Help Keep My Car Going

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used to be a lot more of a regular forum go'er here but then got married, got a new job, and I have a 10 mile drive to/from work.
smile.gif
Miss this place.

My 2004 Pontiac Sunfire is my only car and I've got 239,000 miles on it (original engine, transmission, etc...). Thanks to this board I've been changing its oil and transmission fluid (Synthetic for 99% of its life) (filters/etc...).

Need some help keeping my car going as finances aren't great and I can't afford a new car.

1. I just recently started burning 1 quart of oil every 3,000 miles consistently for the last 40,000 miles. Because of this I ran the oil longer than usual (going to 8-10k instead of 5k OCIs) making sure to keep it topped up. For last 150,000 miles used mostly Mobil 1 5w20 with some 0w30.

2. Transmission (Manual 5spd) is starting to whine pretty loudly at 50mph-70mph when I let off the accelerator. Could be because of the cold weather (17F here in Victorville)? I use Royal Purple ATF and have for most of its life (Amsoil ATF before that). See next paragraph for more information.

Because of oil consumption I just purchased Mobil 1 5w30 Highmileage oil last oil change. Engine sounds completely different vs Mobil 1 5w20. Seems this oil is much thicker. But consumption has gone to 0 for the last several thousand miles. But cold starts in the morning seem REALLY hard on engine now vs the 5w20. And that transmission whine seems louder now. Everything sound ok?

Thanks to this forum - only reason why I got to 239,000 miles and hoping to get many more though at a much slower pace (180 miles/day for last 7 years vs 20 miles/day now).

Hope everyone has a good day.

Thanks,
-Paul

Last edited:
I'd check that the ATF is the right weight for it. I know it's completley different vehicles and transmissions, but people report good results running T6 in their manual transmissions in the Ford Focus' MTX-75. In an actual rear end that's usually caused by a worn out pinion bearing.

Why not run a 0w-30 synthetic? It's a bit easier to start and will flow, but once it comes up to temperature you'll have a 30 grade.

Why not pick up another $1000 car? Don't need a new one!

@Miller88

1. I used ATF back in the day because the 2004 Sunfire manual said that was the weight to use. Every mechanic balked at the idea of using ATF in a manual transmission until I showed them the manual. Eventually lost the manual because I had to take it out so much. :p But will look into T6 - thanks.

2. Figured the oil loss was due to seals so I tried the high mileage stuff. I was getting oil loss with 0w30 too. So far nothing with the Mobil 1 5w30 high mileage but I haven't run it that long.

3. Probably going to have to do that though I'm one of those people that don't like used things. :p Thanks for the suggestion - beats a lease or new car payment.

I also notice more sluggish cold starts with high mileage oils. maybe add 1 quart of 0w-20 to the 5w-30 high mileage? it's kind of a trade off because I also have found success slowing oil consumption with these oils. Although it may be noisier, I sincerely doubt it's hurting anything.

Welcome back, bud!

1 quart/3k isn't that high of oil consumption. If you lke the way the engine runs of the thinner 20 or 30 weights, just keep it topped-off.

Another option is to blend M1 HM 5W-30 or 10W-30 with a lighter oi, like s0me 0W-20. That will thin it down, but still give you HM additives that might help.

For the transmission, I know you like Amsoil products, and they make ah MTF that I've heard is good stuff...maybe try that?

Originally Posted By: OriginHacker21
Used to be a lot more of a regular forum go'er here but then got married, got a new job, and I have a 10 mile drive to/from work.
smile.gif
Miss this place.

My 2004 Pontiac Sunfire is my only car and I've got 239,000 miles on it (original engine, transmission, etc...). Thanks to this board I've been changing its oil and transmission fluid (Synthetic for 99% of its life) (filters/etc...).

Need some help keeping my car going as finances aren't great and I can't afford a new car.

1. I just recently started burning 1 quart of oil every 3,000 miles consistently for the last 40,000 miles. Because of this I ran the oil longer than usual (going to 8-10k instead of 5k OCIs) making sure to keep it topped up. For last 150,000 miles used mostly Mobil 1 5w20 with some 0w30.

2. Transmission (Manual 5spd) is starting to whine pretty loudly at 50mph-70mph when I let off the accelerator. Could be because of the cold weather (17F here in Victorville)? I use Royal Purple ATF and have for most of its life (Amsoil ATF before that). See next paragraph for more information.

Because of oil consumption I just purchased Mobil 1 5w30 Highmileage oil last oil change. Engine sounds completely different vs Mobil 1 5w20. Seems this oil is much thicker. But consumption has gone to 0 for the last several thousand miles. But cold starts in the morning seem REALLY hard on engine now vs the 5w20. And that transmission whine seems louder now. Everything sound ok?

Thanks to this forum - only reason why I got to 239,000 miles and hoping to get many more though at a much slower pace (180 miles/day for last 7 years vs 20 miles/day now).

Hope everyone has a good day.

Thanks,
-Paul

Good move changing from a 5/20 to a 5/30 HM oil. If you notice a difference in cold starts it is probably nothing to do with the new oil as they are both 5W rated, most likely just an old battery or bad connections.
The first thing to do if your box starts to whine is check the fluid level, if it's not low, drain and change it anyway.

Last edited:
If you switch back to the Amsoil ATF, does it make any difference?
I would assume with that kind of miles, there might just not be much you could have done differently.
Some people report perfect service and driving conditions and get that kind of miles out of a trans before it has to be rebuilt or replaced.

Originally Posted By: skyship

Good move changing from a 5/20 to a 5/30 HM oil. If you notice a difference in cold starts it is probably nothing to do with the new oil as they are both 5W rated, most likely just an old battery or bad connections.
The first thing to do if your box starts to whine is check the fluid level, if it's not low, drain and change it anyway.

Was wondering about that - OK will do to change the Transmission fluid. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
If you switch back to the Amsoil ATF, does it make any difference?
I would assume with that kind of miles, there might just not be much you could have done differently.
Some people report perfect service and driving conditions and get that kind of miles out of a trans before it has to be rebuilt or replaced.

Haven't used Amsoil ATF for awhile mainly because of convenience (Napa near me has RoyalPurple ATF). I can give it a try.

Clean the PCV valve?

Stick with M1HM if it works well, you could even do a 10w-30 if you want. If it keeps up with consumption, try a 40 grade. IF that doesnt work, looks like you might be switching to a HM conventional 30 grade or 40 grade.

@mechtech2 - do you have a recommendation on type? Should I stay synthetic? I've seen T6 and MT recommended.

I usually change transmission fluid every 2-3 oil changes. Each OCI is usually 5-8k.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back