Cummins B 3.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The engine runs in our Doosan fork lift and it is the non-T version. We bought it brand new 4 years ago and there are 230 hours on the engine. The spec plate states to change the oil every 100 hours. Cummins spec sheet states to change the oil every 250 hours or 6 months.

So...as You can see we use it very rarely. 6 month are too low, 250 hours are too high for OCI. The factory fill was already changed at 100+ hours which I would say is the right term for changing the oil.

My problem is that last winter this little beauty started very badly and sucked down the battery. The truck is in the industrial district of the city so there were about -32°C in the morning and I could not manage to unload a semi. It was quite disappointing that the only important startup in about two weeks went wrong. Battery was/is strong enough. It was deffo the oil which was too thick.
On the other hand in the summer there could be almost 40°C ambient and at that temperature countinously using low viscosity (let's say artic) oil is not recommended by Mr. C.

In this matter I'm asking for Your advice. What kind of oil should I use in the upcoming term to find the golden path?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Not sure what is available there in Hungary, but I would use an HDEO in a 5W40 or even an 0W30 in the correct diesel specs.
0w is way too thin don't You think so? A thicker 5w40 would be a good choice IMHO.

Cummins has an agency but I know they are overpriced and checking UOAs....the PB is not that magical.

Shell has Rimula here not Rotella, Delvac (XHP Ultra) is available but both are 5w30.
I still do have some ELF SXR 5w40 which is for light duty vehicles so I don't think it will meet the requirments.

The -32 C. is what made me say 0W30, to get a diesel to start that cold, not plugged in, is going to need to be thin at startup. Guessing your 4B is the mechanically injected version, hopefully with the intake grid heater? In my experience the B series isn't that hard on engine oil, and a decent diesel rated oil will work.

The -32 C. is what made me say 0W30, to get a diesel to start that cold, not plugged in, is going to need to be thin at startup. Guessing your 4B is the mechanically injected version, hopefully with the intake grid heater? In my experience the B series isn't that hard on engine oil, and a decent diesel rated oil will work.
Of course I saw Your point about the 0w. I was trying to refer that the oil film strenght won't be enogh at operating temp. Yes mechanical pump...and yes with intake heater. It took a while to understand why it was glowing without plugs.
blush.gif

Please read the title carefully. The engine is NOT the 4B, it is the 3.3L engine which is completely different.

I would use a good synthetic 5W40 for your problem, like Delvac 1 or Delvac 1 SHC, whichever is easier to source. The SHC version has a pour point of -54C !

Charlie

Last edited:
I would consider a battery heater and 5/40. 3.3, 4B, N14, whatever. If you're convinced the oil is too thick at -32, you should go with lower pour point. If that isn't enough, the battery (and maybe the engine itself) could use some preheat.

How about a little(and I mean little) squirt of starting fluid? If you don't see those low temps all winter long and you have a hard time starting it only when it gets that low, a little starting fluid would help to get the flame lit.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie

Please read the title carefully. The engine is NOT the 4B, it is the 3.3L engine which is completely different.

I would use a good synthetic 5W40 for your problem, like Delvac 1 or Delvac 1 SHC, whichever is easier to source. The SHC version has a pour point of -54C !

Charlie
Sorry, when I saw it had "Cummins B" in the title, I assumed it was a B engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back