Clutchless shifting a manual

Krrghhh Have done it on one occasion because I had no choice and then a few times to develop that skill. Ultimately the learning process included a lot of unpleasant sounds so I didn't pursue it enough to master the rev/speed matching.

If you're any sort of real driver, this isn't hard and is really fun. You just have to know speeds in gears and rev match up and down. It gets to be really entertaining. I used to make a game of trying to drive one of our pair of '86 Civic Wagons on my 25 mile commute without ever touching either the brake or clutch pedal and I could sometimes do this. Added a little interest to a drive I did every work day and still do. The game with the HAH is to use regen and never have to touch the brake pedal all the way to work and I can sometimes do that as well, although since no shifting is involved it isn't as much fun.

It sure can be done, but you cannot compare to the big rigs. Why? Because the big rigs do not have synchronizers and you get direct feedback when the gears aren’t at the same speed which is grinding, even a slight difference in speeds will cause it. So you will learn the exact point where the gears don’t grind.

In synchronized transmissions that feedback is not there unless the gears speeds are vastly different. So you end up wearing the synchronizers a lot because it’s hard to know when the gear speeds are matched exactly.
That is why it’s not recommended to do clutchless shifts on synchronized transmission on regular basis.

Back