Oil turns reddish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just dumped my last fill of NextGen Maxlife from my '01 GMC Savana 1500. I've been checking the oil level every time I get gas, and while it didn't use any significant oil during the 3100 mi. OCI, it did seem to take on a reddish cast. Not red like ATF, just more red than the golden-brown I'm used to.

Does it mean anything?

Some oils change color.

I use Valvoline Maxlife in a 2000 Grand Am 4 cylinder, and about 750 miles in, it turns a bright yellow.

I was just noticing the color of mobil one HM, it almost instantly turned a bright urine yellow in a few different engines I am running it in.

Yeah, its very light to begin with so you can see it. Its mixing with the small amount of old oil remaining in the engine. I see that too.

I just drained my 3rd OCI of NextGen. It definitely had a red cast to it... I'm glad that I am not the only one who it's happening to...

I just poured some Rotella 15w40 from a 4qt jug to a 1qt container to top off with.
It was so much darker than the 10w40 I was using before that I thought I grabbed a bottle filled with used oil at first.
Turns out that the 15w40 is just a lot darker than I am used to.

I've also seen Green German Castrol and bright green Maxlife soon after it is put into engines.
Interesting stuff.

Maxlife often gets a glow to it that is entertaining. All the HDEO's I've used have been significantly darker than PCMO's, higher TBN's, more calcium etc.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Maxlife often gets a glow to it that is entertaining. All the HDEO's I've used have been significantly darker than PCMO's, higher TBN's, more calcium etc.

Yeah it is intoxicating.

If I recall Pennzoil Ultra briefly took on a slight strawberry tinge that lasted a few weeks early in the OCI, like someone added bit of ATF to the sump. Found it odd.

I literally just dumped the plain Valvoline Next-Gen 5W-20 out of the Town Car, and I definitely noticed it was red where the stream got thin and the light showed through.

I had this happen one time on a 135K Honda Accord. No ATF loss, no other symptoms - very strange.

It was GF-4 Syn-Power 5W-30 BTW, which was what I normally used.

Originally Posted By: freezing1
I had this happen one time on a 135K Honda Accord. No ATF loss, no other symptoms - very strange.

It was GF-4 Syn-Power 5W-30 BTW, which was what I normally used.

Funny you mention this, I recently had the oil changed in my 94 Accord 2.2L non v tec at 129k miles and I noticed this as well. It is not lighter red but it definitely has a reddish cast to it.

I don't know what oil was installed since the dealer did the change, but I checked the ATF and no loss was noticed.

I tend to think it is some varnish as well, perhaps the newest SN formulas do a better job at cleaning, I'm sure the previous oil was SM formula.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Originally Posted By: TC
Oil turning red = Measles.

It's just that time of month. Give it a few days and it will go away.

Ha Ha HA !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back