Seafoam in the oil port. Good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard different opinioins on this. They're quite controvirsial. I'm about to seafoam the cylinders in my truck. Do you think I can benefit from adding 2oz of that stuff in my crank case too? Or will it cause more bad than good?

Last edited:
I think the answer you will find on here (and the one I agree with the most) is - you are better off using a good-quality oil and clean up gradually over time. A high mileage oil. A HDEO. Even a standard conventional known for "cleaning" (e.g. PYB, I believe).

Are you having trouble with your truck?

No, no trouble(knock on wood). It just turned 100K, so I thought might be good idea to give it a nice intestinal cleaning.

Last edited:
I would not use it, if the OC were kept up with and everything the SEAFOAM wont really be neccesary for you. I would just keep it to the gas tank and cylinders.

I think you would benefit most from not using Seafoam at all. A PEA additive as a brake booster or piston soak and synthetic oil will be more effective than an upper cylinder boat lube and fuel stabilizer smokeshow. Use a couple of bottles of techron concentrate or Red Line si-1.

So, your question is "should I dump some solvent in my oil?". That's all seafoam really is...solvent and no, personally, I wouldn't...not in your case, where you say nothing is wrong.

I've used Seafoam to clean the intake manifold, seems to clean it up a bit, sure makes a ton of smoke out the pipe, but I wouldn't add any solvent to the oil...

Kreen fans, feel free to speak up, I've not used Kreen and my understanding (from reading the product description) is that it's a solvent as well...

Seafoam is mostly pale oil actually. Lubricant. Where the smoke comes from. Has some Naphtha, but thats an old school solvent compared to PEA. I used Kreen in the tank, found no difference to a PEA add. Maybe because I'm clean. And for a brake booster app, its too toxic and dangerous. I think Kreen's value is in your oil.

I had a feeling that I'll get that kind of responses, but I'm glad I asked. Thank you.
Btw I intend to seafoam the cylinders through the PCV hose, not a brake booster.

Originally Posted By: swampy_swimmer
I had a feeling that I'll get that kind of responses, but I'm glad I asked. Thank you.
Btw I intend to seafoam the cylinders through the PCV hose, not a brake booster.

Same thing. I'm against "seafoaming". Useless fouling of the cat with lubricant. Its just a fun thing kids do I guess.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Seafoam is mostly pale oil actually. Lubricant. Where the smoke comes from. Has some Naphtha, but thats an old school solvent compared to PEA. I used Kreen in the tank, found no difference to a PEA add. Maybe because I'm clean. And for a brake booster app, its too toxic and dangerous. I think Kreen's value is in your oil.

OK, thanks, I had thought it was mostly Naptha (white gas, coleman stove fuel, lighter fluid) and alcohol...but the pale oil component was unknown to me...any idea what the percentage is?

I seafoamed my 01 RX as well as my current one, and they smoked like crazy. But it did seem to improve performance.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

OK, thanks, I had thought it was mostly Naptha (white gas, coleman stove fuel, lighter fluid) and alcohol...but the pale oil component was unknown to me...any idea what the percentage is?

Seafoam MSDS:

Pale Oil 40-60%
Naphtha 25-35%
IPA 10-20%

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Seafoam is sometimes good n the fuel system.
But not in the crankcase or into a vacuum line, like some do.

The IPA will get rid of any water, and give you an octane boost that feels great, like 94 octane. Once you refill, its back to how things were before.

I forgot to mention I had a major Dieseling affect when I tried to shut the vehicle off after doing that Seafoam treatment through the pcv line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back