Chevy Prizm transmission fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandmother is due for a transmission fluid change on her 2001 Prizm. I do her oil changes but have never done trans fluid on this particular car. Did some searching and didn't find many answers. She doesn't have an owner's manual to consult. Her car is automatic. Not sure if it is a 3-spd or a 4-spd. What type of transmission fluid does her car need?

That transmission is not picky. I would use something like Maxlife or another similar fluid. Wal-mart has a MerconV fluid or a multi-vehicle ATF if you want a good fluid for the money. Yes, amsoil is a very good fluid and costs twice as much.

That is a Toyata, should have a drain plug. Do a couple of Drain and fills 500 miles apart with Maxlife Dex/Merc and call it a day. The newer thin fluids like DEX 6 snd Merc V are not what this tranny needs IMO. Use what the dipstick says.

Maxlife atf is now one of those thinner fluids, but seems to work well in the older transmissions as well as new ones. I like it! And Mercon V is not a thin spec fluid. Mercon LV is their thinner spec fluid.

Some variants of this car have a separate fill for the differential that also take the same ATF.

Take the dipstick out and read it first. It would say either Dexron III or Toyota T-IV so you would know what to use.

I would just buy Valvoline Maxlife or Castrol Import Multivehicle and not even worry about it since they work wherever Dexron III or Toyota T-IV is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back