Amsoil XL 5w30, 11,283mi, '04 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
First ever UOA on our 2004 Corolla LE, automatic, 1ZZ-FE 1.8L, bought new in December 2003.

Typically I don't put this many miles on the Amsoil XL, but we had a couple of 1,000+ mile trips this summer. I usually run the XL every 6 months, which relates to around 8K miles. Looks pretty good to me, although the TBN was pretty well spent. Also had a bottle of Amsoil Pi Gas Improver at the beginning of the cycle. Oil filter was a standard Toyota filter. Still runs like a champ...it averaged almost 41mpg Labor Day weekend on a trip we took around Lake Michigan.

Discuss!

8048873961_d7a1c1cb2e_b.jpg

Last edited:
The Corolla engine always wears well. That and the 2.4L Honda 4 are about the most oil-friendly engines out there.

Go ahead, name the others........and let's get this party started.

Silicon is high, otherwise fantastic result, oil held up well. Do check that air filter, and nice to see a report using this oil-- I've always wondered how it held up after seeing it sold locally at semi-decent prices.

Blackstone recommending that you extend your interval even more is ridiculously poor advice. Regardless of the "wear" results, expecting an oil to do its job AFTER the TBN has depleted is asking for trouble. You may not have issues, but is it worth the risk?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Blackstone recommending that you extend your interval even more is ridiculously poor advice. Regardless of the "wear" results, expecting an oil to do its job AFTER the TBN has depleted is asking for trouble. You may not have issues, but is it worth the risk?

Yeah, the 11K was more than I wanted to take it, but I never checked to see where it was, miles-wise. I typically change it in late March and again in late September, so the miles on this was somewhat of an anomaly. It'd be interesting to see how the Signature Series 5w-30 would've compared.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Silicon is high, otherwise fantastic result, oil held up well. Do check that air filter, and nice to see a report using this oil-- I've always wondered how it held up after seeing it sold locally at semi-decent prices.

I changed the filter in the spring with the oil change. I checked tonight and everything seemed to be secure, but I'll give it a look-see this weekend to see if there are any signs of crackage in the housing.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
The Corolla engine always wears well. That and the 2.4L Honda 4 are about the most oil-friendly engines out there.

Go ahead, name the others........and let's get this party started.

I agree that both the Toyota and Honda are long wearing engines but I was under the impression that the 1ZZFE's timing chain beat up the oil and made extended OCI's dicey.....I do know that Bill in Utah runs 7 and 8K OCIs on dino in his 1ZZFE with great results..I haven't gone over 5K on mine...

0.2 TBN I wouldn't run it any farther.

I'm surprised blackstone said to extend it? Whats the point of a TBN test if they are gonna ignore the results?

Thanks for the post OP

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I would reduce OCI to around 9-10k miles. To be safe, TBN should be 1.5-2.0.

^ this

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
0.2 TBN I wouldn't run it any farther.

I'm surprised blackstone said to extend it? Whats the point of a TBN test if they are gonna ignore the results?

Thanks for the post OP

I agree and am surprised to see / read them say that. Shocked really. From what i've read, their TBN scale is a little on the conservative side, so 1.0 on their scale is technically still good for a few more miles as other Labs would show TBN of 2-3.
That being said, seeing the results of 0.2 and suggesting 2,000 more miles next time is crazy. With that kind of extended OCI, i could take my Civic's intervals well into 20k territory which will result in ZERO TBN.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I would reduce OCI to around 9-10k miles. To be safe, TBN should be 1.5-2.0.

Amsoil XL is rated for 10k by Amsoil. I've ran it for 9,150 miles and had a TBN of 1.9 left, so it is definitely a 10k oil but any longer then that is not only going against Blackstone's own rules on "safe" TBN use but Amsoil's own recommendations as well. I personally wouldn't do it.

OP, take it to 10k with XL on future runs with ease. Draining it at 8k is a waste since there's more life left in the oil at that point.

Thanks for posting.

Isn't it not only about low wear number but overall engine cleanliness as well?

If Blackstone knows that running the TBN into the NEGATIVES won't increase wear and suggesting the OP run the oil 2,000 more miles is a "safe" recommendation, what about oil deposits and varnish / sludge beginning to develop since there is no active additives left in the oil???

I'm sure if the OP follows their recommendation and runs the oil 13k miles next and the UOA will show increased wear, they'd suggest backing off a bit. This is their way of "testing" to see how far the oil can go before engine wear begins to increase as a result of... who knows what's going on inside that engine with Zero TBN.

35.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
Isn't it not only about low wear number but overall engine cleanliness as well?

If Blackstone knows that running the TBN into the NEGATIVES won't increase wear and suggesting the OP run the oil 2,000 more miles is a "safe" recommendation, what about oil deposits and varnish / sludge beginning to develop since there is no active additives left in the oil???

I'm sure if the OP follows their recommendation and runs the oil 13k miles next and the UOA will show increased wear, they'd suggest backing off a bit. This is their way of "testing" to see how far the oil can go before engine wear begins to increase as a result of... who knows what's going on inside that engine with Zero TBN.

35.gif

Great question. Oxidation is what you don't want to see as that is the #1 culprit to sludge/deposits.

As we know, base oils do not ever wear out, but additives/additive packages do.

Being oil is cheap, and engines are not, the smart thing to do is to not run oils to far. I'd rather be conservative and stick with 5-10k miles max on drain intervals.

Leave the super long drains to truck fleets. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back