Suggested oil for ES300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I just purchased a 1997 Lexus ES300.

I was wondering what you all think is the best oil for the engine. It has an aluminum block.. if that has anything to do with the decision.

It has 171,xxx miles on it.

The manual says to use API SH, Energy-Conserving II (multigrade) engine oil or ILSAC (multigrade) engine oil. 5W-30

I'm almost positive the original owner only put conventional oil in it; and from what I've read its wise to continue putting convential in due to the high mileage. Which would be the best oil for this application?

Thanks,
Josh

Last edited:
1MZ-FE? not sure if the 97 ES300 had that engine or not but if it does,
you'll need to make sure the PCV is in working order or else you'll have problems real quick.
You're gonna want to stick with either a 5W30 or 10W30. You can use either synthetic or conventional.
I stick with very conservative oil change intervals on my 1MZ-FE Camry. 3K with Conventional and 5-6K with Synthetics.

Make sure the PCV is working well. I'd use Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 in your climate all year long. Change at 5K intervals.

Yes, it is the 1MZ-FE. I'd assume you mentioned the PCV due to the fact that these engines are known for sludging real bad. will this help it?

side note: I bought the car with a little over 4,000 mile old oil in it. - hopefully this doesn't sludge it to death (literally).

Did you change your V6 camry to synthetic with high miles?

and BTW, I must mention that I do like flogging it every now and then.. if that should be considered for oil durrability.

Making sure that the pcv valve is in working order will deter the "gelling" of oil due to the poorly designed oil system (aka sludge). Check to see that the hose leading from the valve is clear as well. 4k isn't terrible but long intervals using conventional paired with a malfunctional pcv valve will surely cause sludge issues. Stick to shorter intervals with this engine. I switched from conventional to synthetic on my 1mz at approximately 180k with no consumption issues. Can't comment much on "flogging" it now and then but at 250k my 1MZ doesn't use a drop of oil and has perfect compression. I recently took the front valve cover off to swap the gasket. Just a bit of varnish but no sludge. It looked pretty for a 1MZ lol.
thumbsup2.gif

Good advice on the PCV and its hose.
I'd also add to use an OEM valve, they are cheap, and the dealers stock a ton of them for good reason.

I have 1mz-fe on my 2006 camry v6. I use nothing but castrol gtx, mobil super, chevron supreme 5w30..

279,000 miles and still strong.

Use dino and save money.

Welcome to BITOG!

For the 97-01 Es300/Camry V6/anything with that 1MZ-FE engine in those years has a known sludge issue. You will often see this generation V6 referred to as the "sludge years"

I'd recommend Castrol Edge Syntec (black bottle) 0W-30, in 5000-mile intervals. You'll often see this oil referred to as GC or "German Castrol" here on BITOG

Mobil 1 HM 5w30 is another good choice.

Use any oil filter EXCEPT Fram, and change the PCV valve every year or every other oil change.

Hi, I used to have 99 Camry with the same engine. I got it already sludged up.
Change your PCV valve and keep checking it every year.
Use whatever oil is on sale, but those engines --I would keep dino for 3k, blend for 5k and syn for 7k maximum.
For example Maxlife 10w-30 was pretty much done at 4500 miles on my car.
I would suggest to try all 3 kinds, do uoa on all 3 and then calculate what makes more sense for you.
Also consider adding some MMO close to the end of OCI. If car burns oil--piston soak will help (With Kreen). It did dramatically improve crazy oil usage( 1qt in 300 miles up to 1qt in 3000 miles) situation with my car.

Originally Posted By: moto94536
I have 1mz-fe on my 2006 camry v6. I use nothing but castrol gtx, mobil super, chevron supreme 5w30..

279,000 miles and still strong.

Use dino and save money.

No you dont, you have the 3MZ-FE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back