Difference between Honda HRX2174HZA & HRX217K4HZA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what the difference between Honda HRX2174HZA and HRX217K4HZA is?

I am wondering if one is a Home Depot specific model and if so how it differs from the other.

I'm just guessing the K is is for sale to California.
I've seen the K letter in another manufacturer.
In practice it may be a different fuel cap or a muffler with a interior catalyzing coating.

I've read and heard that some name brand HD,Lowes,Walmart for sale items are not the same quality as buying from a dealer.

They are the same. Honda says that some computer systems have 10 digit space limitations for model numbers, whereas webpages are unlimited. The "K" version is technically the full model number. By the way, Home Depot does not carry name brand (Honda, Toro, John Deere, etc.) items that are made specifically for HD. They are the same as you would get direct from the factory. The HD "house" brand is either Husky, HDX, or Workforce.

Originally Posted By: bigdawg74
They are the same. Honda says that some computer systems have 10 digit space limitations for model numbers, whereas webpages are unlimited. The "K" version is technically the full model number. By the way, Home Depot does not carry name brand (Honda, Toro, John Deere, etc.) items that are made specifically for HD. They are the same as you would get direct from the factory. The HD "house" brand is either Husky, HDX, or Workforce.

HD and Walmart have price points that manufacturers agree to .Therefore,the quality of these items may be a bit less.
For example,HD's Delta,Moen,Kohler etc product lines.
Might be different with the mowers but if the cost of the Honda mower is much cheaper than the Honda mower dealer...

Originally Posted By: Colt

HD and Walmart have price points that manufacturers agree to .Therefore,the quality of these items may be a bit less.
Might be different with the mowers but if the cost of the Honda mower is much cheaper than the Honda mower dealer...

Well, maybe it has something to do with the volume that HD buys/sells products at vs the volume a dealer buys/sells at. I checked online for local pricing here and the prices were the same between Home Depot and Honda dealers. I suppose if you want to pay more at a dealer shop for the identical product, you could, but to each their own, I guess. Can't comment on the faucet items...that could be different.

Originally Posted By: Colt

Well, maybe it has something to do with the volume that HD buys/sells products at vs the volume a dealer buys/sells at. I checked online for local pricing here and the prices were the same between Home Depot and Honda dealers. I suppose if you want to pay more at a dealer shop for the identical product, you could, but to each their own, I guess. Can't comment on the faucet items...that could be different.

If the Honda costs were the same or say $100 cheaper,then it's the same.
smile.gif

All of the ones at HD did not have the "K" in the model number either on the box or the product certification label. Although they list a mix of "K" and "no K" models on the website.

All of the engines were certified to 2012 standards. (on display models at least).

The Home depot is $50.00 under MSRP on this particular model, but $100.00 under MSRP on the HYA which is the same mower without the electric start. They did not have the 217HZA or HYA on display, even though the HZA is allegedly in stock at my store (could not find it in a box anywhere either).

The HZA and HYA have the hydrostatic transmission and roto-stop system, all other HRX and HRR models have the "SmartDrive" transmission.

Frankly I wish I could get the 190 engine, ball bearing wheels and hydrostatic drive on the HRR series. Guess I have to decide if it is $300.00 important to me.

I'll go tomorrow and check out my local dealer, last year he was competitive on prices and he gives good service so I'll at least let him have a shot.

As for things being the same, perhaps now they are and perhaps they always were with Honda, but as someone who owns a JS63 which list parts for JS63 and JS63HD most of the time I want to make sure I'm actually getting the same thing if I choose to buy at HD.

They are the same. Honda says that some computer systems have 10 digit space limitations for model numbers, whereas webpages are unlimited. The "K" version is technically the full model number. By the way, Home Depot does not carry name brand (Honda, ....) items that are made specifically for HD.

This is what Honda said when I called them as well. Obviously they would not know about other manufacturers... but they said that they do not make any mowers specifically for HD and that they do not know where they are going when built.

My dealer said that the invoices they get sometimes have the "K" and sometimes not. They also said 4 is the year of manufacture.

Between the HZA and HYA Home Depot is cheaper on one model and the local dealer cheaper on the other...

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
[...
My dealer said that the invoices they get sometimes have the "K" and sometimes not. They also said 4 is the year of manufacture.

If that is the case is your new mower built in 2004 or 2014?

Congratulations on the new machine, now I want one!

Originally Posted By: tom slick
[...

If that is the case is your new mower built in 2004 or 2014?

Congratulations on the new machine, now I want one!

I suspect from my experience with Honda and Kawasaki motorcycles that it is the 4th year of the "K" model. For instance a ZX750P1 is a 1996 model...

As a point of clarification both Honda and the dealer said the "4" indicated the "year" of manufacture.

I should have to mow this weekend, so hopefully it performs as well as expected, it was the most I've ever spent on a mower... (I do think I got a good deal, it was under MSRP even with tax and all)

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Well, I'm a HRX-HZA owner...

wink.gif

Pics or it didn't happen!

HRX.jpg

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Nice...electric start also?

Yes. The ones without electric start have a bracket on the handle that holds the pull starter. On the electric start ones, the battery mounts there.

It is very easy to start using either method.

Well, I'm a HRX-HZA owner...

wink.gif

That's one kick-*** machine. I just picked up the HRR216VKA last week. It blew my old MTD Yard-man completely out of the water. Made me wonder why I took so long to get one. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back