Considering an upgrade to Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
In my experience, Xp is the best OS on a pentium 4, but Debian is always a good alternative, particularly given the systems age.

In all honesty, go on newegg and pickup a low end tower.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883157303

194 bucks will get you to a core 2 duo, and more modern ram (ddr2)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108662

279 bucks will get you into a system that will run 7 like a champ, and can be upgraded a lot more.

I already have an Intel i7 Core laptop, and cash is tight.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
... I'll do a fresh install of Win XP, clean things up a bit and call it good!

I agree with this conclusion, for reasons (including your own) already written in this thread.

And consider that Windows XP is on cloud nine with 2GB memory, whereas Windows 7 can barely breathe with that much memory.

Imo I'd just buy a new computer over putting a new hdd and w7 on that antique.

you can even find used core2duo for sub-200$ now with w7 on it.

2GB is plenty for w7. If you have more it just preloads commonly used items.. it doesnt really "need more"

Last edited:
I'd not waste the effort on win7 unless you want to go 64bit and use 4GB or more of RAM. Like others said most software still support XP and unless you are building or buying a new PC, stay with XP make sense.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Imo I'd just buy a new computer over putting a new hdd and w7 on that antique.

you can even find used core2duo for sub-200$ now with w7 on it.

2GB is plenty for w7. If you have more it just preloads commonly used items.. it doesnt really "need more"

The hard drive won't go to waste, and I already have a Core i7 machine, which is why I'd rather not buy another machine. When I'm ready to buy another tower I'll build one from scratch.

I bet if I ask enough people I know I'll find someone pitching something a little newer than this, and it will feed my hobby a bit more. For the computing I do with this machine is works well. The bigger hard drive will house 313 GB of music while I decide what to do with it. Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back