CVTs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pass on anything with a CVT. The simple fact that Infiniti's new JX has a tow rating of only 3500lb tells me it has a serious weak spot.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Not much in a torque conveter to wear out.

Actually a very common cause of trans failure.

As converters fail they throw metal, and it clogs valves and ruins more things downstream. Bearings and TC clutch (lock up) are common points.

True, my Van is on it's third converter at 100,000 miles (one replaced free, no towing), my 2001 Impala's converter went out at 50,000 miles.

CVT's fluid generally does not require replacing as much as a converter because it doesn't "wear metal particles". The "computer" on Nissan's often doesn't require flushing until after 200,000 miles.

I'd rock a properly-implemented CVT if it was necessary. I test-drove a CVT-equipped 2012 Impreza, and liked how the transmission was sorted out. No rubber-band feel, and the car moved smartly. It was also quick to rev as needed.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I pass on anything with a CVT. The simple fact that Infiniti's new JX has a tow rating of only 3500lb tells me it has a serious weak spot.

I would really fear towing anything with one.

They simply do not have torque capacity, and thus require all kinds of software limiters on the engine and trans programming.

Originally Posted By: Mullick2001
Originally Posted By: JTK

They're not any more issue prone or expensive to maintain or replace than today's conventional automatics.

Sorry but you are wrong here. The transmission flush for my cvt with the filter changes is $300 and needs to be done every 60,000 miles.

Dealer service departments in my area charge $200+ for a conventional "transmission service", which may or may not even include a full fluid exchange.

Costs are always going to vary and ATs in any configuration are expensive.

Wow

Very mixed opinions in here... I don't think the fluid service is a bad thing, because I would for sure be doing 30k service for at least $200 at the dealer on any auto, regardless of the "lifetime" fluid...

I just hear horror stories of $7k replacements at 80k miles, but from the sound of it, that shouldn't be the case with newer vehicles.

Drivability? I drive easy, so honestly, I like the smoothness of the CVT, as well as the economy of keeping the RPMs nice and low on the highway. I don't floor it to pass like a maniac, either.

I will not own a CVT (or a DSG) unless it comes with a lifetime, unlimited-mileage warranty. The potential for huge-dollar repair is just too high.

They can't be worse than the 5 speed autos offered a few years ago. My Father had a 2000 Acura TL that went through multiple transmission failures before 100k, and they have a 2004 Maxima with 70k on it that sure feels like the transmission is ready to give out. I can't see a CVT being much worse from a reliability perspective.

Can't stand the feel of a CVT. It is like driving a rubber band.
In 2010, on vacation we rented an Altima. Really liked the car except for the feel of the transmission.
I hurried up and bought a 2012 Accord to avoid the CVT as well as DI.
I'll avoid cars with CVT's until I have no other choice.

Love the one in our new Cube. Driving around on country highways and a couple Interstate runs just today and I averaged 39.2 mpg. Seems responsive and in the city it will accelerate the vehicle while the engine is at about 1200 rpms so no engine noise. I do worry a little about reliability, but I worry about that with all automatics.

ref

Originally Posted By: Shannow
As an erngineer, I understand how CVTs are good for performance/economy. As a driver, I loathe them (Toyota's hybrid drivetrain makes sense 'though).

Never driven one but I think the same way.

I still say, if they just added more insulation, so one could not hear the engine rev up, no one would care about shifty transmissions.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Shannow
As an erngineer, I understand how CVTs are good for performance/economy. As a driver, I loathe them (Toyota's hybrid drivetrain makes sense 'though).

Never driven one but I think the same way.

I still say, if they just added more insulation, so one could not hear the engine rev up, no one would care about shifty transmissions.

The Altima I had last year when I went to NY/NJ/PA/Canada (put almost 3,000 miles on it) and could not hear the motor that much.

The vehicle did do well as far as getting down the road and MPG, but it just stunk as far as driving for me. Never seemed (other than on flat roads at 70 mph) to know what it wanted to do. The engine would rev to x and then the vehicle would run up to speed. The problem was the engine was not high enough in REVS to power the vehicle in the beginning and then seemed to rev to high for going down the road (when compared to a normal 4/5/6 speed transmission)

Never did get used to it. Loved the car other than the transmission/engine combo.

I have a Jeep Patriot with a CVT and it is my 1st. It is a Jatco CVT which is the same ones used by Nissan( I think this is right anwyay ).

Have to admit I was very nervous about buying a vehicle with a CVT after all the problems my Sister has had with her Honda Odyssey mini vans. She has had 2 of them and both with CVT's. Both vans have lost the transmissions before 100K.

I will have only had my Patriot for 2 years come August and I only have a little over 15K on it at this point. So clearly no transmission troubles yet. It is not uncommon though for the CVT in the Patriot to fail as it is in other vehicles. It does seem CVT's have a higher failure rate than a regular auto trans. Also seems no one rebuilds/repairs them they just replace them. Anywhere from say $4500 to as much as $7000 depending on vehicle and what CVT.

I will not keep my Patriot past the 5 year/100K powertrain warranty period so I am not worried. If it fails it will be covered. I would be very hesitant to own a vehicle with a CVT if I was going to have to foot the bill if it puked.

I actually don't mind how it shifts. Many people do not like CVT's because of how they perform but it is fine to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I have a Jeep Patriot with a CVT and it is my 1st. It is a Jatco CVT which is the same ones used by Nissan( I think this is right anwyay ).

Have to admit I was very nervous about buying a vehicle with a CVT after all the problems my Sister has had with her Honda Odyssey mini vans. She has had 2 of them and both with CVT's. Both vans have lost the transmissions before 100K.

I will have only had my Patriot for 2 years come August and I only have a little over 15K on it at this point. So clearly no transmission troubles yet. It is not uncommon though for the CVT in the Patriot to fail as it is in other vehicles. It does seem CVT's have a higher failure rate than a regular auto trans. Also seems no one rebuilds/repairs them they just replace them. Anywhere from say $4500 to as much as $7000 depending on vehicle and what CVT.

I will not keep my Patriot past the 5 year/100K powertrain warranty period so I am not worried. If it fails it will be covered. I would be very hesitant to own a vehicle with a CVT if I was going to have to foot the bill if it puked.

I actually don't mind how it shifts. Many people do not like CVT's because of how they perform but it is fine to me.

I'm pretty sure Honda never offered a CVT transmission with the Odyssey.

Well slap me silly. She told me it was a CVT and that is what I assumed it was.
33.gif

Continuously volatile tranmssion
crackmeup2.gif

I should have known better. I am the one with the automotive background and she is a computer geek who knows little about cars( she does take care of them right at least ).

Kind of embarassing for me.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back