New 2012 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I have a new F150 with 5.0 engine. I would like to use the best oil I can in this new truck, It has 2k and I would like to change LOF with 5-20 penn ultra would this be a good choice? Is there any issue with that oil?

I've never heard anything bad about Ultra other than that it probably doesn't perform any better than Pennzoil Platinum or QSUD for that matter. It will just cost you a bit more. Use what you want with no worries.

Nothing in the manual about waiting on synthetic oil?

PU just may be the best easily available (meaning some Walmarts) reasonably priced oil available. $27.75/ 5 QT jug.

I order ATF and gear oil from Amsoil but for oil I get PU at Walmart. Except for the Cummins.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
My Chevy OLM tells me the current fill of Pennzoil Ultra is down to 60% at 2,500 miles on this change! What are the 2012 OCI's for Ford?

The OLM does not know what oil you are using, its using various engine metrics to determine the 60%. You could have "A1 Super Oil" from Big Lots in the engine and it would say the same thing.

(That was a made up name, don't go looking for it at Big Lots).

For a normally inspired V8 in a Ford pickup. I would just use a quality 5W-20 oil that is on sale and change with a motorcraft filter every 5-7.5K and the engine will keep going until you grow tired of your pickup. At least this is what I do with my pickup.

Originally Posted By: YANCEY
Guys I have a new F150 with 5.0 engine. I would like to use the best oil I can in this new truck, It has 2k and I would like to change LOF with 5-20 penn ultra would this be a good choice? Is there any issue with that oil?

I know nothing useful about Fords, but I would suggest Motorcraft brand semi-synthetic in the proper grade. It is available at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Donald
My Chevy OLM tells me the current fill of Pennzoil Ultra is down to 60% at 2,500 miles on this change! What are the 2012 OCI's for Ford?

The OLM does not know what oil you are using, its using various engine metrics to determine the 60%. You could have "A1 Super Oil" from Big Lots in the engine and it would say the same thing.

So if I put A1 Super Oil in the same engine with 2,500 miles would it be in the same shape? Most likely NOT!

So if I put A1 Super Oil in the same engine with 2,500 miles would it be in the same shape? Most likely NOT!

It would be in worse shape, but the OLM would still report 60%. OLM or MM are generally designed to keep an oil of the recommended specification within operational specifications between changes. If the A1 Super Oil carried that certification, it should make it in theory. Higher quality oil should make it with more room for error...

Originally Posted By: Coprolite

It would be in worse shape, but the OLM would still report 60%. OLM or MM are generally designed to keep an oil of the recommended specification within operational specifications between changes. If the A1 Super Oil carried that certification, it should make it in theory. Higher quality oil should make it with more room for error...

That is exactly what I was trying to point out. It you did an UOA of PU and A1 Super Oil after 2500 miles I think the PU might have a better UOA. And PU is better for your engine. But still the OLM would show 60% regardless. In fact you could fill the truck with 5 QTs of pure MMO and run it for 2500 miles and the OLM would show 60%, thats if the truck made it 2500 miles on pure MMO.

That is exactly what I was trying to point out. It you did an UOA of PU and A1 Super Oil after 2500 miles I think the PU might have a better UOA. And PU is better for your engine. But still the OLM would show 60% regardless. In fact you could fill the truck with 5 QTs of pure MMO and run it for 2500 miles and the OLM would show 60%, thats if the truck made it 2500 miles on pure MMO. [/quote]

And my big response is MMO. JUST SAY NO!

Originally Posted By: dave1251
That is exactly what I was trying to point out. It you did an UOA of PU and A1 Super Oil after 2500 miles I think the PU might have a better UOA. And PU is better for your engine. But still the OLM would show 60% regardless. In fact you could fill the truck with 5 QTs of pure MMO and run it for 2500 miles and the OLM would show 60%, thats if the truck made it 2500 miles on pure MMO.

And my big response is MMO. JUST SAY NO! [/quote]

OK, its out now...the OLM is just a fancy Tripometer! >LOL<

OK, its out now...the OLM is just a fancy Tripometer! >LOL<

Its kind of like a microwave permanently set on popcorn. As long as you put popcorn in it works great. Pot Roast not so well.

Last edited:
[/quote]

So if I put A1 Super Oil in the same engine with 2,500 miles would it be in the same shape? Most likely NOT! [/quote]

It may depend on how Super A-1's Super oil really is then wouldn't it... just Super or truly Super Duper...
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back