Redline oil ester based for nissan's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nissan happens to only have ester oils that are sold in a Genuine Nissan bottle, otherwise you are using whatever the dealer buys in bulk or what's in the stock room which could be a variety of things. The ester oils are only promoted by Nissan in the 3.7l engines found in the new Z and a variety of Infiniti models.

Nissan does have a National oil program with ExxonMobil and Mobil 1 is part of said program. Nissan more than recognizes it being a sufficient replacement to the not so impressive Nissan ester oil. Mobil 1 0W-40 is the factory fill in the GT-R for what it's worth. Can;t go wrong with M1. That would be my recommendation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Short answer is no.

Not sure where your "short answer" comes from. Nissan recommendstheir ester oil but I have never seen it be required.
I use Redline 5W-30 in my Nissan 370Z which is a hot running engine known to be hard on oil. I don't push it past 5K OCI's and several Blackstone reports I have run show it is performing well. Plus, you can get it delivered for less than $10.25 per qt. if ordered by the case. The Nissan ester oil runs $13-14 per qt. at the dealer and is not believed to be anything special.

As others have pointed out, neither the Nissans or Infinitis require the Nissan Genuine Ester oil. It was recommended for the 370Z and G37 at times. It is alarmingly expensive, yet isn't all that great, either, according to UOAs. And it's certainly not ester based.

Red Line, as far as I know, does not meet SM/GF-4, which is required for the latest Nissans. If what you're driving requires an older specification or is out of warranty, no problem.

For my G37, Nissan Ester wasn't even a consideration. I've been running PYB 5w-30 for the severe service interval.

As Flying_A states, the dealers use Mobil products, both conventional and synthetic, in their oil changes, both in the States and in Canada.

Garak gave a slightly longer answer. Obviously, the short answer lacks detail, but ester is irrelevant...the oil recommendation is more related to nano tech than the ester...

Originally Posted By: Dwight_Frye
Short answer is no.

Not sure where your "short answer" comes from. Nissan recommendstheir ester oil but I have never seen it be required.
I use Redline 5W-30 in my Nissan 370Z which is a hot running engine known to be hard on oil. I don't push it past 5K OCI's and several Blackstone reports I have run show it is performing well. Plus, you can get it delivered for less than $10.25 per qt. if ordered by the case. The Nissan ester oil runs $13-14 per qt. at the dealer and is not believed to be anything special.
Originally Posted By: Garak
As others have pointed out, neither the Nissans or Infinitis require the Nissan Genuine Ester oil. It was recommended for the 370Z and G37 at times. It is alarmingly expensive, yet isn't all that great, either, according to UOAs. And it's certainly not ester based.

Red Line, as far as I know, does not meet SM/GF-4, which is required for the latest Nissans. If what you're driving requires an older specification or is out of warranty, no problem.

For my G37, Nissan Ester wasn't even a consideration. I've been running PYB 5w-30 for the severe service interval.

As Flying_A states, the dealers use Mobil products, both conventional and synthetic, in their oil changes, both in the States and in Canada.
Short answer is no.

Nissan does recommend ester oil.. And redline 5w-30 advertises as ester oil which is cheaper than Nissan ester oil... Is there any other brands that offer ester oil?

Originally Posted By: awoess
Nissan does recommend ester oil.. And redline 5w-30 advertises as ester oil which is cheaper than Nissan ester oil... Is there any other brands that offer ester oil?

What does the oil section in your manual ask for? What grade and what API/ILSAC specification? I'm assuming it's asking for 5w-30 in resource conserving, but is it SJ, SL, or SM? Is it under warranty?

The darn Red Line site is down right now, so I cannot check what API specifications Red Line holds. I'm confident it doesn't hold SM or SN certifications. I'm virtually certain it won't hold ILSAC GF-4 or GF-5 resource conserving certifications. If under warranty, that is an issue.

Do note, however, that Nissan doesn't recommend actual ester oil. Nissan recommends their ester oil, and for two reasons. First, they charge astronomical prices for it, and people are apparently willing to pay them. Secondly, it was designed to treat one specific issue, and that was a ticking sound at about 2,000 rpms in some of the VQ type engines. Not all engines have that issue; mine does not. Nissan/Infiniti has stated that it's merely a cosmetic issue, and has nothing to do with premature wear or actual engine problems. Nissan doesn't recommend actual ester oil, since there really aren't any that have the latest API and ILSAC certifications; if you want to be picky, they essential prohibit them.

If you're set on a primarily ester based oil, you have a couple problems. The Nissan ester oil isn't ester based, not by a long shot. Secondly, if you're under warranty, you're simply not going to readily find an ester based oil with SM/GF-4 or SN/GF-5 certification.

If you're not under warranty or don't care or simply can use older specifications, there is Red Line, old style API SL rated Royal Purple (with a sulphurised ester), and Royal Purple HPS (non-API certified) which spring to mind. Also, check here for ExxonMobil's views on the issue.

Originally Posted By: awoess

Motul 300v uses a lot of ester I believe. They advertise it as "Tri-Ester technolgy" or some such.

Originally Posted By: JAG
The ester is Nissan's oil is glycerol monooleate, a friction-reducing additive. It's not an ester base oil.

+1

Tom NJ

That is not a problem in my opinion since the "fix" Nissan came up with was an oil with GMO additive, not an oil with ester base oils. Those are two very different things.

My son recently bought a 2008 G37 - the last model year that the G37 had a non direct injection engine I believe. Would GC 0W-30 be a good oil for this engine? It's SL rated, not SM - but it's a thick (12.2 cSt @ 100 C) 30 weight, and seems to hold up well in other engines that are considered to be "hard on oil".

Thank you.

We know that Redline 5W-30 oil does not meet the SM/GF-4 specifications but does that mean that Redline just has not submitted their oil and spent a ton of money to have it certified ? Being a small boutique oil company I could see that.
But does anyone really knowthat it is inferior to the new SM/GF4 standards ?
If it is I'm switching to PYB or PU if I can find it.

Originally Posted By: pmt
My son recently bought a 2008 G37 - the last model year that the G37 had a non direct injection engine I believe. Would GC 0W-30 be a good oil for this engine? It's SL rated, not SM - but it's a thick (12.2 cSt @ 100 C) 30 weight, and seems to hold up well in other engines that are considered to be "hard on oil".

Thank you.

It would work fine, if you are out of warranty or don't care about that aspect. We've run it in our EX35 and G35 without any issue.

We know that Redline 5W-30 oil does not meet the SM/GF-4 specifications but does that mean that Redline just has not submitted their oil and spent a ton of money to have it certified ? Being a small boutique oil company I could see that.
But does anyone really knowthat it is inferior to the new SM/GF4 standards ?
If it is I'm switching to PYB or PU if I can find it.

The only reason that Red Line 5w30 doesn't meet SM is that it has Phosphorous content above the API limit. Its performance far exceeds API requirements.

PMT- The G37 still doesn't employ GDI. G37s like M1, PU, PP and GC is fine, too. Depending on what the manual says regarding API rating would help decide. With the car taking one WM jug, the economics push many towards M1/PU/PP if they go synthetic.

The VVEL tick issue was addressed in two ways by the Nissan "Ester" oil. One part was the Ester oil and the other was some special nanoparticles. This issue only hits a limited number of '08s to my knowledge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back