Gaming PC Upgrade Advice

I'm also considering lowering my standards on the 4k and put more into the hardware. Instead of 4k, go with a cheaper 1440 and shoot for higher fps. I'm not going bigger than a 27" monitor anyway. Instead, put more money into the CPU with a 5900x (or equivalent) and 3070 GPU. I'll also stick with 32GB ram for now.
I’d recommend getting a X3D CPU if you do that. At 4K GPU is more important, but at 1440p and 1080p the CPU becomes a bit more important.

I’d recommend getting a X3D CPU if you do that. At 4K GPU is more important, but at 1440p and 1080p the CPU becomes a bit more important.
Honestly I wouldn't even sweat it, any mid range current or last gen CPU will be more than capable of keeping up with a GPU, especially a mid level GPU.

I watched some benchmarks on CPU bottlenecking, Gamers nexus I think it was, and it took something like an i3 to truly bottleneck a 3090 or 3080. It's a non issue for any mid to upper end CPUs.

So i wrote out this giant reply then realized I thought the OP had a 3060ti he has a 980.

I'd buy once and cry once.

4k monitor and a 4070ti or 7900xt.

Dont buy used graphics card you will likely get some beat down card that was used for mining.

you could also go 3060($370) and QHD monitor(-200) which would be budget.

a 3070 at $550 is less performance per dollar than a 4070ti. but is considerably faster than a 3060 or 3060ti.

Amd's 6950 last gen flagship was 650 last week.. which is another decent "value" option.

About 30-40% faster than the 3070 for another ~$100

Note: mostly using value as performance per dollar...not meaning budget option.

Last edited:
UPDATE!

After months of research, I ordered the following...

Asus ROG B550-F
AMD 5900X
Asus 6800XT
Mushkin Redline 2x16GB DDR4-3600 cl16
1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD
Noctua NH-U12S cooler

I'm carrying over my case, psu, and HDD. I'm upgrading the fans from the Corsair AF120L 120mm fans to Arctic P14 140mm fans. I also ordered Arctic MX5 thermal paste and splitters. In a couple months, I'll upgrade the 27" 1080p 60hz monitor to a 27" 1440p 120hz monitor.

My PC has served me well for 8 years, but it's time to upgrade.

My current PC (built Spring 2015)...

Asus Z97-A mobo
Intel i5-4690k cpu
Nvidia GTX 980 gpu
G.Skill DDR3-2400 32GB ram
WD 250 GB SSD + 1TB HD
Corsair 900w psu

I can play most games on 1080p at 60 fps on high settings with a few exceptions. I'm upgrading my monitor to a 4k (3840 x 2160) monitor with 144 mhz refresh rate. Here's the upgraded build idea, reusing my psu, case, sound card, wifi card, and so forth...

x470 mobo
5800X3D cpu
RTX 3060-ti gpu
DDR4-3200 64GB ram
2TB SSD + 4TB HD

A friend suggested that since I don't care to go above 120 fps (I can't honestly tell the difference above that anyway) that the cpu is overkill, and I could go cheaper there and put more money toward a better gpu and ram like this....

x470 mobo
5600 cpu
RTX 3070 gpu
DDR4 3600 64GB ram
2TB SSD + 4TB HD

I mostly play open world strategy / objective based games like ARK:SE, GTA V, RDR2, etc... I don't really have a set budget, but not going to spend $1k on a gpu either. Any advice appreciated.

No reason to buy new 3rd gen GPUs anymore, unless the price is right and your demand signal is low (no 4k unless its a 3080)
I belive the price difference to equivalent 4th gens is small.

My current and relatively recent rig, is not too different from yours in final perforemance (exceptt your chip may be stronger but mine overclocks very nicely) :

- i9 10900KF for 320 (USD), is runnign well, slightly overclocked but I still wish I would have gone 12900 or even 13900KF
- 320mm liquid cooling system
- Z390 (I think) MB
- 64GB of 3200/DDR4 RAM
- NVIDIA 4070 for $600. I am very satisfied with the 4070.
Runs at half the power than a 3080, a $100 less than a 3080, at identical Performance (give or take game dependent)
So no seperate liquid cooling needed for the GPU.
- 2x 1T SSD each and one 4T HDD.

Total stagnation.
That’s pretty much 3080 performance and 3080 lunch pricing, but packaged as a 70 series card.

