oil getting dark after a few hundred miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in my '11 Accent, and it seems like the new oil is getting dark really fast. The facts: I have owned the car since new, oil was changed regularly. First I used QSGB, but last oil was mostly QSUD (plus some leftover GB), and this time it was all QSUD. The longest OCI was the last one: 7000 miles and almost a year - I'm waiting for oil analysis result on that one. It was pitch black when it came out. Manual requires 7500 miles or 1 year.

I know that color is not a good indication of oil life, but I have never seen oil turning dark in a few hundred miles. Instead of light honey colored it is already dark brown. Should I be concerned?

Thanks,

My girlfriend have the exact same car, same year. I'm using Amsoil Sig Serie and this is the same for me. Oil start to be very dark around 3-4000 miles.

I would run it around 3-5, 000 Miles and do a uoa. Thats the only sure fire way to know what is or isnt going on.

Last edited:
No, my 2008 Accent and 2010 Genesis Coupe do the same thing. I've had both since new. it is more the driving style and if cold where you are the initial warm up period.

Hi,

I do have a hyundai accent 2008 too, with the 1.6L.
Its been like over 3 month now, around 4500 km since pennzoil platinum is running and to my suprise, the oil is dark brown-black, I drive the severe service, short trip, stop and go, high rpm, highway once on twice a week.

But still, I dont think synthetic is worth it really, next I will run Valvoline WB 5w20 or Quaker State GB, something on sale. I know pennzoil platinum is well known for its cleaning capability, but I think its not an extended OCI oil. I would stick with 6000 km OCI, 5000 km with a good dino and that my plan next OC.

Maybe I will go back with Castrol Syntec 5w20 or 5w30 since summer is comming soon.
To me pennzoil didnt make much diffrence over dino, I would say go with PYB with short OCI, its a well known dino on this forum too, so why go synthetic? Just change it.

I'm using M1 0w20 and do the full mill of driving. Frequent starts (20-30 a day), city driving and then a 60 mile drive home on the freeway. But it has never mattered what kind of filter and oil I use over the years. It just gets dark early. I would be more worried if it did not get dark.

It's when the oil is pitch black on the dipstick, in a gasoline engine, when you should be worried and lower the OCI. Otherwise light to dark brown is absolutely normal. When drain the oil pretty much always will look black.
I remember when my Mazda was brand new, the oil on the dipstick was always honey coloured and very hard to read on the dipstick, but when drained it was black. Progressively the oil started looking darker and as the miles piled on started to turn dark sooner. Now, with 100k on the clock the oil stays fairly clean for first 1000-1500 miles into the OCI.

If you have that 1.6L engine in there you need to be doing more frequent oil changes. With long oil change intervals those engines tend to clog up the returns and pump whatever excess oil doesn't fit under the valve cover straight into the PCV. There are advantages to a dry sump system, but not an accidental conversion to dry sump.

The UOA's of my Accent support a 5k OCI w/syn.
Fairly high rpms & a 3.48 qt sump + engine design, I suspect, are the reason.
Pick your favorite syn & run 5k. You might be able to go a little farther,
buy why push it ? I use M1 0w30 & OEM oil filters. Works great.

just dark is no biggie. if you see particles and dirt id be more concerned. but if its thin the oil and just dark i wouldnt worry.

Probably the detergents cleaning old residue.

Nothing to worry about. Oils are now slightly different formulations (SN) so that may give more effective cleaning than previous specs.

QSGB is a smooth running, great lubricating oil but I suspect it doesn't clean all that well. There was a recent similar post on KIA forum, the owner had been running QSGB and switched and the new oil got black really fast.

I am NOT suggesting it's not good oil or that it will sludge LOL this is not the seventies!

OK thanks for the responses. UOA is in progress on the old black oil. I'll post it on the UOA forum once I get the results. It's been a while since I sent it in; maybe it clogged the lab's machine, LOL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back