Porsche A40 for Track use?

Should I just not overthink it and use M1 0w40 FS Euro?

There are some interesting oils on the A40 list so I was wondering if I should maybe try the Motul X-Cess Gen2 5W-40 but if it's only a dumb waste of money, I'd rather use the money for tires and brakes.

I was going to do oil changes at 5k or after 2 track days.

Vehicle is a 718 Boxster GTS with the 2.5L Turbo.

Part of the A40 test is mimicking a number of hours running at Nuremberg race track so I think you would be okay running any A40 spec oil.

royal purple XPR race oils,,viscosity should be checked in owners' book,,check also with summit racing,,they may have suggestions. Torco may also be a thought

Should I just not overthink it and use M1 0w40 FS Euro?

There are some interesting oils on the A40 list so I was wondering if I should maybe try the Motul X-Cess Gen2 5W-40 but if it's only a dumb waste of money, I'd rather use the money for tires and brakes.

I was going to do oil changes at 5k or after 2 track days.

Vehicle is a 718 Boxster GTS with the 2.5L Turbo.
I like higher HTHS in Motul, but both will do excellent on track in that engine.

No concern of M1 0w40 shearing down pretty quick in high temp use?

This engine runs a bit hot even with the third radiator in the GTS.

There should always be concern when you're treating your car like an amusement park and beating it within an inch of it's life.

Whether or not the Mobil 1 0W-40 is stout enough? From what I've seen and read I'd say it's more than up to the task.

If the engine lets go in that little spooled 2.5L when it's getting the spurs put to it, it's probably more from neglect/abuse than the lubricant.

Last edited:
Seems like I can get Motul l X-Cess Gen2 5W-40 5L for $40 shipped from Eeuroparts if I order 3 bottles, might as well get that if there's any chance it's a better oil.

I always thought for 40 grade Euro oils, the 5W40 often had a bit more HTHS and viscosity than the 0W40.

But any oil with A40 should be well up to the task.

No concern of M1 0w40 shearing down pretty quick in high temp use?

This engine runs a bit hot even with the third radiator in the GTS.
The m1 0w40 is the factory fill in porsche gt3 cup race cars and plenty use it the entire race cars life. Either are fine. Flip a coin.

Here is Porsche A40 testing procedure: This test will last 203 hours. The engine, and the oil, will go through: - 4 times the simulation of 35 hours of summer driving, - 4 times the simulation of 13.5 hours of winter driving, - 40 cold starts, - 5 times the simulation of 1-hour sessions on the “Nürburgring” racetrack, - 3.5 hours of “running-in” program Measurements on the engine and on the oil will be done at regular intervals, and the following parameter will be taken into account to grant the approval or not: - torque curve (internal friction), - oxidation of the oil, - Piston cleanliness and ring sticking, - Valve train wear protection. Cam & tappet wear must be less than 10 μm. - Engine cleanliness and sludge: after 203 hours, no deposits must be visible. - Bearing wear protection: visual rating according to Porsche in-house method.

This is from a past Overkill post.

Back