTFE a good additive? any thing recommended? AMSOIL 4T is what i would ad it to. I have other oils that are pao based with a 9 visconsity @100c TRACTAC Chili oil additive i saw also.

PTFE won't help your engine make more power. Any additive with sufficient Teflon will end up producing little rocks of teflon in the sump. As it is forced from a powder back into a solid form.

I am not aware of any dyno results that show a real and verifiable HP gain by using Teflon in oil.

I don't know if you can change fuels, but there are some gains to be had there.

Amsoil is a good product but it is too thick. I did speak with the chemist about having oil made at Amsoil, but it needs to be purchased and a 50 gallon drum all these advertisements drag racing, dirtbike racing and such is not Amsoil that you can purchase off the shelf
Are used oil made by FHS and Inc., but I could really only adjust the viscosity
I’m looking to add some kind of super slicker additive The oil will only be used for 5 to 10 minutes max and then changed out.

With the five horse Briggs flathead we use air compressor oil because it is so thin. It makes a big difference on the Dino after a few races. We change the piston and rings.

Amsoil is a good product but it is too thick. I did speak with the chemist about having oil made at Amsoil, but it needs to be purchased and a 50 gallon drum all these advertisements drag racing, dirtbike racing and such is not Amsoil that you can purchase off the shelf
Are used oil made by FHS and Inc., but I could really only adjust the viscosity
I’m looking to add some kind of super slicker additive The oil will only be used for 5 to 10 minutes max and then changed out.

With the five horse Briggs flathead we use air compressor oil because it is so thin. It makes a big difference on the Dino after a few races. We change the piston and rings.
Not sure why you don't just use a good racing 5W-20?

Viscosity is 9. Made for racing.

Hi all

Im looking to add PTFE or a super slicker additive into a 5hp LO206 4 stroke engine. We change the oil after about 12 laps of racing. I am looking for somethng to add some HP. Is PTFE a good additive? any thing recommended? AMSOIL 4T is what i would ad it to. I have other oils that are pao based with a 9 visconsity @100c TRACTAC Chili oil additive i saw also.
DuPont made it very clear years ago that their PTFE product did not belong in engines.

personally, i would not use a teflon additive or any in a properly balanced oil,,Amsoil is a very good oil as stated above,,if you really want to get something new look at Torco sideXside 0w-40 its very interesting thought

Most boutique oils like Amsoil tend to prioritize wear protection over friction reduction (which are not the same thing). Lower viscosity oils tend to reduce friction, until they get too thin, at which point friction increases.

Calcium based detergents and anti-wear additives like ZDDP usually increase friction (and Amsoil tends to put a lot of these in their oil), whereas friction modifiers like moly reduce friction. Oils that prioritize fuel efficiency will usually result in less friction and more power.

Most boutique oils like Amsoil tend to prioritize wear protection over friction reduction (which are not the same thing). Lower viscosity oils tend to reduce friction, until they get too thin, at which point friction increases.

Calcium based detergents and anti-wear additives like ZDDP usually increase friction (and Amsoil tends to put a lot of these in their oil), whereas friction modifiers like moly reduce friction. Oils that prioritize fuel efficiency will usually result in less friction and more power.
We are talking about Amsoil racing oil.

The idea that a super thin oil will increase HP is sometimes in error. As the ring sealing can be much worse. There are situations where more viscosity equals more power. Air cooled engines are often in this group.
Some people tend to forget that the laws of physics don’t care about “great ideas”. You can temporarily cheat for short periods of time, but either power or component life will pay the price in the long run, and sometimes result in very early (and usually expensive) failures.

Some people tend to forget that the laws of physics don’t care about “great ideas”. You can temporarily cheat for short periods of time, but either power or component life will pay the price in the long run, and sometimes result in very early (and usually expensive) failures.
If it's a racing engine they're gonna rebuild it soon anyway, wear isn't a big issue.

Back