Neglected lubrication point

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's not something everyone thinks about, but if you have a truck or car that stores the spare tire so that it's exposed to the elements, don't forget to lube the assembly that drops the spare. I just spent over an hour trying to get my spare to drop on my 2500HD. Not fun...

Also if you have a lock on the spare tire winch, to know where it is. I have lost count of how many times we have to cut the cable and order a new winch for a customer that lost the locking key to their winch.

On a similar note, make sure you go through the motions and practise replacing a tire with the equipment on board every time you buy a used car. It's uncover any deficiencies with the equipment or the person changing the tire.

Even more important: KEEP IT AIRED UP! Too many times I have seen someone on the roadside or in a parking lot looking at a "new" spare tire that hasn't ever been dropped before that has maybe 5 PSI left in it. You cannot tell by just looking. Use a gauge. I pump my full size spares to 45 PSI, and the doughnuts to 60.

This is very good advice. I cant remember how many times I would have to break off a bolt when dropping a spare tire from a Chrysler PT Cruiser. If there was some anti-seize applied at the factory, those bolts would probably not rust together.

This is why I get my car KROWN rust proofed every year. The stuff works.

I also touch up areas that need any attention with my aerosol bottle of KROWN T-40. Should never see any substantial rust on my Civic as long as I own it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back