Picking a new oil for my Porsche Cayman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you might remember this thread about the ticking/sticking/clanging noise I was getting with my low-mile 2006 Porsche Cayman S. Per the recommendation of a reputable shop in my area, I'm running 0W-30 for the next thousand miles or so. For whatever reason, the 30 weight worked to drastically quiet the noise and I think it continues to improve with use (at this point I can only hear it when I remove the sound deadening material above the engine and I really have to listen hard. It has a similar intermittent cadence as before but much less often and much less severe).

Alas, these engines are "supposed" to used 0W-40 or 5W-40 so I'll eventually be going back to a heavier grade. I had used Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 for 2500 miles with no issue. I had just put in new PU Euro 5W-40 when the problem occurred. As the problem has subsided now that the the PU is out, I'm somewhat hesitant to use it again. I realize that that might be kinda crazy, and doubt that the PU was the problem, but with so many quality oils on the market I'd rather just switch to something else and cross that off the list of potential root causes.

I'd love your direction for a car that 1) has had the above issue 2) will never see freezing temperatures 3) will regularly see 90F-100F temperatures 4) is driven hard but not tracked 4) will be driven about 2500 miles a year. In the running for my next fill:

• Liqui Moly Synthoil Premium 5w40 ($7.50 a liter) - Lubro Moly says this is a synthetic. This is what my independent Porsche shop recommends. It is NOT on Porsche's A40 approved oil list, but as I'm far past warranty I'd rather have something that protects as well as possible. It's relatively inexpensive which is a nice plus.
  • Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100 5w40 ($8.50 a liter) - This uses "Synthetic Technology" according to Lubro Moly. It is on the Porsche A40 list.
  • Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-40 ($10.15 a quart) - Pricey, but everybody says that Amsoil is great.
  • Red Line 5W40 Motor Oil ($11.49 a quart) - Really pricey! TPC, a Porsche tuner that does lots of work with aftermarket turbos recommends this in all their cars.
  • Joe Gibbs Flat6 DT 40 ($129.99 for 12 quarts) - Flat 6 Innovations is well known in the Porsche community, particularly amongst 986 and 987 enthusiasts. Flat 6 had Joe Gibbs custom blend this oil. I've heard little else about it.
Other candidates: Royal Purple HPS 10W-40, Motul 8100 X-Cell, Motul 300V

As always, you guys rock. Your insight is much appreciated!

M1 0w-40 is a proven performer in that engine.

I'd be really interested in the "purpose blended" Joe Gibbs Flat 6 oil. Sounds very interesting.

I you can afford a Porsche you can spring $10 for Amsoil. I do not think you can get any better than Amsoil. Sign up to be a preferred buyer and save even more.

I run PU because I am cheap, but in the transmissions and transfer cases and diff., I run Amsoil. When I become rich I will run Amsoil in all moving parts.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
No M1 0w40 on your list? It would be near the top of mine.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

+1

Yes M1 0W-40 would be preferable to all the oils you've listed with the possible exception of this mysterious 0W-30 you're currently running.
What is this 0W-30 and what's your oil pressure reading at 5,000 rpm with it? If it's not below 5 bar I'd likely stick with it.

Originally Posted By: JRed

+1
Originally Posted By: JRed

+1

+2....M-1 0w40 is a top shelf oil (one of the best Mobil produces)....and can be used year-round.....with easy availability. Also its priced lower than all the oils you mentioned (if that makes a difference).

In addition.... most of the UOA's have been excellent (check them out yourself).

I've owned four Porsche's and have been the local club pres for many years.

I'm very surprised your having any trouble at all running exactly what Porsche says you're supposed to. If you're having ticking running the oil the Porsche dealer says to use then you have a mechanical problem. Porsche is not your average manufacturer. They do extensive testing on oil and if they say to use a certain brand/weight, don't deviate from that. One exception is if they're saying Mobil 1...then you can substitute that for Amsoil or another brand of 100% synthetic. Amsoil's website specs this oil out for your 06 Cayman - https://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=AFLQT-EA

Hope you get this fixed!

Oh, is this the original engine? Was it swapped out?

No M1 0w40 on your list? It would be near the top of mine

I'd be really interested in the "purpose blended" Joe Gibbs Flat 6 oil. Sounds very interesting.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is the factory fill, but anything on the Porsche A40 list has been tested and approved. I hear enough anecdotes about better UOAs and quieter top ends from guys using the high end German and American boutique oils that I'm really interested in giving them a go.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I you can afford a Porsche you can spring $10 for Amsoil. I do not think you can get any better than Amsoil. Sign up to be a preferred buyer and save even more.

Most people are surprised at how cheap my Cayman was. Porsches depreciate like mad and a 4-5 year old car has generally lost more than half of its value. Guys driving $40K pickups think I'm driving a Lambo while my car was actually much cheaper than theirs!

Amsoil is indeed intriguing. It sure does have its adherents.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Hope you get this fixed!

Oh, is this the original engine? Was it swapped out?

Nope, original engine. The shop thinks that it could be a sticking or loose piece in the variable intake system. The improvement when using 0W-30 could have been a coincidence, but it doesn't seem likely to me. I still suspect that it was a sticking lifter but it remains a mystery.

Thanks to all for the input. I will genuinely reconsider the Mobil 1 factory fill.

The Synthoil Premium is Group III. The High Tech is Group IV. Seeing you are in Texas. You can pick up some Kendall GT-1 5W-40 for cheaper then the Mobil 1 0W-40. It meets the same specs, including Porsche A40.

Kendall Euro

I've never been a fan of the Amsoil AFL since its reformulation to mimick VW 505.01 oils.

Amsoil DEO is closer in properties to the original AFL formula, which was only 502.00/505.00

The Porsche A40.... does seem to be approved with many VW 502.00/505.00 & 505.01 approved oils.

"2500 miles per year" means the AMSOIL ought to last you about 4 years, or so...

Typically Porsche has a large capacity (as in 8.2 quarts for a 3.4L engine!) and I would imagine the factory OCI is in that range, and no freezing, etc.

Or towing, for that matter!

Hi,
DrivinWest - As stated by others you should use the A40 List as the baseline

As for M1 0W-40 it has an oustanding record with Porsche and its engines. It is also a well proven race lubricant

As a long term Porsche Owner my comments are laced with experience - and lots of UOAs too. From long term Stuttgart contacts to driving on the Nurburgring and working on my first Porsche - a 356 in Copenhagen in 1967. I have also had a little to do with Mobil.......

Last edited:
No other oils are readily available at almost any parts store, Walmart included, than M1 0W40. The regular price is $6.xx a quart at WM is very reasonable too, and the bonus is it is on sale at least once a quarter at 1 of the chain stores.

The red Pegasus' 0W-40 certainly does look like it's your oil of choice.
wink.gif

But, to further complicate things, Motul is releasing their 0W-40 300V at the end of this month.
Not sure on it meeting/beating the A40 specs though.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
No other oils are readily available at almost any parts store, Walmart included, than M1 0W40. The regular price is $6.xx a quart at WM is very reasonable too, and the bonus is it is on sale at least once a quarter at 1 of the chain stores.

HTSS_TR, cut that out. With those kind of prices for M1 0W-40 you're just going to make Doug Hillary terribly jealous!
The best deals are when they throw in an M1 oil filter on a 5qt purchase for $29.95.

Hi,
CATERHAM - At our local "SuperCheap" store yesterday M1 0W-40 was $A97 for 5 litres. Castrol Edge 0W-40 was on special at $A77

We have always paid dearly here for quality lubricants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back