First bike 1979 Suzuki GS750

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi its been a while since I visit here, recently got into motorcycle, and just bought my first None running 1979 Suzuki GS750, the price so cheap that I cant pass it up, and its look stock and complete with all original part. After a bit clean up, she look really nice.

I will let the shop look at it and replace what ever it need so she can run again.

Can any one can tell me a bit about this bike ?

As you all know, maintaince is why we all here, what oil should I use ? its say sae 10w40 on the cap.

spark plug and wire ??

I dont know what else for maintaince. any advice
eek.gif

do these bike using gear oil or manual ??

When I was riding Japanese bikes back in the early 80s I would run whatever 10w40 was available. Never did by motorcycle oil. Still don't run motorcycle oil in my Harley. I run vr1 20w50 or mobil 1 15w50 in it. I would run any 10w40 you want . My 750 Honda went over 100k miles, I had about 80k on my 900 Honda when I got rid of it. Both going strong. Just don't waste money on motorcycle specific oil.

I had a 1978 GS1000 for years; great bike.
Rotella T6 5w-40 is a great synthetic and often $16.99/gallon or less (in Texas 10w or 15w-40 would be fine but no harm in 5w). No gear oil.
You have a wet clutch so most current automotive oil is not good (too slick) with a wet clutch. No need to pay rip-off prices for "Motorcycle" oil. Look up "JASO" certification- auto oil that is certified is OK. Old API SJ is OK too. Check the motorcycle forum here for more. Any good wires that fit your coil should be OK. Probably points and condenser ignition unless a previous owner upgraded. I did in the '80's for $100.
No current bike but if I ever find a 1973-4 Norton Commando 850 for a reasonable price...
Happy riding.

Last edited:
Rotella 15w40 for the oil. It's better than anything they had then, and will do fine. It's a shared sump, no gear oil, the engine oil does all the work. Good luck on getting it running. If it wasn't stored correctly ( many times even if it was) the rings will be frozen in the piston grooves, and the carbs will be plugged with varnish. There is liable to be rust in the gas tank. All rubber parts are suspect, tires and things like carb boots as well. And those old Zooks had the alternator inside the cases, submerged in the hot oil.They went out very frequently, without warning. Old bikes make great projects if you have time and patience, or a boat load of dollars. Sometimes they require all three. All that being said, some of my biggest smiles came on a Suzuki GS550L cruiser back in the early 80's. But after 3 alternators in three years, it was time to move on.

Last edited:
u mean those dino 15w40 rotella ? they are very cheap price oil i think ( im not mean cheap as oil, i mean cheap as price )

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
u mean those dino 15w40 rotella ? they are very cheap price oil i think ( im not mean cheap as oil, i mean cheap as price )

Yes, use Shell Rotella 15w40 and you will have no oil issues.

The best place for any Suzuki GS is The GS Resources forum.

I had a 1982 GS 550, great bike! I typically used Havoline 10w40 and a Fram CH6000 on it with zero issues. But change it COLD. If it was like mine, the cartridge filter is accessed right through #2 & #3 exhaust headers.

Shell Rotella 15w40 is an excellent and budget-friendly choice for the shared sump. Don't put in any 'energy conserving' oil as the clutch will slip badly!

Rotella oil in the motor, better then what it needs. Probably gonna need tires, battery, carb and possible tank cleaning, brakes might be sticky and need a cleaning, cables might be rusty. At this point you may want to add all those items up, and figure if it's worth spending the money on. The other choice is to find an already running bike. Good luck.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Rotella oil in the motor, better then what it needs. Probably gonna need tires, battery, carb and possible tank cleaning, brakes might be sticky and need a cleaning, cables might be rusty. At this point you may want to add all those items up, and figure if it's worth spending the money on. The other choice is to find an already running bike. Good luck.,,

where is my manner, post thread without pix
laugh.gif
, ignore my dirty garage I was half [censored] washing the bike, and have to roll it back out side few time cause I found some dirt spot after roll it inside garage.

97210110200786793926390.jpg

I got this bike really dirt cheap, actually this bike found me
smile.gif
. I know what to expect when it come to these antique bike , old part will need replace . My budget for now for this bike is $1000 ( that only couple day working
grin.gif
) , take it to reputator shop and let them get it running like the way it should be, and paint it back to black original color...

Last edited:
Good old UJM! A bit 'truckish' by today's standards, but fully capable of spirited riding.

I'd use whatever dino 15w-40 is on sale every 1000 miles or so.

May benefit from a front spring upgrade. 'Progressive' are better than stock, but straight rate-springs generally handle better.

Looks like the airbox is missing. Hopefully the carbs are properly tuned for running w/o the filter. If it doesn't run well, you may be better off finding an OEM airbox and reversing whatever needle and jet changes were made. Individual air filters sound like a good idea, but sometimes create insurmountable mixture issues.

They were good bikes other than the electrics as mentioned. It can cost $300-$500 every 15,000 miles to keep one of them charging, and that was 30yrs ago. Hopefully parts still available or someone come up with a better system that lasts more than 15,000 miles each go around. I'd assume the charging system is not working and work that into your budget to start with.

The stators and rectifiers [censored] out on em, but they make aftermarket ones. Look up the GS forum as mentioned. I had a 1980 550. 79 should stil be points ignition if I recall, atleast it was on the 550's so if that is the case you will need to check the points somewhat often. Other than the charging system, the bikes were pretty bulletproof.

this might be embarrassing, but I never ride a motorcycle before. I just today sign up for motorcycle 3 day weekend class, my instructor require me to have, helmet, boot and glove, what is good place to buy these thing ?

Had both GS750 and 850 shaftie. Always loved that 750, one reliable bike.

Sure hope you don't get my 70 year old MIL for your instructor! She's tough.

Helmets, boots and gloves are all at the local motorcycle dealer, but much cheaper online. Might want to shop local and then buy later...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Had both GS750 and 850 shaftie. Always loved that 750, one reliable bike.

Sure hope you don't get my 70 year old MIL for your instructor! She's tough.

Helmets, boots and gloves are all at the local motorcycle dealer, but much cheaper online. Might want to shop local and then buy later...

lol .

What about oil filter, these engine have oil filter ?

btw about legal question . This bike have really short VIN, its not 17 digit vin like we have now, and I dont beleive all preview owner ever get title. I ask my local state tag place and they run the VIN, and its clean VIN, not report stolen or abandon .... she say I can register and get the tag, but if I want the title, I had to have 2 !!! bill of sale ? how do you get 2 bill or sale ?

You can get pretty good deals online at Leatherup and jafrum. And yes they have an oil filter, on my GS 550 is was in the front of the motor. It is a cartridge oil filter so you have to take the cover off to access it. Look exhaust side of the engine and you will see it. You can get a filter for it at any major parts store.

Last edited:
this might be embarrassing, but I never ride a motorcycle before. I just today sign up for motorcycle 3 day weekend class, my instructor require me to have, helmet, boot and glove, what is good place to buy these thing ?
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
I wouldn't spend a great deal of money until I knew I was going to like riding. A long sleeve shirt is usually required for class, you should see if you can borrow a helmet for the class. Gloves are about 20 bucks, and you may even have some boots that cover the ankle. After you get to riding, then get the best gear you can afford, and always dress for the spill, not the thrill. Welders wear protective gear, football players don't go on the field without it. You are rather exposed on a bike, prepare for the worst. Good for you for scheduling a safety course...That's a GREAT start.

Nothing to be embarrassed about. no one is born with riding experience we all had to learn. Good call on the class. I learned by hopping on, not the best way. I'm lucky i did not go down. Why not benefit from others experience in a class?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back