NAPA Synthetic has won me over

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using my stash of NAPA Synthetic 5w20 and have had not one complaint using an OCI of 6-7K. I have noticed that the oil stays clearer looking than when I use MOBIL 1 and it been on sale on a regular every other month basis. I have always used Mobil 1 or Valvoline Syn Power on my vehicles and have gotten up to the high 200 k out of all my cars. In order to save a few bucks im going to be an avid NAPA synthetic guy for awhile.

Wonder how their 15W50 compares to M1`s 15W50? I`ve been very tempted to try it,BUT,the M1 is dirt cheap via WM 5 quart jugs,and has a killer add pack.

It's good stuff..been using for a few years now, with no issues at all.

Even my wife's car, which is used to a diet of M1, runs well on it as well. (so far)...

I like it too. Seems to be good stuff. I bought a bunch of it last time it was on sale. The only thing I really don't like is that they don't sell it in the 5 qt jugs. But for the price, I can live with that!

Quote:
It stays clearer because it has less detergents.

Don't you want your oil to get dirty instead of leaving it in the engine? Mobil 1 has a reputation for being a good cleaning oil.

I've got two OCI's worth of Napa synthetic 0w-20 for my Focus that I bought at $3.49/qt a few months back. Not bad! My Focus runs the exact same on any oil I've ever used (0w-20, 5w-20, 5w-30, syn or dino), so I'm sure I'll notice no difference with this Napa syn. But it seems like a good oil at a good price, so I'll happily use it.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:

Don't you want your oil to get dirty instead of leaving it in the engine? Mobil 1 has a reputation for being a good cleaning oil.

If your engine is clean to begin with then the oil will usually stay "clearer". If your engine is dirty to begin with then the oil should blacken. My 1996 Contour and 2002 F-150 both have real clean heads. The oil never goes black. The 96 gets darker because I run it around 8,500 OCI's. The truck gets 1 year 5,000 +/- mile OCI's and it's oil is more "clear".

Whimsey

Is it in fact re-badged Synpower? I couldn`t imagine Ashland making a special oil for Napa only,kind`ve like when people were asking if Mobil made oil especially for Walmart (via 5 quart jugs).

Quote:

+1 Staying clean longer isn't necessarily a good thing.

Quote:
NAPA Synthetic 5w20 and have had not one complaint using an OCI of 6-7K.
So.... No one is saying that it isn't an adequate oil. Probably any top conventional oil would work as well and save you money. Oil analysis is the only way to know what's going on.

Quote:
I couldn`t imagine Ashland making a special oil for Napa only
Why not? It all depends on the volume of oil specified in their contract.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Quote:
NAPA Synthetic 5w20 and have had not one complaint using an OCI of 6-7K.
So.... No one is saying that it isn't an adequate oil. Probably any top conventional oil would work as well and save you money. Oil analysis is the only way to know what's going on.

Quote:
I couldn`t imagine Ashland making a special oil for Napa only
Why not? It all depends on the volume of oil specified in their contract.

Ashland may or may not. Ashland is not exactly a major player in the oil industry compared to XOM;Shell;BP;Chevron. I could see the simplicity and the lower cost of just providing the exact same product as Valvoline to NAPA.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Quote:

+1 Staying clean longer isn't necessarily a good thing.

All these are definite considerations!
[But I'm sure the NAPA oil is very good]

Ashland makes both Napa and carquest oil so it might be that they have one add pack for their own name brand and another for repackaging. VOA would help here

Back in the old days of BITOG (my hair wasn't gray), a number of us called Ashland's tech. line and asked if the NAPA oil was exactly the same as Valvoline. The standard answer was always "NO, the NAPA oil had a weaker add pack (but was a good oil anyway)"

We never concluded if they were telling the truth or just answering in a way to distinguish the two price points.

Somebody should call them again.....maybe Scott is still working the phone lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back