Schaeffer 229 grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just looking through the grease section on the Schaeffer website. The information for the #229 Ultra Red Supreme Grease said: "**Due to its superior cohesive and adhesive properties Ultra Red Supreme is not recommended for use in passenger car automotive wheel bearing applications."

What does the cohesive and adhesive properties do to the wheel bearings? Does it resist rotation?

Some of the other greases say "tacky" or "extra tackifier." I know what tacky means, but does the tackiness resist rotation or movement?

I was just looking at different greases to see which ones might be good or milling machine and lathe slides that are in contact with water soluble coolant. I don't want a grease that interferes with the "feel" of the dials.

Last edited:
A very tacky grease can sometimes curl around the spindle rather than stay in the bearing...I don't think that would be an issue in your application.

Quote:
I don't want a grease that interferes with the "feel" of the dials.

A sticky grease will cause drag. Just think about chewing gum on your shoe.

A grease with too much tackifier won't flow into a small high speed bearing the way it should. Schaeffer #238 is another stiff grease that also isn't suitable for smaller bearings.

Schaeffer #221 or #274 is great in these bearings. I use 274 in my truck's u-joints--115,000 miles and still tight. I also use 274 in my trailer wheel bearings, and after a 60 mph run they're still cool, not even normally warm, to the touch.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
A grease with too much tackifier won't flow into a small high speed bearing the way it should. Schaeffer #238 is another stiff grease that also isn't suitable for smaller bearings.

Schaeffer #221 or #274 is great in these bearings. I use 274 in my truck's u-joints--115,000 miles and still tight. I also use 274 in my trailer wheel bearings, and after a 60 mph run they're still cool, not even normally warm, to the touch.

The 274 looked very good on paper. I was considering that in either #1 or #2 grade. I know #2 is normal automotive grease, but I think I would like something lighter/thinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back