Shifting gears without coming to a complete stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick R
I do this all the time, mostly when backing out of the driveway. If it caused a big jerk and noise, then I wouldn't do it, but it doesn't, it's a smooth transition from reverse to 1st, so I don't worry about it.

Have you checked your manual? It will likely clearly state that you must come to a full stop before moving the gear indicator from D into P, from D into R, or from R into D.

Not a problem with an GOOD transmission. Are there any good trannies still made? I just asking BC Im a MT kinda guy. The last good auto I drove was on my 93 lincoln mark Viii - was that the same trans that was in my Navistar F350 too? That was good. That Lincoln Mark had a nice drive and handling air suspension too (when it worked
smile.gif
Oh the ENTEC engine was super powerful too - i love hhow it would knock like the Fuzz busting a crackhouse when you tried any pretol swill under 93 R+M/2 octane. An the thing had a knock sensor, IIRC.

You are right to come to a complete stop before changing gears F to R, or R to F in an auto tranny.
Not only the trans will benefit, but any gears or U-joints or C/V joints.

Many people whip the car into forward while still going back after backing up. Add this up a few hundred or a few thousand times, and the cumulative damage is real.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Not a problem with an GOOD transmission. Are there any good trannies still made? I just asking BC Im a MT kinda guy. The last good auto I drove was on my 93 lincoln mark Viii - was that the same trans that was in my Navistar F350 too? That was good. That Lincoln Mark had a nice drive and handling air suspension too (when it worked
smile.gif
Oh the ENTEC engine was super powerful too - i love hhow it would knock like the Fuzz busting a crackhouse when you tried any pretol swill under 93 R+M/2 octane. An the thing had a knock sensor, IIRC.

I'm pretty sure those cars had the 4R70W. One of my friends had one in high school with a shift kit. That poor transmission took a beating.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
smile.gif

You are thinking of the 4R70W. It was used in the F-150, Mustang, Crown Vic.....etc.

The one from the 'duty, depending on the year, was the 4R100 (and its predecessor) or the 5R100/5R110.

The 5R100/5R110 was the tranny behind the 6.0L, the 4R100 was the one used behind the 7.3L, and also served duty behind the 6.8L V10, as well as the HD 5.4L applications like the Expedition, F-150 w/5.4L 2V w/tow package....etc.

I once threw my '71 Ford into park doing about 20 mph. Sure made a racket, but finally lurched to a stop. Park still worked after that. Was a full size ford with the 302 V8 (they rated them in cubic inches back in them days).

I do it all the time. I know the timing for my trans to complete the shift. By the time its actually making the shift, Im stopped. So I am only stopped for a moment. It almost looks like Im not stopping at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back