Did Auto-RX ruin my drain plug washer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prior to an Auto-RX treatment on my Mustang, I put new drain plug washers on. These were the brass washers with rubber inner linings. When I changed the oil, I noticed the rubber was VERY soft on the washers, but I reused them anyhow. 300 miles into the next interval, I noticed seepage from my drain plugs. Rather than take any chances, I changed the oil again today (kept the filter on, though) and the rubber was practically peeling off of the washers. I put new nylon washers on and refilled the sump. No more seepage.

Did Auto-RX's rubber-softening properties do this, or were these crappy single-use washers to begin with? I've never used this type of washer previously.

Don't know here, but for the most part, you should ALWAYS replace the washer, no matter if nylon, rubber, metal, crush indeed... I have found you can get away with using the nylon ones two or three times, but just be aware there could be issues. IMO, if you don't act loke an animal when putting them on then the nylon ones are more than likely okay for two uses for sure.

quote:

Originally posted by timzak:
*-*-*-
Did Auto-RX's rubber-softening properties do this, or were these crappy single-use washers to begin with? I've never used this type of washer previously.

Buy another washer and soak it.

My personal experiences are:
nylon washers crack
rubber-coated washers peal
rubber washers squish
copper washers last forever

Use a torque wrench.

the way that stuff works meaning slowly with non toxic or green technology probably not. I mean that stuff smells good, sometimes I'm tempted to use it on my steak instead of A! sauce !
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Frank:
Auto-Rx does not harm any material or metal, it
only cleans them, slowly and safely.

Hi Frank, the only thing I was concerned with was the rubber on the washer. I don't suspect Auto-RX would harm any engine component, but those who use drain plug washers with rubber linings should use caution because of Auto-RX's rubber-softening properties.

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
I don't think Auto-rx has rubber softening properties. At least I hope not, for the sake of my engine seals.

That's how AutoRx stops seal leaks...it softens them so they become pliable and "flappy." This allows the oil to get behind the seals and rinse out contaminents that are keeping them from sealing properly. After the rinse phase, the non-AutoRX'd oil causes the seals to return to normal hardness.

Engine seals are much too robust to be adversely affected, though. The washer I am talking about has a nearly paper-thin rubber inner lining.

Since I've never used this type of washer before, I don't know that they wouldn't do the same thing after 3000 miles of non-AutoRX'd oil. I can't prove the AutoRX did this, I'm only pointing out the possibility as a cautionary measure.

Your right Auto-Rx makes seals pliable (not swollen )and it does not alter composistion of seal material or any other material. After seals refurbished,simple additive package in non synthetic oil has perfect chemistry to harden seals just enough for snug fit.Users of synthetic oil( after cleaning engine with Auto-Rx ) have extra benefit with maintenance dose of Auto-Rx it pertects there seals, from complex additive pacakagein synthetic oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back