fuel filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a John Deere mower w/ a 22hp B&S engine. When the mower is running, should the fuel filter be completely full of fuel, or is it normal to be only half full? I ask because sometimes the mower runs rough, and Im trying to figure how to smooth out the engine.

Originally Posted By: Donald
As long as its full to above the top of the outlet hose, your fine.

If its not, how do I help fill the filter up?

I think if the line is "unfilled" there, that would indicate the filter is restrictive/ or plugged. So, the gas is used faster on the carb. side... the gravity feed can't follow demand, by the Filter being a ckoke point.

Its only got 40 hours, I would not have thought it would clogged. I'll pick up another one today, and put it on to see if that helps.

Originally Posted By: TravsRam
I have a John Deere mower w/ a 22hp B&S engine. When the mower is running, should the fuel filter be completely full of fuel, or is it normal to be only half full? I ask because sometimes the mower runs rough, and Im trying to figure how to smooth out the engine.

I have a JD 335 and it is pretty normal to look like it is half filled....

I know that's how my Kohler powered mowers always were. The large inline fuel filters never completely filled with fuel.

As far as the engine running rough thing; Does it start OK, idle and run up to max RPM OK?

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
I know that's how my Kohler powered mowers always were. The large inline fuel filters never completely filled with fuel.

As far as the engine running rough thing; Does it start OK, idle and run up to max RPM OK?

Joel

It runs decent after it gets going. Sometimes I have re-choke it a couple times while it is running to smooth it out. As far starting, In the summertime, it starts right, a little sluggish in the winter.

Last edited:
I have a 20HP Briggs in my L111. The fuel filter shows that bubble. That is normal due to consumption being greater on one side, i.e. fuel is not under pressure to carb.

The warm-up roughness is normal with a carbed motor. It may take half choke after start up to run, as dependent on temp.

If you suspect a lack in fuel delivery, try closing the throttle and see if it stabilizes.

It is normal for air to get trapped in the fuel filter, but the exit will still be all fuel. I have seen the same thing on the fuel filter for my 10 HP generator, and it runs fine.

If some air does get to the carb it will not have any effect because the float and needle valve will work to keep the fuel level where it should be.

If you are having problems with your engine I would NOT be looking at the air in the fuel filter as any sign of a problem.

If you make the fuel flow up hill as it exits, (for a short time, or always) the air will flow upward while the fuel exit is upward, and the air will exit the filter.

BTW, if you install the fuel filter so the fuel in flows to the part of the filter element that you can see, then you can see if the filter element has a build-up of dirt, and therefore can tell by looking at it if it requires replacment.

If you install the fuel filter so the fuel in flows to the inside of the filter element that you can not see, then you can not see if the filter element has a build-up of dirt, and therefore can not know when you have to replace it.

However think about how many hours your average vehicle clocks on a fuel filter before it requires replacement. Even though small engines use small filters, they also use a small amount of fuel.

As per someone on this forum, I used a cap full of Kreen per gl in my JD and it really made my Kawasaki engine run smooth. It was bogging down after 30 minutes of use and that went away with Kreen. Fuel system must of been gummed up, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back