Basically performance per dollar, there is no generational improvement.
Earlier this year I was undecided between a 3080 and a 4070.
But then researched and found the 4070 uses half the power than a 3080, performs about same, runs cooler and is 100 bucks less.
Its a no brainer.

Earlier this year I was undecided between a 3080 and a 4070.
But then researched and found the 4070 uses half the power than a 3080, performs about same, runs cooler and is 100 bucks less.
Its a no brainer.

If you’re happy, you’re happy. And Nvidia is especially happy for giving them such an easy pass and money.

You should be comparing it to the outgoing model RTX3070.
The 4070 it 20% more expensive and gives about 20% more performance, hence my total stagnation comment. And you lost 4gb of memory in the process.

The build is together but having issues with display. See build specs above.

I've quadruple checked that all of the PCIe cables are plugged in tight and correctly, the GPU is firmly in the slot, and the HDMI cable is plugged into the GPU.

I don't think it's the PSU as a friend loaned me his 1000W PSU to try and got the same issue. Plus, it's doing this with little to no load on the GPU.

About half the time, when I power on the PC, there's no signal to the monitor. No display at all. If I power it on and off a few times, I will eventually see a display, can get in UEFI / Bios, and boot Windows 10. From there, it will randomly crash to black screen and no signal. It's done it just sitting at the Windows home screen so no real load on the GPU. When I go to install the GPU driver, it wants to crash to black screen, except one time I got it to fully install... and still crashed.

Previous GPU is a GTX 980. I ran DDU (in safe mode) to start with a clean slate with the new GPU before installing it. I swapped the 980 back in and it works fine. I tried DDU again and same issue.

The one time it stayed up long enough to install the driver, it showed up in device manager but with a warning stating something along the lines of being disabled due to the device not working properly. Before I could dig into that, it crashed, and haven't been able to get that far again.

All other drivers are up to date. The BIOS is updated to latest version. I'm not really sure where to go from here. If it's the GPU itself and I have to RMA it, so be it, but I want to exhaust all other options before resorting to that. I'd hate to exchange it for another one only to still have the same issue.

Read the manual, is the DRAM in the correct slots? With correct voltage?
Try displayport to displayport or DP to HDMI if the monitor only has hdmi.

I miss the days when you could own a motherboard that was compatible with multiple memory architectures allowing you to reuse the ram from your old machine on the new one.

I miss the days when you could own a motherboard that was compatible with multiple memory architectures allowing you to reuse the ram from your old machine on the new one.
Well your old sticks works, just way to slow for Ryzen memory-fabric. Woops DDR3 I see.
DDR5 will probably "stick"around for a while.

Read the manual, is the DRAM in the correct slots? With correct voltage?
Try displayport to displayport or DP to HDMI if the monitor only has hdmi.

The manual doesn't tell me much. The RAM is in the right slots (2 and 4) and voltage is correct.

Everything works fine with the GTX 980. It's only with the 6800XT that it has issues.

Not to crap on your new build but any reason why you went with upgrading to previous gen
newer & faster for near the same price afaik.

Or one gen back they had a crazy combo with 12900k 32gb ram and mobo for under 400$

I'd stay nvidia. 4060 is 229 open box at bestbuy or 300 new. 4070 now around 550$ 4060 ti <400

Not to crap on your new build but any reason why you went back to old parts?
newer & faster for near the same price afaik.

Or one gen back they had a crazy combo with 12900k 32gb ram and mobo for under 400$

I'd stay nvidia. 4060 is 229 open box at bestbuy or 300 new. 4070 now around 550$ 4060 ti

4070s are a scam. AM5 motherboards and CPU's are expensive just as DDR5.
Dude has yet to upgrade to 2k/1440p, seems like real good budgeting to me.

4070s are a scam. AM5 motherboards and CPU's are expensive just as DDR5.
Microcenter ftw? not sure where you are going with 4070 is a scam.. at least nvidia works when you want to game.
I had so many bad amd driver experiences I wont buy another one.. and I was REALLY tempted for a 7900xtx price mistake at 799$ instead of my 4070ti.

Not a fanboy of red or green.

Rocking RTX 3070 myself.

Was a alot of controversy at launch. Google it.
Die size small compared to previous gen 70cards. Price at launch and mem-bus.
Should have been called 4060 and priced thereafter.

Used 3060 to 3080 or new 4080 are/was a better choice IMO. Not fully updated on prices atm.

Back