Pennzoil Syncromesh in new Honda ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've search many threads but could not find any info.

Has anyone used Pennzoil Syncromesh in a newer Honda (2008+) manual transmission for your Accord, Fit or Civic ?

If so how does it compare to Honda MTF ?

I have never felt it used in a new Honda transmission, but a worn Honda tranny shows great results over Honda MTF about 80% of the time, in my experience with a s20, s40 and now a Ya1 it has proven to shift better at all temps.

I would never use anything other than Honda MTF in Honda manual tranny, including my friend's wifey 98 Acura 1.6EL, my own 07 fit, etc.

Q.

If I didn't thrash mine on a daily basis I would probably use the thin 20wt Honda MTF for max MPG, because that was the reason for the "new" fluid.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^So far I've preferred Amsoil's MTF > Honda Genuine Type-II.

And the Pennzoil synchromesh works well too.

Amsoil MTF > Pennzoil > Honda MTF > engine oil

The two transmissions I had didn't shift very well once warm with Amsoil, not sure why, but the cold shifting was excellent.

I plan to try Amsoil again in my b18 cable trans this summer.

If you guys can find it try the GM/AC Delco Synchromesh Friction Modified fluid. I had 3rd gear pop out issue on my TL and the GM fluid fixed it up no pop out for over a year now.

There is regular GM Synchromesh and then there is GM Synchromesh Friction Modified (they have different part numbers.

Part no is either 12377916 or 10953509 (under ac delco brand)

Last edited:
The parts guy at my Gm dealership looked at me like I was riding the short bus when I asked for their friction modified synchromesh fluid.... Got an even better look from him when I told him it was for my Honda, he almost passed out from shock that I was going to try that, and he couldn't find any with the part #.

I have the '06 Accord V6 with 3rd gear pop out fairly often and really annoying with FF @55k. After doing lots of research, the GM Synchromesh Friction Modified is highly recommended but rather expensive, so I went with the Penzoil Syncromesh for about 50% less price than the GM one and couple bucks cheaper than the Honda MFT /qt. Changed it @ 85k and have been more than 10k on it and haven't had problem at all.

It was thought to be a sleeve issue as in the bulletin and been fighting the dealer to replace it for free for about 30k miles.

Good luck.

The 12377916 is the friction modified symchromesh fluid and is full synthetic.

The Pennzoil Synchromesh is mostly mineral oil.

I'm not sure if they updated the formula for GM Synchromesh Friction Modified, but the new part number is #88900399 now, any #12377916 you find is old stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back